Green Group discussion

Climate Change > Almond trees are changing the climate - not in a good way

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2101 comments Almond Milk is Taking a Toll on the Environment

When 8 billion people want something, fulfilling that want is going to change the climate, and most likely, not in a good way.

Almond trees are a big California crop, and serving 8 billion, has put a sizable dent in the dairy industry. People like it environmentally because it has a small carbon footprint. And it has caused financial harm to the nasty diary industry. The carbon footprint is probably its smallest feature.

A large amount of pesticides and water is used to grow the almonds. That deplenishes ground water and pollutes the land with the run off. Ironically in the list of agricultural products that use bees for pollination, almond trees are at the top of the list. 100 percent of the almond crop is pollinated by bees. Not good for the bees. I wouldn't be surprised if bees were actually treated as disposable workers, after all, bees can always make more bees.

Its been a victory for the advertising world, the almond farmers and the almond industry, but after that, it is looking like almonds and palm oil have a lot in common.

https://sustainability.ucsf.edu/1.713

Just because it's green doesn't mean it's always good.

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1607 comments Mod
Thank you, Robert, for pointing that out to me.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2101 comments Surprised me too.

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 6400 comments Mod
Alternative plant drinks replacing milk include cashews, hazelnuts and oats, but the nuts make up about 3% of the drink.

Almond shell can be ground up to replace plastic microbeads in scrubs.

I read an article a year or so ago about how California's farmers had gone large on planting almond trees, but they are a thirsty crop (the leaves are not good at retaining water) and now the trees are maturing and the water is running low. I probably linked that article here.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2101 comments Probably all the "new" crops that are being mega farmed are causing environmental problems because it is the mega farming technique that is the problem, not the type of plant or tree being grown.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2101 comments What are sustainable milks and which ones aren't. This article looks at several choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/environme...

message 7: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1607 comments Mod
Excellent, Robert.