Reading Envy Readers discussion

The Odyssey
This topic is about The Odyssey
Readalong: The Odyssey > Announcing the upcoming readalong

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 992 comments Mod
This was one of the four books I included in my goals episode as one I was going to consider for a 2020 readalong. I had so many immediate responses about this book in particular, and then Audible put the audiobook on sale this week for subscribers, it just felt like the right time to just call it.

I don't have a schedule yet but it will be February March ish. If you are an Audible subscriber and it's before January 21, you can get a copy for $5.95 (not a paid advertisement.) I went ahead and purchased the audio but my primary read will be the hardcover which I was given for my birthday last year and have never opened.

Have you ever read The Odyssey?

Robin | 54 comments I’ve read The Iliad, but not The Odyssey. It feels like I’ve read The Odyssey, but I’ve only read around it. Both An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn and Sailing Home: Using the Wisdom of Homer's Odyssey to Navigate Life's Perils and Pitfall by Norman Fischer are two personal favorites. I’m excited to read the Emily Wilson translation which I’ve had on my reading shelves since it was published. So glad you picked it for your first 2020 readalong!

Daisey | 8 comments I had been seriously considering getting this audio version while it was on sale, and this announcement made my decision. I think rereading The Odyssey as part of a readalong will be great! Along with this new translation on audio I have a print copy of another translation for reference as well.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 144 comments Robin wrote: "I’ve read The Iliad, but not The Odyssey. It feels like I’ve read The Odyssey, but I’ve only read around it. Both An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn and Sailing Home: Usin..."

I also feel like I've read it because I've read several books that draw from it. I bought the Wilson translation as soon as it came out in paperback, and I almost never buy new books. But I haven't cracked it open yet - I do need a group to actually read it. So, Yay!

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb | 22 comments I've never read The Odyssey but have wanted to!! I've read many books that have been based on the Odyssey. This read a long is giving me the push. I'm in!!

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 176 comments Great! I’ll use my next Audible credit on it. I’ve read it before, I think in high school, looking forward to reading it again.

Jessica (thebluestocking) (jessicaesq) | 5 comments This will be fun! I in 2018 I read the new translation by Emily Wilson and loved it. It looks like that's the one for sale on Audible. Is that the official read along translation?

Mina (minaphillips) | 29 comments I read this in HS and participated in a read-along with one of my kids in HS. But it's been a long time. Listened to the sample on Audible. I'm in for the read along.

Robin wrote: "I’ve read The Iliad, but not The Odyssey. It feels like I’ve read The Odyssey, but I’ve only read around it. Both An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn and Sailing Home: Usin..."

I've read Ulysses which uses The Odyssey as a structure and for some thematic content.

Daisey wrote: "I had been seriously considering getting this audio version while it was on sale, and this announcement made my decision. I think rereading The Odyssey as part of a readalong will be great! Along w..."

Awesome. I'm getting ready to set up the schedule.

Nadine wrote: "Robin wrote: "I’ve read The Iliad, but not The Odyssey. It feels like I’ve read The Odyssey, but I’ve only read around it. Both An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn and Sail..."

Same! I added it to my wishlist and got it as a gift but still haven't cracked it.

Jessica (thebluestocking) wrote: "This will be fun! I in 2018 I read the new translation by Emily Wilson and loved it. It looks like that's the one for sale on Audible. Is that the official read along translation?"

Yes, I am going to use that one.

Jeff wrote: "Great! I’ll use my next Audible credit on it. I’ve read it before, I think in high school, looking forward to reading it again."

Mina wrote: "I read this in HS and participated in a read-along with one of my kids in HS. But it's been a long time. Listened to the sample on Audible. I'm in for the read along."

Deb wrote: "I've never read The Odyssey but have wanted to!! I've read many books that have been based on the Odyssey. This read a long is giving me the push. I'm in!!"

Woohoo, getting ready to schedule it officially now.