The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - February 2020

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Our winning group read for February is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline

IN THE YEAR 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

message 2: by Robynne (new)

Robynne Lozier | 16 comments I cannot wait to read this book. I have my e-book all ready. I too am addicted to the internet and the computer.

Heather | 17 comments I’ve read this book multiple times, it’s definitely one of my favourite books of all time! So excited to reread this, I really hope you all love this book as much as I do!

Mary | 16 comments I read this book several years ago and really enjoyed it. I remember it being action packed and fast paced. Good pick!

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments I’m in! Been meaning to read this one and this will give me a nice push to do so! 😁

message 6: by Maja (new)

Maja | 1 comments Just picked it up from the library. Science fiction is usually not my go-to genre but I'm excited to start reading this!

message 7: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Excited to read this! I got a copy through Book of the Month a while back and it has just been sitting on my shelf. My brother and sister-in-law both say this is one of their favorite books.

ReneeQueen I just got my copy thru my library app! Excited to read this for the first time..

Elisa Skinrood | 5 comments I’m interested in reading this one. I’m newer to this group so I love that we read book(s) in genres each month that I may not normally read! Love the challenge!

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?

Heather | 17 comments Sonja wrote: "Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?"

Both are great options! Whatever you’re most comfortable with.

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Heather wrote: "Sonja wrote: "Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?"

Both are great options! Whatever yo..."

Thank you so much Heather!!

Papaphilly | 116 comments Sonja wrote: "Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?"

I always recommend the print. But, I am not a fan of audio. It is a great read and lots of fun.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Sonja wrote: "Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?"

I listened to the audio and really enjoyed it.

message 15: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Sonja wrote: "Hey question for those who've read this book before.... It's my first time reading - do you recommend the print or can I listen to the audiobook?"

I travel for work so I usually end up listening to the audio when I'm in the car and reading a print copy while I'm at home. We're in this together! lol

message 16: by Robynne (last edited Jan 29, 2020 08:43PM) (new)

Robynne Lozier | 16 comments I shall try to read the e-book, but I have so many other e-books I have to read in February - for the UNO challenge.

TAMRA L This book has been on my to read shelf for a while. Excited to read it!!

message 18: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I'm getting anxious. I finished the book I had been reading tonight, but I'm using this for the February 2020 challenge, so I can't start until Saturday! What am I going to do tomorrow??

message 19: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I'm just about to start chapter 35! So, I'm wondering how many people here have seen the movie. This is one of my husband's favorite movies, but, of course, he hasn't read the books. We've discussed some events and it seems the movie is wildly different than the book. My brother, who recommended the book to me, told me not to waste my time by watching the movie. What have others thought of the movie?

message 20: by Heather (last edited Feb 03, 2020 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather | 17 comments Lex wrote: "I'm just about to start chapter 35! So, I'm wondering how many people here have seen the movie. This is one of my husband's favorite movies, but, of course, he hasn't read the books. We've discusse..."

Even though I prefer the story of the book, I think the movie is just as great. In order for the movie to work I understand why they reduced the competition so much. I enjoy them both as separate entities. Then again I’m slightly biased as this is my favourite book of all time. They definitely did the movie justice. This has done way better than other movie adaptations.

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Lex wrote: "I'm just about to start chapter 35! So, I'm wondering how many people here have seen the movie. This is one of my husband's favorite movies, but, of course, he hasn't read the books. We've discusse..."

I usually try to read the book before seeing the movie so I'll get back to you on that, but I had to giggle when you said your husband had of course not read the book. Mine's the same way! There are plenty of movies that drive me crazy because they're so different or missing, what I felt were, key elements of the book. But hubs LOVES them! *sigh* I'm cautiously optimistic about Call of the Wild becoming a movie... I loved that book and hope they do it justice - esp with Harrison Ford!

But I digress.... I'm starting the audiobook today n will definitely see the movie after I read the book!

Jessica | 15 comments Lex wrote: "I'm just about to start chapter 35! So, I'm wondering how many people here have seen the movie. This is one of my husband's favorite movies, but, of course, he hasn't read the books. We've discusse..."

