Dog Lovers Book Club discussion

FUN CHATTY TOPICS > IF YOU WERE TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT YOUR DOG...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Emsen-Hough | 78 comments Mod
"If someone were to write a book about YOUR dog, what do you think would / should be in the book?"

message 2: by Theis (new)

Theis Deschain (theisdeschain) | 2 comments I actually already wrote a book based on my dog 😅 its a fantasy

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Theis wrote: "I actually already wrote a book based on my dog 😅 its a fantasy"

Would you like to share the link with us?

message 4: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Eastman | 2 comments Me too. It’s called “Long Nose Legacy: A Dog’s Story of Royalty and Loyalty.” It was supposed to be carried over for consideration for this group to read. Anyway, I would love to read yours. 😊

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments I am Jack is the children's book I wrote about my dog. It is a true story
I am Jack

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Seddon (andrewmseddon) | 2 comments I also wrote about my dogs. "Bonds of Affection: Short Stories and Memories of German Shepherds" features vignettes about my German Shepherds over the years, as well as fictional short stories. All proceeds go to German Shepherd rescues. Bonds of Affection

When my black German Shepherd, Finzi, died in 2011 I wanted a way to memorialize her, so under her kennel-name Victrix, she became the star of a science fiction short story. More stories followed. Then, when my next shepherd, Rex, came into my life, I added him to the stories. I put them all into a collection: "The DeathCats of Asa'ican and Other Tales of A Space-Vet" . The Deathcats of Asa'ican and Other Tales of a Space Vet My wife is a veterinarian, so I thought veterinary stories set in the far future would be fun.

Being science fiction, though, I took some literary license. Although both Victrix and Rex have their real-life characteristics, changes were made, Victrix (Finzi) , as a result of experiments, has become a genetically enhanced, telepathic shepherd, the companion of Doc Hughes, the founder of WOLF (Wellness for Other Life Forms), while Rex is a rescued alien shape-shifter who takes the form of a German Shepherd. Sounds crazy, I admit, but the stories are intended to be serious at heart.

Both books are very dog (and animal) friendly.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Wow! We have a lot of authors in the group :) Wonderful. We should include your books in our nomination lists!

message 8: by Anna (last edited Mar 06, 2020 05:43AM) (new)

Anna | 8 comments Great, thanks

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah  Shepherd (the_gunster25) | 3 comments I am writing 5 books 2 are about my dogs!

message 10: by Anna (last edited Nov 16, 2021 01:50PM) (new)

Anna | 8 comments Dog lovers, please check out my new website
iamjackbook.ca

message 11: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Bennet (louisa_bennet) | 2 comments Hi there, I have two gorgeous golden retrievers called Pickles and Lilly and they have inspired my dog detective mystery novels which I write as Louisa Bennet. The series is about Monty, a dog who solves crimes that humans can't and Rose Sidebottom, a trainee detective who is having a hard times. My new book is published at the end of this month, called THE BONE RANGER, published by Clan Destine Press. I'll let you know as soon as it's listed on GoodReads https://lalarkin.com/cozy-mysteries/

message 12: by Neil (new)

Neil Plakcy (neilplakcy) | 1 comments Like others, I've written about my dogs. First, I edited a book about the relationships between men and their dogs, called Paws and Reflect, which ended up being excerpted in the New York Times (we had some big-name contributors.) Then I was so besotted with my golden retriever, Samwise, that I wrote a mystery novel in which the dog is the co-detective. The first in that series is In Dog We Trust, which was just reviewed at the Midwest Book Review. http://www.midwestbookreview.com/mbw/... Since then there have been 12 more, with a new one this December 1.
See how much trouble you can get into when you write about your dog!

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Potter | 2 comments My name is KoKo (that's oKoK backwards - just like a dog is GOD backwards). I am an author, a poet and, in my human Mum's words, an egocentric, super adventurist Maltese Shih ......Tzu!

A few years ago Mum thought that as I was now a celebrity dog in our neighbourhood in Western Australia, I should paw a book about my life. I was already leaving plenty of wee-mails and wee-plays on trees and branches so I might as well spread my story further.
Mum agreed to help me translate my barks and growls into human words as long as I agreed to come when she called me at the park (rather than ignore her until I was ready to go home). I promised her I would be more obedient but I knew lies could roll down my tongue like a ball down a slide. I seriously doubted I could keep my promise.
Mum also took on the role of photographer to capture my many moods and antics.
“Koko’s Tales – A Dog’s Life in Subiaco” eventually reached the printer and is now available to my dog loving friends and my doggy mates. Mum doesn’t even get to have her name on the cover. Woofs to all, KoKo Potter.

message 14: by Amulya (new)

Amulya Veldanda Vadali | 1 comments Dawn wrote: ""If someone were to write a book about YOUR dog, what do you think would / should be in the book?""

Hi! I just published a children's book about my golden retriever, Cosmo! It's an exciting, rhyming picture book for ages 6-9! In the book, Cosmo faces his fears and travels into the dark forest to help his sister and save the day!
Cosmo Faces the Forest of Fear

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen Potter | 2 comments Congratulations. My dog KoKo wrote a book too. About his adventures and misadventures in our leafy suburb. He also writes doggerel under the name KoKo Shakespaw.
As a very social dog he snoops around looking for news scoops on the pavement. He also tells of his life philosophies and his quest to get rid of Black Bog who haunts his human mum.