2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Shawny's Book Challenge 2020 20 Books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Finished the first of the Witcher novels my guitar finished book of the year. Almost half way through The Last Wish... so far strong.

message 2: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3820 comments Best of luck with your reading challenge, Shawny! Did you see the Netflix series The Witcher?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments May you have an amazing reading year in 2020, Shawny!

message 4: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Ilona wrote: "Best of luck with your reading challenge, Shawny! Did you see the Netflix series The Witcher?"

I did! I loved it...hence my current obsession with the world and wanting more content!

message 5: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Lisa wrote: "May you have an amazing reading year in 2020, Shawny!"

Thank you for the best wishes!

message 6: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Yesterday, finished The Last Wish. It was an entertaining and good read that I very much enjoyed. But, now with my new endeavor I've decided to take a short break from The Witcher series and started reading The Gown by Jennifer Robinson.

Its been sitting on my bookshelf for quite a while. I just read the very first chapter and so far its looking to be something that I will enjoy quite a bit!

message 7: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Just finished my third book of the year! I am on a roll with having just finished The Gown by Jennifer Robson. I might pick up another one of her books in the future, she has a good grasp on story telling.

Now I am hope to start a bit of a challenge and funny read, my friends and I chose a rather strange romance novel and we are going to read it together and have some fun poking fun!

message 8: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Just started on the sequel to Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, Dreams of Joy. Still on a small break from The Witcher series to keep things fresh.

I already have a feeling Dreams of Joy is going to be better than its predecessor.

message 9: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Currently and heavily involved in reading: Molokai by Alan Brennert. So far its an amazing well researched but heart wrenching tale! I am very much enjoying this one so far!

message 10: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments January was actually quite a good head start in my reading goals this year. I completed three books: Blood Elves, The Last Wish and The Gown.

Now into February, I have finished two titles one started at the end of January into the following month: Dreams of Joy and Moloka'i.

Moloka'i so far being my favorite book I've read in 2020. Such a heartfelt and amazingly well researched and written story! I am looking forward to picking up the author Alan Brennert's two other novels Honolulu and Daughter of Moloka'i!

I am now starting on my third book of the month, The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. So far, so good...after just finishing Moloka'i its now wowing me per say...but I am only about 70 pages in.

I don't foresee my current read taking that long to finish...and I will then be delving back into the Witcher series!

message 11: by BookWyrm (last edited Feb 10, 2020 10:28PM) (new)

BookWyrm | 19 comments I've heard of the Witcher TV series ... I didn't know it was also a book series. Will have to look into that; from what I heard about the TV show, I think I'd really love the books!

message 12: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments BookWyrm wrote: "I've heard of the Witcher TV series ... I didn't know it was also a book series. Will have to look into that; from what I heard about the TV show, I think I'd really love the books!"

Yes, the games and the TV show were based on the fantasy series by Andrzej Sapkowski. He is a polish author and the books have a very different feel to them having been written in an eastern European point of view.

So far what I've read I very much like and I highly suggest. Start with the Last Wish a compilation of short stories that introduce you to the world of The Witcher and this is also the novel the first season of the show is based!

message 13: by Melenda Barrett (new)

Melenda Barrett | 1 comments This is my first time replying to a post on this site. I want to thank you for the info on what book started "Witcher". I'm going to see if I can get it from Goodreads for my Kindle.
Thanks, again.

message 14: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Melenda Barrett wrote: "This is my first time replying to a post on this site. I want to thank you for the info on what book started "Witcher". I'm going to see if I can get it from Goodreads for my Kindle.
Thanks, again."

No problem! I am pretty sure there is a Kindle version available. The Last Wish is super properly at the moment due to the Netflix series! Happy reading!

message 15: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Just finished my sixth book of the year! *cheers* I am pretty proud of myself so far in my challenge, currently four books ahead of my goal of 20!

I just finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Its an amazing raw story on the Salem Witch Trials and the hardships endured by those accused. Kathleen even being a descendant of Martha Carrier.

Now, I told myself I will be moving onto the second book of the Witcher series The Time of Contempt. I hear many people very much like this novel in the series...I just wish I had it with me to start.

message 16: by Shawny (new)

Shawny O'Leary  | 17 comments Just finished the second book in the Witcher Series: The Time of Contempt.

I was really let down by this installment. It was increasingly boring till the very end of the book. I am really hoping the next installment picks up and is a lot more exciting than the previous.

I am again taking a small break from The Witcher and starting on a book that has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while.

Bioshock Rapture by John Shirley. From reviews this book is very well written and interesting. I am looking forward to having some more back story and jumping into one of my favorite ever video game franchises once more through writing.

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments I am all about magic this year. I hope that your reading goal is your little touch of magic.
description