I try to read a book before I see the movie, which I did in this case. And immediately fell in love with the book, but I feel like the move fell short of my expectations. I feel like, for me at least, this is usually the case.

message 23: by elie (new)

elie | 30 comments guys im in chapter 5 and im not into it so far. A lot of refrences to things i dont know like the 80s and star wars and stuff like that its kind of boring. Does it get better? :(

message 24: by Sonja (last edited Feb 05, 2020 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments I'm on Chapter 10 so far, doing the audiobook and enjoying the hell out of Will Wheaton's narration! I like the pop culture references, but then I grew up in the late 80s.... I don't understand a lot of the techy terms and video games for the most part, though I did have an Atari consul, am a huge Star Wars fan and my family had a Commodore 64. All references made me giggle manically. I also giggled when the book referenced the 'original Star Wars trilogy' and the prequel series. Because this book was written in 2011, before the Anthology series and Sequel series were released so of course they wouldn't be in the book! *nerdy giggle clapping* Wonder how the author would have enjoyed those, considering he made his opinions of the prequel series clear! LOL
I also have the print copy so I can go back and read in between listening - helps with understanding some terms and spelling/pronunciations, but for the most part I'm totally enthralled!

message 25: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Sonja wrote: "I'm on Chapter 10 so far, doing the audiobook and enjoying the hell out of Will Wheaton's narration! I like the pop culture references, but then I grew up in the late 80s.... I don't understand a l..."

I also really enjoyed the little Easter Egg (see what I did there?) regarding Star Wars!

message 26: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Elietty wrote: "guys im in chapter 5 and im not into it so far. A lot of refrences to things i dont know like the 80s and star wars and stuff like that its kind of boring. Does it get better? :("

I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. The action does pick up quite a bit as the book progresses, but the 80s references are a pretty major part of the book and those don't ever stop. I was born in '97, so I obviously wasn't able to really relate to the 80s nostalgia, but I understood quite a few of the references just from things I've heard over the years. I'd say if you're not into it by the time you're a quarter or a third of the way in, then it might not be the book for you. Someone else might disagree though.

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Lex wrote: "Elietty wrote: "guys im in chapter 5 and im not into it so far. A lot of refrences to things i dont know like the 80s and star wars and stuff like that its kind of boring. Does it get better? :("

..."

No, Lex is spot on there and I'm glad you shared your perspective on this. (I forgot to) I agree, there are a lot of 80s references I'm fuzzy on and I can imagine if you are unfamiliar with them it wouldn't make much sense. I agree, if it hasn't hooked you by about 30% (which is where the action really picks up and the 80s references take a backseat for a while), you may not enjoy it.

Papaphilly | 116 comments Elietty wrote: "guys im in chapter 5 and im not into it so far. A lot of refrences to things i dont know like the 80s and star wars and stuff like that its kind of boring. Does it get better? :("

This is really pop science fiction culture book. If you are not into that stuff, you may not like it. there are 60's, 70's and plenty of 80's references. You may also just like the story and ignore the references. I loved this one very much because it is very well written and I happen to be a bit of a fan boy of the science fiction genre. did anyone else get the (view spoiler)? That was the best for me.

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Lex wrote: "Sonja wrote: "I'm on Chapter 10 so far, doing the audiobook and enjoying the hell out of Will Wheaton's narration! I like the pop culture references, but then I grew up in the late 80s.... I don't ..."

Missed this note, Lex, sorry! HA!!! TOTALLY!!!!

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments FINISHED!!!!

WHEW, that was EpIc!

Papaphilly | 116 comments Sonja wrote: "FINISHED!!!!

WHEW, that was EpIc!"

And? How did you like it?

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Papaphilly wrote: "Sonja wrote: "FINISHED!!!!

WHEW, that was EpIc!"

And? How did you like it?"

Loved it! I didn't get all the pop culture references or the techy terms, but I was able to gloss over those and don't think it took away from the story at all. I think the author did a great job of describing and explaining a reference when it was needed for the story. Loved the climax and ending - I know the final result is kind of expected, but it was still so fun to see how it ended!

Heather | 17 comments Sonja wrote: "Papaphilly wrote: "Sonja wrote: "FINISHED!!!!

WHEW, that was EpIc!"

And? How did you like it?"

Loved it! I didn't get all the pop culture references or the techy terms, but I was able to gloss ..."

