Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta/CP Services Available

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (indigooowl) | 2 comments Fave Genres: Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, YA, New Adult, Romance, Erotica, LGBTQ+. But open to most things. 🌈🧠

I’m available if you want your part/full manuscript beta reading.

I’m an English Lit and Journalism grad and like to think I have a strong grip on the English Language, including grammar, punctuation, spelling etc.

I’m also an aspiring author myself who is just finishing up my own first draft. I will be looking for my own CP sometime this year.

Happy to help or make suggestions on plotting, pacing, characters etc.

I will give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, and will let you know my true thoughts on your work. Please reply to my post with a brief synopsis of your work and word count. I’ll then PM you back with the next steps 😊

Beta Status: Accepting Requests

message 2: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 27 comments Hello, Sophia.

I have a story in the 8th draft that could use another set of fresh eyes. It's sword-and-sorcery fantasy with coming-of-age and romance elements and shadow vs. light as the main theme.
Length: ~170k

Current (WIP) blurb:
For generations, the blessed warriors and magi of the Order of Eternal Defenders had fought to defend their lands from the endless hordes of demons with unmatched expertise.
The legendary warrior Kraasian Darkwood lost friends and family to the demons. When Tyr'eshal, his twenty-year-old son, accepts the offer to wield an almost forgotten power, Kraasian realizes there might never be a better chance to defeat the demons forever.
The resurgence of an underestimated foe with their eyes set on Tyr'eshal and the challenges of waging a war with merely a dozen Eternal Defenders will test Kraasian and his hope. More so when the cost of victory might be higher than he anticipated.

Content warning: One sensual sex scene, a few nudity scenes, and a few strong hints in the amount I've found appropriate for the story and its setting. Combat scenes are not overdone in detail so there should be no gore or such. No torture or such, small amount of light cursing.

I also have a few samples, including the full prologue, on my website if you'd like to have a look first.

I'd be okay with eventually returning the favor if your book would catch my interest - but I don't think I would have the time for it sooner than spring (I am beta reading three books at this point).

Thanks for your consideration.
Tomas

message 3: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Sevov | 81 comments Hello Sophia,

THE WORLD IS DYING
The Universal War has claimed every life it has touched for seventeen years. King Kerrasar has nearly won; soon he will reign supreme in a world where no human, wizard or any creature will be safe.
The fires of freedom are dying out. One spark of hope breathes. Its keepers live on the Capital, Planet Earth and as the universes drown in the darkness the truth burns brighter. The word of destiny is promising a quest, an awakening of gods and the return of a legendary warrior.
The world was not built for heroes. When your whole life has been in the shadows it is hard to kindle your spark. But the world's fate depends on that.

My 105K YA novel is a Fantasy with elements of Science Fiction in its final draft. A story of war, vengeance and change. It has dark moments, heavy themes as well as a bit of graphical gore. If you are interested please email me at ssevov17@yahoo.com
Best of wishes,
Stefan

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Burvid | 21 comments Hello Sophia,

So nice of you to offer to read for others. My novel teeters between epic fantasy and sword and sorcery, and is 153k words.
~
Barren desert marks where the Goddess upturned half a continent to bury and imprison demons that once threatened to swallow the world. On the desert's edge, a peculiar festival in the small town of Trillin attracts Deyn, a man who makes his living finding and selling secrets. He's been in the business for years, but only since learning to smell secrets using magic, has it become an addiction. As he sniffs out Trillin's sinister history and pursues two mysterious heroes come to break the town's curse, his addiction escalates to obsession.

