Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Learning Some History Stuff > Did Aud the Deep-Minded gain women the right to speak at the Thing in Iceland?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwendoline (new)

Gwendoline Terry (gskterry) | 2 comments I read somewhere that Aud the Deep-Minded, after settling in Iceland after the death of her husband and son, was able to speak on her own behalf at the Thing due to not having any living male relatives. Women were usually not allowed to speak at the Thing, nor could they cast a vote or be a witness, but this article stated that Aud managed to convince the men in charge to change that law and allow widows with no surviving male kin to speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the source to this statement nor the place I read it. I was hoping someone might be able to shine a light on it (otherwise I'll assume I'm just going crazy, haha.).

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara (taragilbert76) | 16 comments I actually saw this in a viking documentary I believe by Neil Price. (he was the PhD speaker in it anyway). I think I found it on youtube or amazon prime. I remember it because I am researching Audr The Deep Minded who lived much earlier and was mother to Harald Wartooth...... In Denmark. I think Iceland Aud lived in 11th or 12th century at the earliest and My Audr lived in the 7th century. It is an excellent documentary, well worth your time. He has also written several books of which I have read two and is a professor at Uppsala University.

message 3: by Gwendoline (new)

Gwendoline Terry (gskterry) | 2 comments Tara wrote: "I actually saw this in a viking documentary I believe by Neil Price. (he was the PhD speaker in it anyway). I think I found it on youtube or amazon prime. I remember it because I am researching Aud..."

Do you remember the name of the documentary? I'd love to watch it. Thank you for your help!

Honestly, I'm wondering whether I have the right Aud; the Laxdale Saga (https://sagadb.org/laxdaela_saga.en) states that Aud travelled to Iceland after the death of her father, husband and son because her brothers, Helgi and Bjorn, lived there. In that case, she had living male kin to speak on her behalf at the Thing, so it makes no sense.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara (taragilbert76) | 16 comments I watched it randomly one night and that bit caught my attention. It was about women in the viking era, or at least that section was. I have come across other stuff on her in my research. if you want when I locate it I can pass it along to you. I have come across the other Iceland Aud several times in my research.

taragilbert76@gmail.com

I am also planning to go to Denmark, Sweden and Germany next spring to visit several universities to see if I can scrounge up something else for my Audr as well.

I also have an extensive bibliography I can copy for you as well, that has helped me quite a bit. You might want to try the grandmother edda or saga, because she is definately mentioned there and maybe she even wrote it?

Since I am focused on the pre-viking era, the migration era, I still have to read a lot about the vikings and I come across crazy stuff all the time. Happy to help.

Tara

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara (taragilbert76) | 16 comments Gwendoline wrote: "Tara wrote: "I actually saw this in a viking documentary I believe by Neil Price. (he was the PhD speaker in it anyway). I think I found it on youtube or amazon prime. I remember it because I am re..."

Yeah that article is a different aud. You want aud the deepminded. I think in Danish it is djúpúðga. Your Aud was also the "deep-wealthy" and she was related to Ketil Flatnose I think.

check out the bibliography at the end of this article, it will point you in the right direction

https://shrineodreams.wordpress.com/2...