Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Devoted
This topic is about Devoted
Stand Alone Novels 2008-2020 > Devoted (Group Read - April/May 2020)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 14, 2020 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5990 comments Mod
Woody Bookman hasn’t spoken a word in his eleven years of life. Not when his father died in a freak accident. Not when his mother, Megan, tells him she loves him. For Megan, keeping her boy safe and happy is what matters. But Woody believes a monstrous evil was behind his father’s death and now threatens him and his mother. And he’s not alone in his thoughts. An ally unknown to him is listening.

A uniquely gifted dog with a heart as golden as his breed, Kipp is devoted beyond reason to people. When he hears the boy who communicates like he does, without speaking, Kipp knows he needs to find him before it’s too late.

Woody’s fearful suspicions are taking shape. A man driven by a malicious evil has set a depraved plan into motion. And he’s coming after Woody and his mother. The reasons are primal. His powers are growing. And he’s not alone. Only a force greater than evil can stop what’s coming next.

Devoted by Dean Koontz

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I sure hope Netgalley offers ARC's now that he is with Amazon publishing.

message 3: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 51 comments There aren't currently any on there (I checked) but I hope they will.

There's only one review on Goodreads. One Goodreads Member who currently has an ARC. I found that interesting.

Matthew | 172 comments For those of you (us) that like e-books you can pre-order the Kindle editon for $9.99. Kinda awesome we can purchase a brand new book (costing almost $30 in hardcover) for the price of a paperback. However...a free ARC would, of course, be better. :oD

message 6: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Interesting.

Devoted will be released on Tuesday March 31st.

From the Desk of Dean Koontz

Dear Faithful Readers,

The day here in Koontzland began as it always does: Elsa, our golden retriever, gave me a morning cuddle, took me for a walk, and threw a ball for me to chase until I was exhausted. She then repaired to her bed in my office with a copy of the typeset proofs of my forthcoming novel, Devoted—and a red pencil.

I ate breakfast at my desk while reading the Wall Street Journal, with special attention to the financial pages, which I’m superb at pretending to understand. Finished with the newspaper, I did half an hour of finger exercises to ensure that my hands would be limber enough to produce a few stunning pages of a new novel, and then I took a nap.

When I woke from my nap, Elsa had gone down the hall to Gerda’s office, where they were conferring over the corrections each had made in her copy of the typeset proofs of my forthcoming novel, Devoted.

After producing eleven stunning paragraphs of my next novel, I spent a few hours reviewing two sets of red-lined typeset proofs of my forthcoming novel, Devoted, which Gerda and Elsa had placed on my desk in the most gentle and loving way.

So when Devoted is published on March 31st, if you should read this scary but nevertheless hopeful story and find it thrilling, not just I will be smiling ear to ear, but so will Gerda, and so will Elsa, who has the widest smile of us all.

Warmest regards,
Dean

Susan Beamon (susanbeamon) | 64 comments Is there any chance we might get advance readers of this one?

Susan wrote: "Is there any chance we might get advance readers of this one?"

I'm afraid not. I had a contact at Random House. Koontz has switched publishers and we are not currently being offered Advance Review Copies.

message 10: by Kaye (last edited Mar 18, 2020 04:41PM) (new) - added it

Kaye  | 21 comments I checked weekly, and they never showed up on NetGalley, either. Nothing there since the Jane Hawk books. There's something going on between Amazon publishing and NetGalley, because when I post reviews, there is no longer an active link between NetGalley and Amazon -- only to Barnes & Noble and Kobos.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I wonder if the no ARC on Netgalley is in the new contract. It seems strange since Amazon Publishing is on Netgalley.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments I’m looking forward to this book. It’s preordered on Amazon and will be mailed to me!! Glad I did that since the bookstores are closed due to virus😿

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Devoted will be released on Tuesday March 31st.