When Trillin's residents vanish overnight without a trace, an ensemble cast with fates bound to the town gathers to discover what really happened, why, and how Deyn fits into it all. With an ominous darkness hanging over Trillin that only their eyes can see, they must confront and conquer the ancient evil deep beneath the town, before they too suffer the townspeople's fate.
~
If it sounds like something that might interest you, please let me know. Here, DM, or email contact@paulburvid.com. Thanks for your consideration.

message 5: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Theis | 51 comments Hi, My completed YA Fantasy is currently at 103,037 words. Here is the blurb I have been working on:

Shayleen Cooper doesn’t think she’s different or unique. Just another normal seventeen-year-old who diesnt fit in. Until the eerie night, she meets the monsters that show her just how different she really is.
She has no idea what is real anymore, including her own sanity. “Family history,” she’s sure the Docs will say, as they throw her in a padded room.
As she’s launched deeper in this unknown world, Shay has no choice but to fight.
No big deal right? All that stands in her way is her imprisonment, hordes of beasts, Shifters, and an unknown civilization living amungst them. All hell bent on killing her.
She discovers her unconventional family along the way, and the boy she just can’t have. But don’t they know to stay away from her? Everyone she cares about ends up dead or forever altered...

*Some violence and gore, as well as light profanity.
If interested message me, thanks.

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana | 5 comments Constructive criticism is fantastic! I've got a YA fairytale retelling at 107k words, told in 3 parts.

What is it? Genderbent retelling of Sleeping Beauty
Read it if you like: dark, unconventional twists on fairytales, psychological games between enemies, a general hint of Shakespearean tragedy, ladies with swords and spears, morally ambiguous protagonists, villains who are always scheming
Brief synopsis:
An infant prince is cursed to die horribly on his eighteenth birthday. The only way to survive into adulthood is to kill the brilliant, ruthless sorcerer who cursed him.
Unfortunately, that is easier said than done.

Message me if interested! Happy to swap later on if we're a good fit-

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Hoyt | 2 comments Hi Sophia,

I’m looking for a beta reader (or better yet, critique partner) for my 82k word contemporary new adult romance. I’d like to schedule this for sometime in the month of February.

Here’s a quick synopsis:

Lauren is a typical sorority girl at the University of Texas: overachieving, kind, attractive, but a bit self-absorbed and very privileged. She's starting her junior year of college, and with the possibility of new love, set on enjoying every moment. But her world is about to change when the demanding father she's never been able to please destroys her world and her identity.

Alex is a serious guy, both in his studies and in his increasing interest in the attractive girl in Finance class. This year, he's trying to establish his future and identity outside of his semi-famous family, but his private life is about to become disturbingly public in ways that threaten both his career path and his brand new relationship.

Please let me know if you’d be interested, and if you’re available for some time in February.

Thank you!
Courtney

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (107,410 words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdom's are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years.

Hoping to take advantage of the Kingdom's disheveled state is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who escaped the Shifter Kingdom and has unmatched fighting skills.

The small group wishes nothing more than to take over the Kingdom's and claim the thrones for themselves. However, one day Raven runs into the entity of Death, and he forces them to derail their plan and follow his, unknown to Richard and Colt. Raven has to go to the Kingdom that she never wanted to see again, the Mundus Kingdom. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatning their plans. Raven is forced to do as Death says, which begins to take a physical and mental toll on Raven. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Sophia,
great offer - but I bet you've been snowed under with requests.
I've got a slightly whimsical YA fantasy 62 000. I'll include the query blurb and you can see if it piques your interest.
‘All’s not well in Everwell’ is a YA fantasy of 62 000 words.
No oracle chose him. No king claims him as a bastard son. A tinkerer rather than a terminator, he is the default setting in a high stakes game. Silvanius von Stumpff, failed fashionista and novice sorcerer of average abilities is currently sent home on leave (read suspended) from the academy of Conjurations and Magicks. Which is a blessing for the queendom of Everwell.
His beloved queendom is about to be invaded by a northern prince and a horde of unstoppable mammosaurs. Concealed within the invader’s ranks is an unbeatable alien mage who plays a double game. The fate of Everwell and the world will reside in the hands of a beta mage in an alpha confrontation. Luckily, Silvie is not alone. The kickass princesses of House Roland and a pair of bling-loving, delinquent dragons will guide his hand. While a mad mage, trapped inside his familiar, helps and hinder him.
War. Death. Exploding pumpkins. His own twisted foot. Silvie must survive them all and be prepared to sacrifice himself and those he loves to fulfil his duty.
If it may appeal - I can send you the first few chapters to see if it meshs with your interests.
Feel free to email me at richarddevora@xtra(dot)co(dot)nz

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 14 comments Hi Sophia,
I have a ~109,000-word science fiction novel you may have an interest in. The blurb is:

61 percent of earthlings believe in alien life, no one thinks they live next door.

