75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2020 GR Challenge) > Rusty's 2020 Challenge Goals

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (last edited Jan 04, 2021 04:44AM) (new)

Rusty | 37 comments One DayPlanning another challenge with a slight modification. For each month I will try to read one award winner, one book from my long planned read lists, one lengthy book and one ebook or one from my recent reads list. Have found if I read ebooks I get offers from Amazon for even more ebooks and they are often what I do not wish to read.

JANUARY

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders Fire Watch by Connie Willis The Woman Who Smashed Codes A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America's Enemies by Jason Fagone Sold Down the River (Benjamin January, #4) by Barbara Hambly Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2) by Anna Banks Of Neptune (The Syrena Legacy, #3) by Anna Banks

1. Award winner (Pulitzer 2019): Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, 1/17/2020, and Fire Watch by Connie Willis, 1/19/2020,

2. Long planned read: The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America's Enemies by Jason Fagone, 1/13/2020

3. Long book: Sold Down the River by Barbara Hambly, 432 pages, 1/22/2020

4. Recent obtained books: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, 1/28/2020; Of Triton by Anna Banks, 1/29/2020; and Of Neptune by Anna Banks, 1/29/2020

FEBRUARY

Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper Named of the Dragon by Susanna Kearsley The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende Die Upon a Kiss (Benjamin January, #5) by Barbara Hambly The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott Stambach

1. Award winner: Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper (Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (1992)) 2/23/2020

2. Long planned read: Named of the Dragon by Susanna Kearsley, 2/4/2020

3: Long books: The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, 2/6/2020, 448 pages; Die Upon a Kiss by Barbara Hambly, 2/27/2020, 480 pages

4. Recent acquired book: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott Stambach, 2/3/2020.

MARCH

1. Award winner: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, (Orange Prize for Fiction (2010), PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction Nominee (2010), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2011), 4/29/2020

2. Long planned read: Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis, 3/3/2020

3. Long book: Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough, 3/20/2020, 567 pages

4. Recently acquired book: The Movement of Stars by Amy Brill, 3/8/2020

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1) by Margaret Weis Antony and Cleopatra (Masters of Rome, #7) by Colleen McCullough The Movement of Stars by Amy Brill

APRIL

1. Award winning book: Nova Swing by M. John Harrison, in process, 2007 Arthur C. Clarke award, 5/19/2020

2. Long planned read: Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon, 4/3/2020

3. Long book and award winner: The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, 4/12/2020 (Specsavers National Book Award Nominee for UK Author of the Year (2014), Walter Scott Prize Nominee (2015), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Historical Fiction (2014), 572 pages.

4. Recently acquired book: Prince Edward's Warrant by Melvin R. Starr, 4/2/2020

Nova Swing (Kefahuchi Tract, #2) by M. John Harrison The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon Prince Edward's Warrant (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton #11) by Melvin R. Starr

MAY

1. Award winning book: Three Junes by Julia Glass (National Book Award for Fiction (2002)), 6/2/2020s

2. Long planned read: Mystify the Magician by Katherine Applegate, 5/4/2020, and The Guns of Avalon by Roger Lelazny, 5/6/2020

3. Long book: Mademoiselle Chanel C. W. Gortner, 5/8/2020, 406 pages; and House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas, 816 pages, 5/29/2020

4. Recently acquired book: Mary Russell's War And Other Stories of Suspense, 5/11/2020

Three Junes by Julia Glass Mystify the Magician (Everworld, #11) by Katherine Applegate The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Mary Russell's War And Other Stories of Suspense (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes) by Laurie R. King

JUNE

1. Award winning book: Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry, 7/27/3030

2. Long planned read: Side Effects by Michael Palmer, 6/ 9/2020

3. Long book: Citadel by Kate Mosse, 7/9/2020, 626 pages

4. Recently acquired book: Deadly Election: A Flavia Albia Mystery by Lindsey Davis, 6/15/2020

Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry Side Effects by Michael Palmer Citadel (Languedoc, #3) by Kate Mosse Deadly Election A Flavia Albia Mystery by Lindsey Davis

JULY

1. Award winning book),: Scythe by Neal Shusterman, 7/18/2020 (Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire Nominee for Roman jeunesse étranger (2018) (2019), Michael L. Printz Award Nominee (2017), South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Young Adult (2019), Rhode Island Teen Book Award (2018), Lincoln Award Nominee (2019) Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2017), Missouri Gateway Readers Award Nominee (2018), Premio El Templo de las Mil Puertas Nominee for Mejor novela extranjera perteneciente a saga (2017