From the Desk of Dean Koontz

Dear Faithful Readers,

The day here in Koontzland began as it always does: Elsa, our golden retriever, gave me a morn..."

I can't wait.

message 14: by Mary (last edited Mar 25, 2020 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Hey, Mr. Koontz...Throw your weight around, although you look quite thin so you might need your dog, Elsa, to help. Please get Amazon to let us download your book NOW. Many of us are locked in our houses. It would be good to have something we KNOW will be a great book to read!
Love you, You are counted as a friend for so many years.

Well, I'm assuming this is still being released on Tuesday even with all current world-wide situation. With bookstores and libraries closed, Amazon becomes more than ever the source for Dean Koontz.

I'm sure all of you have heard social media going crazy about Dean's book The Eyes of Darkness being prophetic mentioning a 2020 respiratory virus originating in China. Perhaps he was prophetic in switching publishers as well. The truth is stranger than fiction.

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Well, I'm assuming this is still being released on Tuesday even with all current world-wide situation. With bookstores and libraries closed, Amazon becomes more than ever the source for Dean Koontz..."

I had to reread The Eyes of Darkness. Interesting. Anyway, can't wait for the new one.

Matthew | 172 comments I would LOVE for Devoted to be released a bit earlier. Up here in NYS the STAY IN YOUR HOME order is bound to go on for quite awhile so new Koontz would be a delight. I preordered the book last night in anticipation of being stuck (except for work) for the long haul.

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments I have a funny feeling that this one won't be released in stores anyway. So looks like I'm missing this one.

Brendan | 2 comments Yeah, I always rush out to the bookstore on release day for any new Dean Koontz novel. All bookstores in my city are on lockdown, as in most places, so sadly I'll have to wait till Amazon ships it out to me which might take a week after release day. Sad!

message 20: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry (jazzlsnr) | 34 comments Just searching Amazon; Dean’s next novel “elsewhere” due out 10/20/2020, Just in time for my b-day.

message 21: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 1 comments I won a free copy on good reads so I can participate this time :)

message 22: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye  | 21 comments Woohoo! Good news for those of us who aren't boycotting Amazon and who like e-readers. Devoted is available for free with Kindle Unlimited! Just downloaded it!

Susan Beamon (susanbeamon) | 64 comments I just got my hands on a printed ARC of the book. I am doubly happy.

Matthew | 172 comments Started reading my Kindle version today and it looks like it's gonna be a fun one. Only 30 pages or so in but I think I'm going to like it. Def a science goes awry tale a la Watchers or Shadow Fires.

Devoted is now officially released. Probably the quickest way to access the book is via Kindle or Audible. Since my library is closed, I ordered a hardcover copy from Amazon, but apparently even new releases are being delayed. I might not see my book arrive until near the end of April. Dean says many bookstores such as Barnes & Noble won't carry this publisher imprint, but some independent booksellers (if open) may.

Devoted is featured as a Group Read during the months of April and May 2020.

message 26: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Do you blame them? Amazon has been trying to destroy their competition. B&N and others have witnessed what happened to many of the video game rental stores, and are trying to avoid it themselves.

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments Matthew wrote: "Started reading my Kindle version today and it looks like it's gonna be a fun one. Only 30 pages or so in but I think I'm going to like it. Def a science goes awry tale a la Watchers or Shadow Fires."

I just started it, too. I like it, classic Koontz!

Oh no, I don't blame B&N at all. I used to work at Borders unt they went out of business in 2011. In those last years we knew either B&N or Borders was going to be forced out. Months before Borders filed for bankruptcy B&N was listed for sale and Borders made an offer. In the end B&N bought all intellectual property from Borders. Borders made some mistakes of not adapting well. For one, in the beginning of online commerce, they actually had Amazon run their website. For another, they didn't jump on the ereader wagon soon enough and by the time they did couldn't compete with Kindle or Nook.

