Play Book Tag discussion

Button Man
This topic is about Button Man
January 2020: Thriller > The Button Man by Andrew Gross. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8299 comments The Button Man was the January Jewish Book Club pick - but it happened to fall into the January thriller tag, as well as the New Jersey Mafia state tag for my PBT group. Triple Win for me. Now the book itself... I wouldn't have tagged it a thriller. Its billed as a historical thriller. But I did find it sad and heartbreaking in many places. The story is based on truth and true characters, and brings to life the early days of the garment district and the (Jewish) mafia. An aspect I am not necessarily proud of, but was a part of our history. The hero of the story is Morris (Raab) Rabinowitz, youngest of four sons and six kids, who at age 12 had to become the leader of his family - seemingly the only one who ever stood up to these guys, some who he grew up with. The heroine of the story is clearly wife Ruthie - who is stunning in her devotion and belief in Morris. Little known fact, my grandfather's name was Morris, and he too was a young businessman with no father, trying to make his way in early lower New York. Only he was not in the garment district, he was in the deli business. And he died young. The book was engaging. Less to me of a thriller, with twists and turns and scary or shocking reveals. More of a sad heartbreaking tale of the time. With moments of great resilience in there. Morris is a character all right - and he has integrity and honor. That in that age and environment, as well as in ours today - is no small thing!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6928 comments Amy wrote: "The Button Man was the January Jewish Book Club pick - but it happened to fall into the January thriller tag, as well as the New Jersey Mafia state tag for my PBT group. Triple Win for me. Now the ..."

On the one hand, this sounds interesting. On the other, it sounds emotionally wrenching at times.