2. Long planned read: Tinisima by Elena Poniatowska, 7/15/2020 and The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, 7/24/2020

3. Long book: Hild by Nicola Griffith, 7/12/2020, 446 pages

4. Recently acquired book: Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak by Andy Hall, 7/7/2020, 7/12/2020

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Tinisima by Elena Poniatowska The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender Hild by Nicola Griffith Denali's Howl The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak by Andy Hall ,

AUGUST

1. Award winner: The Plague by Albert Camus, 8/10/2020, Prix des Critiques (1947)

2. Long planned read: The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal, 8/1/2020

3. Long book: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, 8/8/2020, 404 pages

4. Recently acquired book: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, 8/17/3030

The Plague by Albert Camus The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7) by Susan Elia MacNeal Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

September

1. Award winner: The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead, 9/3/2020, Pulitzer Prize, 2020

2. Long planned read: Hellbent by Cherie Priest, 9/2/2020

3. Long book: The Skull Beneath The Skin by P.D. James, 9/16/2020, 414 pages

4. Recently acquired book: The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler, 9/13/2020

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead Hellbent (Cheshire Red Reports, #2) by Cherie Priest The Skull Beneath The Skin (Cordelia Gray, #2) by P.D. James ] The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler

October

1. Award winner: All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy,11/3/2020

2. Long planned read: Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, 10/10/2020

3. Long book: The Kingmaking(Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1) by Helen Hollick, 10/10/2020, 422 pages

4. Recently acquired book: Louise's Lies by Sarah R. Shaber, 10/19/2020

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1) by Helen Hollick Louise's Lies (Louise Pearlie, #6) by Sarah R. Shaber

NOVEMBER

1. Award winner: Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (National Book Award for Fiction (1979)), 11/8/2020

2. Long planned read: The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman, 11/15/2020

3. Long book: One Day by David Nicholls, 338 pages, 11/23/2020

4. Recently acquired book: It's Just a Dog by Russ Ryan, 11/29/2020

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman One Day by David Nicholls It's Just a Dog by Russ Ryan

DECEMBER

1. Award winner: The Whip by Karen Kondazian, `USA Best Book Award for Historical Fiction (2012), International Book Awards for Best Western (2013), Readers' Favorite Book Award for Western Fiction (2014), Global Ebook Awards for Historical Fiction & Best Western Fiction (2013), National Indie Excellence Awards for Best Western (2013) 12/2/2020

2. Long planned read: Dragon Slippers Jessica Day George

3. Long book: In the Presence of the Enemy by Elizabeth George, 535 pages, 1/4/2020

4. Recent obtained books: The Truths We Hold: An American Journey by by Kamala Harris, 12/17/2020

The Whip by Karen Kondazian Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1) by Jessica Day George In the Presence of the Enemy (Inspector Lynley, #8) by Elizabeth George The Truths We Hold An American Journey by Kamala Harris

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7806 comments Mod
Good idea!

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie | 262 comments Rusty wrote: "Planning another challenge with a slight modification. For each month I will try to read one award winner, one book from my slong planned read lists, one long book and one ebook.

January

1. Award..."

Have you finished Lincoln in the Bardo yet? What did you think? I started it, but set it aside and haven't finished it yet.

message 4: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2816 comments Connie wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Planning another challenge with a slight modification. For each month I will try to read one award winner, one book from my slong planned read lists, one long book and one ebook.

Jan..."

Connie, I loved Lincoln in the Bardo. I listened to it on audio [it has a HUGE cast - I had to look them up and put the list in my book] and it was just amazing that way.

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2816 comments Rusty wrote: "Planning another challenge with a slight modification. For each month I will try to read one award winner, one book from my slong planned read lists, one long book and one ebook.

January

1. Award..."

A friend and I did award winners last year and for the most part, were sorely disappointed. I don't know if we were picking the wrong award winners [LOL] or what, but there were many that were just meh to us. I sure hope that your pursuit of this is more successful [one of the best for me was The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder. THAT was an amazing book [and I listened to that one as well and the narration by Sam Waterston was just divine]!

message 6: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 37 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Planning another challenge with a slight modification. For each month I will try to read one award winner, one book from my slong planned read lists, one long book and one ebook.

Jan..."

Hi: I did award winners last year and had fun with that goal which is why I did it again this year. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders was not my best choice but I am glad I read it.

message 7: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1866 comments Mod
I love your monthly goal breakdowns!!!!