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’m almost finished! I agree that the references don’t take away from the story if you don’t understand them.

message 34: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Criddle | 6 comments Just received my copy from the library today!

message 35: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Criddle | 6 comments Possible spoiler

My husband told me that he heard the book is supposed to be a darker version of the story than the movie is (he hasn’t read it yet).

I was still shocked by the character mentioning that he had to worry about people that rape and murder others. That definitely wasn’t in the movie.

Sonja (sonjac) | 11 comments Mandy wrote: "Possible spoiler

My husband told me that he heard the book is supposed to be a darker version of the story than the movie is (he hasn’t read it yet).

I was still shocked by the character mention..."

From what I've read and heard, the movie doesn't follow the book because there were so many copywrite clauses in the book that they couldn't include in the movie and because the author didn't actually want it made into a movie. I can say that nothing like what Wade was worried about actually happened in the book. Think that's just him sharing an example of what the world was like. I didn't find the book dark at all though.

message 37: by Papaphilly (last edited Feb 11, 2020 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Papaphilly | 116 comments The movie is not as in depth as the book, but they never are due to the limits of time. However, (view spoiler)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 172 comments I have never seen the movie and I don't know if I really want to because I am loving this so much. I am about 50 percent through the book now. Planning to finish tonight. I'm afraid the movie would ruin the story for me. I don't see the book as dark at all so far. Even the scene (view spoiler) I thought was done in a way that kept the book moving and didn't dwell on a dark moment. Again though, I haven't seen the movie so I don't have a comparison. I have known all the references so far and am enjoying feeling like I'm playing along. I don't know where this romance is going but I have a not so good feeling, hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe I have read too many books with bad twists.

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 172 comments I finished this and am so happy (view spoiler) I want more books like this but at the same time I know that this will ruin all video game books for me in the future. Really thankful to the group for getting me to read this.

ReneeQueen My son watched the movie and it got me drawn in, then when I found out it was actually a book I was real intrigued. (( You know what they say, books are always better.)) So when I saw this group was going to read this, I had to join in.

I am currently on chapter 29, and it is a totally different read then the movie, but all in good ways. The movie itself was a good watch, but the details and story line you miss is unbelievable. The book is FANTASTIC! Really glad I got to read this one.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments ReneeQueen wrote: "My son watched the movie and it got me drawn in, then when I found out it was actually a book I was real intrigued. (( You know what they say, books are always better.)) So when I saw this group wa..."

I really need to watch the movie. I feel like it has to be so much different than the book. I'm curious hw they did it.

message 42: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments We watched the movie over the weekend and it's wildly different! If you go into it with the expectation that it will be like the movie, you'll be really disappointed, but I had that warning, so my expectations weren't high. I didn't think it was horrible. The acting left a little to be desired, but that's alright!

Morgan Jensen | 1 comments Finally read this. It has been on my tbr for years.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, even though there were a few things I didn't absolutely love. The 80s pop culture and general nerdy feel were fun and engaging.

Probably will read again someday.

Papaphilly | 116 comments Did everyone enjoy the various pop culture references? Did anyone else get the (view spoiler). You might have to be a certain age for that one.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 76 comments I'm working on this one! I'm having to pause this week and read another book for a different challenge, but I got through 50% and I'll pick it back up next week. It's very well written. It's difficult to describe everything I like and don't like about it. I also breeze through some of the 80s and other references, but some make me smirk a little. Especially when, as Wil Wheaton is narrating it, and Wade's talking about getting to vote on Oasis and the VP has been Wheaton for years. Nice one.

Usagi | 1 comments Finished it today, so glad that I finally decided to read it thanks to this group ;)

PattyMacDotComma | 320 comments I surprised myself by absolutely loving this! I'm sure I missed some pop references, but enough were familiar to make it fun. The whole thing was fun, but with enough crazy scary stuff to make me afraid for the characters. A thoroughly thrilling ride!

I reviewed it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

ReneeQueen Just finished! I really enjoyed this book, and for once I enjoyed the difference between movie and book!

PattyMacDotComma | 320 comments ReneeQueen wrote: "Just finished! I really enjoyed this book, and for once I enjoyed the difference between movie and book!"

I haven't seen the movie - yet. I still hope to one day.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ready Player One (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ernest Cline (other topics)