Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Dome Six (Cytocorp Saga, #1)
This topic is about Dome Six
Book Cover Help > Replace cover, please

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.P. (new)

C.P. James (realcodyjames) | 13 comments Please update The Technician by C.P. James with a new cover. Everything else is exactly the same. You can find a copy of the new cover at https://cpjames.com/wp-content/upload.... If it's not large enough, I can provide another. Thank you!

message 2: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2407 comments Has the existing cover been used for any advanced reader copies of the book?

Also, the current publication date shows as 6/30/19 and the book record on GoodReads shows as a Kindle, but the Kindle is not available yet on Amazon. I noticed an ebook version available on the author's site. Should the current book record and the 6/30/19 be associated with the ebook edition?

message 3: by C.P. (new)

C.P. James (realcodyjames) | 13 comments Yes, they should both be associated with the ebook edition, which is the only edition that will ever exist. This is a free prequel novella I'm using as a list builder so it's not on Amazon, but it is available in the Kindle format (through Bookfunnel). I modified the cover slightly to align more closely with the trilogy it precedes.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13146 comments Do you have to sign up for a newsletter or website to read it?

message 5: by Albert (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:37AM) (new)

Albert | 2407 comments As a reader of Bookfunnel, it appears that you have to provide an email address only.

message 6: by C.P. (new)

C.P. James (realcodyjames) | 13 comments Yes.

message 7: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2407 comments Has there ever been an ISBN assigned?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Albert wrote: "Has there ever been an ISBN assigned?"

That's not really relevant. if it is only available through a site that requires an account or subscription to access it, we would not consider it a published work.

message 9: by Albert (last edited Jan 22, 2020 10:42AM) (new)

Albert | 2407 comments rivka wrote: "Albert wrote: "Has there ever been an ISBN assigned?"

That's not really relevant. if it is only available through a site that requires an account or subscription to access it, we would not conside..."

So if it is not a published work, what happens with the existing book record?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
If it met our criteria for a published work but has no ISBN/ASIN, we would just add a new edition with the new cover. However, it seems likely we will need to delete it altogether.

message 11: by C.P. (new)

C.P. James (realcodyjames) | 13 comments I'm confused. It's a free reader magnet, eBook only. All you have to do to get it is provide a first name and email, which subscribes you to my mailing list but if you don't want to stay on it, you just unsubscribe and you still have the book for your trouble. I don't see how this is fundamentally different from having a permafree book on Amazon, which DOES require an account to obtain, or any other eBook platform for that matter.

As far as being "published" or not goes, I don't see where you have defined that term here. For example, if a book was of print and/or exceedingly difficult to obtain, is it still "published?"

Since many indie authors rely on these works to build their lists, I would suggest that you articulate a clear policy around reader magnets. In the meantime, I guess I'd better grab any quotes I need from the great reviews I've gotten.