Jance is a friendly but snarky, sarcastic high school student who doesn't pay attention in class. All his life, he has believed specific irrefutable facts. The sky is blue. Vending machines kill more people annually than sharks. The population of cows in his hometown dwarfs the population of people. His father is a human being.

Turns out, that last fact isn't as irrefutable as he thought.

One day, a mysterious girl named Sammy shows up at Jance's house to inform him his dad is an alien. Initially, Jance has his doubts, both about his father's other-worldly origins and Sammy's sanity. But then his father conjures a ball of fire.

Now Jance will be flung into a world he had no idea existed. A world in which alien visitation, anarchist conspiracies, energy manipulation, and intergalactic war are just another Tuesday. He will be taught to fully utilize his abilities by Sammy, an alien herself who seems to despise everything. Especially Jance.

Disaster strikes when a single individual begins to violently rob military bases of their nuclear material. Things go from bad to worse when fluctuations in the earth’s gravitational field suggest a change in human history. Jance and his team will have to race to solve the robberies before history changes, permanently. Will Jance be able to find and stop this hidden threat and save reality before it is too late?

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 18 comments Hi, I have an 85,000 word speculative novel the requires beta reading and wondered if you would be interested. The summary follows:
With the Earth in steady decline due to global warming and overpopulation Jack forms part of a scientific expedition to colonize another planet in advance of a human migration in the future. When they arrive the group thrive in their new surroundings and enjoy their work but as time progresses they begin to doubt the value of their work and wonder what their fate, and the fate of their new planet, will be when the people from Earth arrive in large numbers. With that in mind they decide to construct a plan in which they all fake their deaths and prove to the people on Earth that the planet in uninhabitable.
The plan works initially, but instead of simply continuing as they had before and repeating the mistakes committed on Earth, the inhabitants of the new planet choose to start again, without the corrupting influence of money, religion, politics and social classes. Life is good but eventually disaster strikes when the people of Earth, who have finally discovered the deception, appear on the planet and take back control under the rule of the evil President Chalmers. Jack and his friends are put into concentration camps and forced to work to pay off their debt to society while the new arrivals take control of the town and quickly put the systems of old back into place.
With the help of Peter Connelly, one of the guards at the concentration camp, and the mysterious Jacob, who gets himself arrested so he can occupy the cell next to Jack’s, the prisoners escape and we follow their journey to freedom.

message 12: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 114 comments Hello Sphia,

"A Weekend Trip from the Afterlife" tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused natural disasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can still live their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.

The world has gone through a natural cataclysm and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers lie more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.

Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, and love.

The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 65,900(ish) words and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince".

I can send you the MS if it picks your interest.

Hope to hear from you.

Cordially,

Ali Benice

message 13: by M. (new)

M. G. Craig (mgcraig) | 2 comments Hi Sophia,

Based on your genre interests, I think you would enjoy beta reading my upmarket MM erotic romance (HFN ending) that is complete at 75,000 words. I am starting the second beta cycle in a couple weeks with a 4/15 deadline. Back cover and details are below - if you are interested, please reach out at madelynwinter at yahoo dot com.

RESIDENT ASSISTANT is an upmarket MM erotic romance (HFN ending) featuring analysis of substance abuse, LGBTQ-specific millennial dating norms, sexual power dynamics, and dissension between social classes. Content warning for strong language, explicit sexual content, and drug and alcohol use.

Chris Van Houten dated a cocaine dealer last year, but now he’s a resident assistant and busting underage drinkers. His professors might call what he’s feeling cognitive dissonance. But honestly? He’s just desperate for some middle ground.

