SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Member Lists > KITTYKAT's End of the year book summary

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 19, 2020 02:25PM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 334 comments Stolen from Noria (Noria Reads on booktube) and to be edited more to my preferences

1. Favourite Book
2. Underrated Book of the Year
3. DnF of the Year
4. Backlist Title of the Year
5. Best Debut Author
6. Favourite Male Character
7. Favourite Female Character
8. Favourite Non-binary Character
9. Most Hated Book Villain
10. Best Ship
11. Best Ensemble
12. Saddest Book
13. Funniest Read of the Year
14. Book World You Want to Live in
15. Most Dysfunctional Relationship
16. Best Romance Book of the Year
17. Best Sci-fi Book of the Year
18. Best Thriller/Action Book of the Year
19. Best Horror Book of the Year
20. Best Fantasy Book of the Year
21. Best Contemporary Book of the Year
22. Best Period Book of the Year
23. Favourite Writer
24. Best Worldbuilding
25. Favourite Platonic Relationship

Edited 19th Jan to add
Stolen from Dancing Lawn on booktube (via Sandra)

1. Which book you read this year would you recommend to anyone and why?
2. Which book you read this year has taught you something new?
3. Which book you read this year came just at the right time when you needed it?
4. Which book you read this year will stay with you for a long time?
5. Which book you read this year expanded your reading horizons (new genre, author, theme, style, format)?
6. Which bookish things did you particularly enjoy doing/purchasing/using this year?
7. Who are some booktubers, subscribers or other bookish friends that you got to know better this year (through watching, comments, personal contact online or in real life or otherwise)?
8. What Booktube video(s) did you particularly enjoy this year?
9. Did you discover a new all-time favorite book?

message 2: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Are ya starting with last year or updating this year?

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 334 comments I'm going to start with 2019. I may poss go back as 'far' as 2017 depending on how I curate my final questions as 2018 was definitely a defining year for me and the end of 2017 was when I discovered the wonders of booktube which opened up my horizons to genres I'd never considered before.

I'd love to see something similar on a yearly thread that everyone can join in on too but as I've not finished with the questions (which in their current form I ripped off of one of my fav booktubers) AND I wasn't sure where to post it I didn't get very far!

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Cool! Feel free to share your final revisions with the group, if you'd like. It'd be a fun breakdown to see each year. :) RE where to post ... You could post it in any of these folders: general discussion, getting to know you or even book recommendations and favorites.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 334 comments Thanks Steph :)

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Welcome :)

message 7: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 30, 2020 10:18AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 334 comments Part One

1. Favourite overall book of the year
The Empty Room by Lauren B. Davis

2. Underrated book of the year

3. Most disappointing book of the year
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and The Protector (Men of the North, #1) by Elin Peer The Ruler (Men of the North, #2) by Elin Peer The Mentor (Men of the North, #3) by Elin Peer

3. Most surprising book of the year
The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

4. Favourite backlist title of the year
The Empty Room by Lauren B. Davis 2002, The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin 1972

5. Favourite new release book of the year
The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1) by Kennedy Ryan The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2) by Kennedy Ryan

6. Saddest book of the year

7. Funniest book of the year
Going Nowhere by Lena North Let Them Eat Stake (Sass & Bluegrass Book 2) by Jeanie Johnson

8. Favourite Romance (genre) book of the year
The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1) by Kennedy Ryan The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2) by Kennedy Ryan

9. Favourite Sci-fi book of the year
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells

10. Favourite Mystery/Suspense/Thriller book of the year
Verity by Colleen Hoover

11. Favourite Horror book of the year
The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

12. Favourite Fantasy book of the year
Slave Ship Rising by L.L. Farmer The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer

13. Favourite General/Literary Fiction book of the year
There There by Tommy Orange

14. Favourite Historical/Period book of the year of the year
The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal

15. Favourite male character of the year
The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal Nathaniel

16. Favourite female character of the year
The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1) by Kennedy Ryan The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2) by Kennedy Ryan Lennix

17. Favourite non-binary character of the year
Dragon of Glass (Fae Shifter Knights, #1) by Zoe Chant Robin

18. Favourite Villain of the year
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman A.I.D.EN

19. Favourite romantic relationship (non-romance book) of the year
The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal Nathaniel & Elma

20. Favourite platonic relationship of the year
Catching Teller Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina Beth and her dad

21. Favourite Ensemble of the year
The Mountains That Ground Us by Winter Reid

22. World I would want to live in
The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas

23. Most Dysfunctional Relationship of the year
The Protector (Men of the North, #1) by Elin Peer The Ruler (Men of the North, #2) by Elin Peer The Mentor (Men of the North, #3) by Elin Peer

24. Favourite Writer of the year
Kennedy Ryan

25. Favourite Worldbuilding of the year
Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice

Part Two

26. Which book read this year would you recommend to anyone and why?
Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah via audio as Trevor narrates it himself which is highly entertaining. Also, his story is almost fictional in style with themes, emotional aspects and humor that would translate to many different people. With the caveat - I don't believe in recommending blind and would try to match a reader with something that meets their likes/interests.

27. Which book you read this year has taught you something new?
Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice

28. Which book you read this year came just at the right time when you needed it?
Going Nowhere by Lena North

29. Which book you read this year will stay with you for a long time?
The Empty Room by Lauren B. Davis Slave Ship Rising by L.L. Farmer Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice

30. Which book you read this year expanded your reading horizons (new genre, author, theme, style, format)?
Audio. Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah Memoir read by the author
Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot Literary memoir.

34. Did you discover a new all-time favorite book?

Edited 21.01.20