Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
This topic is about Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Down Among the Sticks and Bones [Jan 13, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire
Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) by Seanan McGuire
January 13, 2020.
Requested by Charlie.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Just started chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 3: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments Elizabeth, agreed!

Ya know, in some ways, I wonder if I would have liked Every Heart a Doorway more if I had read this one first and then that one.

Love:
- Poetic Imagery/Emotions
- The surreal fairy tale atmosphere is fantastic!
- This one felt more cohesive & less scatterbrained than the first book.
- Totally want more backstory on the Master & Doctor.

Other thoughts but not necessarily a spoiler: (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Agreed.I think this one would have been better to read first. Yes, back story on the two of them would be interesting!

message 5: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments I also liked that the social politics were more told from within the story vs bashed into your face like book #1.

I definitely prefer my stories to stay within a story style context. Otherwise, I end up having too many unrelated, current events/history pop up instead.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Chapters 1&2 (view spoiler)

Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Soo wrote: "Elizabeth, agreed!

Ya know, in some ways, I wonder if I would have liked Every Heart a Doorway more if I had read this one first and then that one.

Love:
- Poetic Imagery/Emotions
- The surreal ..."

I loved the atmosphere too, it was creepy and whimsical at the same time.

Elizabeth wrote: "Just started chapter 12 [spoilers removed]"

Agreed. I would have (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments So I'm finished and I really liked it. I feel like the middle was a little rushed. We get a big intro on how the girls came to be, it skips over their life there and moves onto how they were forced to leave. I would have liked a few more chapters about their daily lives, just to flesh it out and make it a little longer.

message 9: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments Yeah! These are definitely doable if you are in the "willing to go with it" mode. Maybe it's harder for Seanan to write shorter formats. I can imagine the struggle easily enough! You have this wild, wacky world and you have to stuff it into as few words as possible.

For the ending:
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Virginie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Finished Part 1! (view spoiler)

message 11: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments Virginie wrote: "Finished Part 1!

(view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Soo wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Finished Part 1!

[spoilers]"

Eh, true. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Soo (last edited Jan 16, 2020 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments Yup. Ya gotta just "go with it".

But at least it's pretty and brutal! =D

Virginie | 5795 comments Finished Part 2. Love the surreal, creepy atmosphere. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments Me too! More about M & D. I think that may happen. Going by what Iain said about the series.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'd love that backstory! Though going back to that world gives me chills.

Virginie | 5795 comments Finished! I agree with Charlie, I would have liked to see more of the girls' daily lives in the Moors.

Really liked it overall. Seanan McGuire sure knows how to build a creepy atmosphere.

About the ending: (view spoiler)

message 18: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4570 comments I felt the same way. There are lots of strong events & moments in the stories and I feel like there should have been a better way to show us why they happened. You either fall into "go with it" or "accept the oddly placed infodump".

Virginie | 5795 comments Mmmh, yeah, I see what you mean with the "roll with it" attitude. To be honest, I'm a lot more critical of a book when doing a BR than when reading on my own.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Virginie I'm the same. I think it's because I've you start writing it your thoughts you become more self aware and it's a bit more obvious what you liked and didn't.