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary M | 6 comments I downloaded the ebook of Devoted to my kindle and read the first 21 pages before real life called me away. I’m well and truly pulled in, as always Koontz’s characters are so well crafted. I plan on reading some every night and making it last. I look forward to discussing the story here.

Thanks Mary. I'm pretty old school myself have never used audible or kindle, so we'll see if I can wait for my hardcover book to arrive.

message 31: by Mary (new)

Mary M | 6 comments Dustin, I’m not an ebook kind of person, I have spent all my life reading real books and love the feel of a book in my hands, turning paper pages. Some might claim ebooks are more portable, I have to laugh. They are awkward. When I started to read this ebook (my first time using the kindle I received as a Christmas present a few years ago, to read a book) I was lying on the couch, it slipped from my hands onto my nose and it hurt 😊. But the real book copy of Devoted I preordered is being held with my mail at the post office as I’ve gone to stay with family until there is more of a handle on this coronavirus 2019. When I read the mailing list notice reminding me it had been released I figured I’d give the ebook a try.

I'm getting near the point of trying Audible myself. Three years ago, I finally got my first Smartphone. Four years I upgraded from my CD Walkman to Mp3 Player for Audiobooks and Music. I'm a little behind the times, I resist changing technology as long as I can. I've never done Netflix, Hulu or any of those things. I watched everything on DVD or even better VHS when available ha ha

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments I love Audible. In normal times, my profession (media) requires me to be on the road a lot. I listen to books and it makes the drives a breeze. There is no substitute for a real book, but Audible definitely has its place for me.

message 34: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye  | 21 comments I'm halfway through Devoted, and want to read it straight through, but other commitments are important, too. It's a fresh take on familiar Koontz terrain -- and of course, I love Kipp the golden retriever!

Angelique | 34 comments 90 pages in and loving it. Kipp is awesome, reminding me a lot of Einstein!

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments I had it pre ordered from Amazon and got half way through it the day it was delivered!!! It’s really good. I put it down cause I don’t want to finish it too fast!!!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 4 comments Looking forward to it! Not sure when I will order it.

Blessings
🦋🇺🇸💀🐼

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments I finished it. It was really good, really classic Koontz. I loved Kipp, but also the family.

Angelique | 34 comments I also finished and loved it.

I'm hearing lots of comparisons to Watchers.

Devoted has been added to the Group Poll,
Which is your favorite Stand-Alone Novel published 2011-2020?
Devoted at the moment has no votes, so if you'd like to vote for Devoted in this poll please do :-)
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm hearing lots of comparisons to Watchers."

Definite similarities.

Angelique wrote: "I also finished and loved it."

message 43: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye  | 21 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm hearing lots of comparisons to Watchers."

Yes, to me it felt like a sequel of sorts to Watchers -- not with the same characters (human or canine), but a continuation of that story down the line in another time and place with other people. It was wonderful -- terrifying and inspiring, as so much of Konntz's work!

Looking forward to it, thanks for the recommendations :-)

I was just looking at some of the Goodreads Reviews/Ratings and Devoted is being received extremely well. Currently with a 4.4 average rating, so all signs are pointing to greatness. I hope this holds and I hope I agree with the vast majority of readers when my time comes to experience Devoted.

My copy is arriving this week :-)

message 47: by K.L. (new) - added it

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments Finally got started on this one yesterday and I must say I am enjoying the heck out of it so far. Always love a twisted barely stable villain.

My copy arrived today. Will start reading soon.

Matthew | 172 comments I finished up a book I was in the middle of this morning so now I can devote (hehheh) some time to this book. Looking forward to it!

message 50: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry (jazzlsnr) | 34 comments Finished Devoted; a nice change from Dean’s efforts pre-Jane Hawk. Though as much as I loved Kipp, I couldn’t help but think of Watchers while in the midst of reading this tale. Maybe too much so, but it’s not such a bad thing (Though why did I pay for a re-hashed book?).

« previous 1