Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] Sharp Object ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joni (new)

Joni | 609 comments Sharp Objects

I have always wondered what goes on in an author's mind when they sit down to write a book. Especially those authors who write books that I would consider dark, twisted or ....... (you can fill in the blank. Gillian Flynn is on of those authors.

I listened to Sharp Objects and the images in my mind are very vivid. In this book, Camille Preaker, a reporter with a past, is sent back to her home town to cover the gruesome murder of two young girls. During her time at "home" she relives a lot of her past. It's a very difficult time for her and she even puts herself in "harms" way to help solve one of the many mysteries.

I thought this book was very dark and twisted. The author is very good at telling a story, but it was very difficult to listen to, but I wanted to know how it ended. I am curious to check out the TV series by the same title.....just out of curiosity.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5007 comments I know what you mean. I feel that I've become inured to many dark topics, especially in real life, but sometimes dark and twisty fiction just leaves me cold. I couldn't get into Gone Girl at all. Verity was exciting at first, but now I feel like I can see where it's going and it's hard to care. I'm curious to see if I'm right, but I'm testing myself to see how long I can put off my curiosity.

I really like the actress in Sharp Objects, so I might watch it for that reason.

Heather Reads Books (gothicgunslinger) | 320 comments I enjoyed the HBO show for Sharp Objects. It does have a kind of dark tone that I thought was keeping in the spirit of the book. But I loved all of Gillian Flynn's novels, so your mileage may vary. Amy Adams is excellent in it, though.