Jarod Renault is stuck living on campus as a senior after his best friend bails on him. He’s still letting his dad pay his way through school, but it’d be an understatement to say he has a chip on his shoulder about it. And no one in his life knows anything about healthy coping mechanisms.

They both expect to have a drag of a school year. What are the odds that a random roommate could be any good, right? But when Jarod’s friend outs him to Chris, they strike up an arrangement that’s at first just convenient – and then either unraveling their worst habits or exacerbating them.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Brown | 68 comments Hi, Sophia,
If you're still looking, I'm looking for a Critique Partner or BetaReader (or two) for "Fallout," my 109,000 word adult near-future science fiction. Please let me know more about your WIP?

Blurb: Tenjō Edwards, a husband, father, and professor of History who was denied tenure despite his expertise in Cold War nuclear strategy, has opened a martial arts school in a suburb of a near-future Los Angeles. When a nuclear bomb detonates across the city, Tenjō knows the survival of his daughters and the others sheltering at his dojo requires keeping them together. However, their safety isn’t enough when his wife is lost somewhere deep in the evacuation zone, compelling him to leave the security of his dojo to find her, even if it means navigating a maze of radioactive fallout, martial law, and opportunistic thugs.

Agent: None/need at least one more big revision before I'm ready to query.

Last books read: Revenger, Alastair Reynolds (2016), Fortress of Eagles, C.J. Cherryh (1998), The Book of Phoenix, Nnedi Okorafor (2010/2015), FALL, Neal Stephenson (2019)

Books that define me? King's Gunslinger, CJ Cherryh's Cyteen, Gaiman's American Gods, KS Robinson's Three Californias, but I've also loved lately reading Leckie, Adeyemi, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, Valdes, Chakraborty, N.K. Jemisin, and others.

Email me if interested: tonchyaku@gmail.com

Thanks!
Robert

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee Peyregne (reneepeyregne) | 4 comments Hi Sophia, I have a completed YA ghost novella; first in what will be an ongoing series (I am currently ½ through the second book). I would appreciate a professional and communicative Beta Reader.
• Title: JEZ Ghost Negotiators Presents: The Screaming Lady
• Words: 25K
• Genres: YA Fantasy
• Full manuscript
• Asking for: Constructive Criticism
• Synopsis: A set of mentally interconnected triplets have formed a ghost negotiating business to assist mortal and paranormal alike to live comfortably in the same existence. In this adventure, they meet with a Ghost that lets out a blood-curdling scream at everyone that comes into “Remy’s Diner.” The town people are afraid to come into the Diner. Remy needs help or he will lose his diner, a Diner that has been in his family for generations. He calls on JEZ Ghost Negotiators, can they help Remy? Will they figure out who the Screaming Lady is in time to save Remy’s Diner?
• Please email me if you are interested in Beta reading my manuscript; reneepeyregne@gmail.com.
• Thank you

message 16: by D.E. (new)

D.E. Knightley (deknightley) | 3 comments Hi Sophia

I'll shortly be looking for a beta reader but would actually love to offer you a CP swap (for whenever you need a CP this year). I found my CP here on Goodreads and we have been acting as 'alpha readers' for each other's MSs. We have learned so much from each other and the time invested is 100% worth it. She is also an aspiring author and I published my first book last year. My second will be ready for beta reading some time in February. It is the sequel to this book: Strategic Entanglements but ought to be able to be read as a stand-alone.

I am not sure what the word count will be but hopefully around 85,000. It is essentially a love story but not a romance, more of a espionage suspense with sci fi elements and a bit of action. It is about two spies who work for the intelligence services of rival nations, set on an alternative Earth of the future. It features a strong female MC who is 25 in this book (so I suppose it might count as NA). It has quite a bit of sex, and some bad language.

As I mentioned, I would love you to beta read it when it is finished and give me honest and constructive feedback, and am happy in return to be your CP when you are ready (as long as your MS is not a fantasy, as I hate the genre!!).

Feel free to message me on GR or directly on deknightley@gmail.com.

Warm regards

Dee