Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) Scythe discussion

A bit confused..

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Akshita I am still not finished with the book but i am confused over the fact that why can't people be revived when a scythe kills them. How is death by a scythe different and permanent ?

message 2: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ Akshita wrote: "I am still not finished with the book but i am confused over the fact that why can't people be revived when a scythe kills them. How is death by a scythe different and permanent ?"

It's entirely cultural. It's not that it's physically impossible to revive a scythe-culled person, it's that doing so would be no only illegal, but socially taboo. You'd be "wasting space" on the planet (and also dooming your entire family to be culled as well).

message 3: by Arya (new) - added it

Arya I think that also there's some sort of system that identifies someone as being gleaned instead of just dying.

Akshita Arya wrote: "I think that also there's some sort of system that identifies someone as being gleaned instead of just dying."

Yeah, I realized that maybe once you are gleaned by a scythe, Thunderhead's medical facilities can't help you...

Hannah ♥️ When someone dies, they are revived immediately. Being gleaned by a Scythe is no different, but they cannot be legally revived. It's the Scythe's job to glean, and beside, the Thunderhead can't intervene with Scythedom affairs.

Samuel Bloom Well, if the world conquered death, no one would ever die and the world would become overpopulated. So it's the job of a Scythe to make sure the world doesn't reach that point.

TimothyShar i love this book so much

Darby Death is only irreversible when the act of killing is performed by someone who is authorized to kill, which is the scythes. It is a law that the society has put in place in order to better control the otherwise immortally-privelleged population, so that anyone may live forever unless they are selected for gleaning. Gleaning (the act of killing resulting in permanent death that can only be performed by a Scythe) was originally intended to be for population control only, and other deaths were never supposed to be permanent because each human has a right to immortality unless selected. It will make more sense as you finish the trilogy which I highly suggest reading if you enjoy it. (: