21st Century Literature discussion

Book Chat > Authors Posting Kindle Notes on Their Own Books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (last edited Jan 16, 2020 06:48PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2498 comments This week I encountered Kindle Notes posted by two authors for their own books. Is this a new trend? If so, what do you think of it? Useful? Simply an advertising ploy? More nuanced?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 452 comments Lily wrote: "This week I encountered Kindle Notes posted by two authors for their own books. Is this a new trend? If so, what do you think of it? Useful? Simply an advertising ploy? More nuanced?"

Not useful. Just another piece of content for marketing. Clutter.

message 3: by Sara G (new)

Sara G | 44 comments I saw Station Eleven, what was the other one? The Station Eleven notes are definitely marketing for her upcoming book, but I am always interested in hearing how a writer crafted their work.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2498 comments Sara G wrote: "I saw Station Eleven, what was the other one? The Station Eleven notes are definitely marketing for her upcoming book, but I am always interested in hearing how a writer crafted their work."

Philippa Gregory posted notes and highlights from The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2717 comments Mod
I saw the Station Eleven notes, as well, but skimmed past it without realizing it was the author who had posted notes. I went back after Lily's post and read a few of the notes. At first, it seemed pretty cool because, like Sara G, I enjoy hearing about a writer's craft but there seemed to be a lot of superficial comments (they felt kinda random and forced). I think this could be an interesting thing depending on how it is done, but these particular ones went south pretty quickly for me (also, I wasn't a huge fan of the book, so that probably has an influence, too).

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 457 comments Marc wrote: " At first, it seemed pretty cool because, like Sara G, I enjoy hearing about a writer's craft but there seemed to be a lot of superficial comments (they felt kinda random and forced)..."

Kinda starts to make me wonder if it was really the author's work or a marketing gimmick from the publisher..... Maybe just my 21st century paranoia....

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Other Boleyn Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philippa Gregory (other topics)