Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

XI. Misc > Has anyone run promos or ads on Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments To date, I've only run a Facebook ad with questionable return. Has anyone run ads or promos on Goodreads?
What kind? What were your findings? Worthwhile? Costs?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 267 comments Thank you for asking, Jeff. I was wondering that too since my Facebooks ads haven't seemed to produce.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments Gail wrote: "Thank you for asking, Jeff. I was wondering that too since my Facebooks ads haven't seemed to produce."

I spent $50 on a Facebook ad, reached lots of folks, and my book sales went up a little afterward. I don't know if it was from FB or just coincidental. Still didn't cover costs.
I spent $100 on a FB ad, and got tons of engages, but almost 0 book sales have happened. Frustrating.
Trying to see where else is worth trying. Amazon is a confusing, tangled mess to advertise on.

message 4: by John (new)

John Parrino | 25 comments I am currently running an ad for my book, Carnal Envy at Valencia High, on Amazon. It is a steep learning curve to get keywords right and I’m competing with publishers with huge budgets. I have sold a few books so far but return on investment is puny. I’ll stick with it a bit more. Let you know if anything changes in a positive direction. John J. Parrino

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments John wrote: "I am currently running an ad for my book, Carnal Envy at Valencia High, on Amazon. It is a steep learning curve to get keywords right and I’m competing with publishers with huge budgets. I have sol..."

Thanks, John. BTW, I used to live near a Valencia High School. North of L.A. Different place? ;)

message 6: by E.D. (new)

E.D. Robson | 4 comments I've had the same response as Gail on Facebook, in fact I've tried low cost options to advertise both my books and my blog, and a Goodreads giveaway without generating much response. I'm going to concentrate on trying to get some reviews built up now I think. I can live with people deciding my writings no good, but I would like a few to try it!

message 7: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 31 comments Just FYI, the Goodreads self serve ads are going away:

https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 267 comments I have had some success with Pinterest, believe it or not. Ads are not as costly and I believe, some sales came from them. Just a suggestion. I also decided to do my own Giveaway, not sure e-book or perhaps paperback, which would cost more, but like E.D. says, gotta give it a shot. I had 1 reader from here that reviewed my book without provocation...she simply said, "Found this on Goodreads and thought I'd give a chance..." It was a good review. But I see here, we are competing with Steven King, etc. Yeah, he's got more $$ than God (and deserving of it). Just haven't a clue how to get noticed...not that mine would ever be best sellers...

message 9: by Blaine (new)

Blaine Wright | 12 comments That is the problem for us new to the industry. How to get people to know we have a product worth paying for. I feel a bit different than Gail. I really believe I wrote a masterpiece and it could be a bestseller if it can just get some notice.

message 10: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 267 comments We all believe that we have a bestseller, Blaine, me included. I was trying to be humble. It's all about getting noticed. That's the irony.

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments Thank you, Miss M, for the article. That helps.
We still have until Feb 4, apparently.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 267 comments And I thank you so very much for your review Cphe. I wanted to contact you and thank you, but from what I've read, Goodreads frowns upon contact from author to readers. But I do wonder how you came across my book...few others have here on Goodreads. Thank you again.

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments Gail wrote: "I have had some success with Pinterest, believe it or not. Ads are not as costly and I believe, some sales came from them. Just a suggestion. I also decided to do my own Giveaway, not sure e-book o..."

I'll look into Pinterest. Thanks!
And I've had luck with a few authors supporting each other here, and at least 3 sales have come from here. Its much appreciated (we all appreciate each other's support) but in the long run, a fan base/audience is needed to garner consistent sales. That's where I'm striking out trying to build one. As are most indies.
I asked Andy Weir, who came from self-pubbing originally, how he accomplished his feat. He had some good advice for basics (which most of us are doing), yet it admittedly still came down to luck. Right place right time, etc etc.
Such a hard thing to capture.

message 14: by John (new)

John Parrino | 25 comments Jeff...Valencia High is fictitious, based on my high school in Tampa, which I’ve discovered was a unique place with primarily Hispanic and Sicilian kids. Little known fact: Ybor City, next to downtown, has one of the largest Sicilian populations in US. Immigrated to work in the cigar industry. All four of my grandparents were cigar makers.

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 82 comments John wrote: "Jeff...Valencia High is fictitious, based on my high school in Tampa, which I’ve discovered was a unique place with primarily Hispanic and Sicilian kids. Little known fact: Ybor City, next to downt..."

John, I figured it was fictitious, just thought the coincidence was funny.
Sicilians and Cuban mobsters in one spot? Sounds dangerous. Best of luck to your book. :)

message 16: by Cphe (last edited Jan 12, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Cphe | 30 comments Gail wrote: "And I thank you so very much for your review Cphe. I wanted to contact you and thank you, but from what I've read, Goodreads frowns upon contact from author to readers. But I do wonder how you came..."

No thanks necessary - it was on one of the other threads and as I said before I decided to take a chance after reading the synopsis. It's always been about the novel/story itself.

Your novel was well written, constructed and well edited - refreshingly free of typos which is (from my POV) unusual with other SPA's I've read in the past.