2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Elisa wants to read 12 books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments Hi !
I hope I can fulfill my goal that is getting back to reading with reading at least a book a month this year. But I also hope I can go higher. Let's say I wouldn't want to challenge myself to read 50 books, it would make me more nervous than productive...

Right now I'm reading Harry Potter in English, it is quite a challenge because I know the story but I'm French, so I have to concentrate more.
And I also began the French translation of "Under the Dome" by Stephen King that I really like so far, even though I have some troubles with the amount of characters and their names...
But well, a challenge is a challenge !

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3985 comments Best of luck with you reading challenge, Elisa! The Harry Potter books were actually the first ones that I read in English for fun (I'm Dutch), and now I read everything in English.

message 3: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments Ilona wrote: "Best of luck with you reading challenge, Elisa! The Harry Potter books were actually the first ones that I read in English for fun (I'm Dutch), and now I read everything in English."

Thanks a lot Ilona ! And I truly hope I can reach that level, one of my goal is to be able to read more fluently in English, I'm glad this is a journey similar to some others had or currently have !

message 4: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 1/12 books (11th January) : Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Rated : 5/5

Where to begin with ?

I read the original version of the book, and how pleased I am that I had no trouble understanding it as a non-native English speaker.
The vocabulary is quite simple, the sentences are not too complicated, the descriptions are rather clear.
And well... it's Harry Potter ! I discovered this universe with the movies quite late because I was afraid of them when I was a kid. And the book is just so refreshing ! Going back to follow Harry's adventures, the ups and downs, with many more details, some (or even a lot ?) foreshadowing if we know what is happening next...
I really loved it. I don't know if my five stars are due to me really liking it a lot or if the sentimal value adds to it, but I would definitely recommend it to kids who can't get into reading and to people who want to read in English but don't have the best level ever.

I can't wait to read more about Harry's adventures.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll now continue to read the French version of "Under the Dome" by Stephen King, but I may also start Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secret (in English too, I'm planning to try and read all the series in English) and also a shorter book, "Time Bomb" by Joëlle Charbonneau !
So I can switch books in case I get bored.

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3985 comments Your review makes me wanna reread the series! :)

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments Ilona wrote: "Your review makes me wanna reread the series! :)"

I'm super glad to read that and I hope you will find pleasure in doing so if you end up rereading it !

I finished my second book !

2/12 books (12th January) : Time Bomb by Joelle Charbonneau

Rated : 3/5 (would have rated it 3,5 if I could)

Alright, I read this book in a day or so. It is not very long and the page including the hour and minutes really made me want to continue.

At the beginning, I was really thrilled. I love this kind of claustrophobic atmosphere in books. I was intrigued by the characters, they are so different in so many ways but they all have reasons to put and let bombs go off in their school.
I may have had some problems with the translation. I read it in French and I had real difficulties visualizing exactly the movements and the surroundings of the characters, especially when there is one particular action or that a character needs to find a way in the environment. I don't know if it was the translation or if it wasn't clear enough but that's a shame.
However, I really like the rhythm. The chapters are very short and we get six different point of views if I'm not mistaken. And it is good to know what each of the characters think about the situation. I also liked how it dealed with racism/bullying, it was interesting implementing this dimension.

I would have put 4/5 stars if I haven't guessed who was the bomber. I did not manage to completely get the "why" the character did it before it was clearly stated, but I had a strong feeling it would be that character, and I was kind of disappointed to see I was right. It felt like a surprise but not so much of a surprise to me.

But it overall is a good book, not so hard to read and entertaining !

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm now still reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King and "Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling.
I plan on beginning "Vox" by Christina Dalcher, and if I want to begin to read another series, I may begin the first volume of "The Witcher" by Andrzej Sapkowski.

I can't really tell what my next completed book will be, I'm sorry ! I just read whatever I feel like reading and it may change very quickly.

message 7: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 3/12 books (14th January) : Vox by Christina Dalcher

Wow, wow, wow...
I'm at a loss of words right now.
First off, what made me read this book was the idea of women being restricted to 100 words a day. And you realise that what you can tell to a friend in a minute requires way more than that. It was the first slap in my face. Second, all the surroundings, everything else that comes with that... and when you realise it actually happened and still happens in some countries. It is really moving and super hard to realize, emotionnally speaking, when you never took that much time to think about it.
And the plot... it's been quite a while I haven't wanted to hit characters that much ahah. I like that they are all different yet very human in their own way. Who must be blamed ? The individual or the brainwashing ? What's the percentage of responsability ?
But what I loved the most were the twists. Oh my ! Those twists ! When you think something is going to happen, that the books show you it happens the way you thought BUT you could barely be more wrong. It is intelligent, effective and absolutely stunning !!
I loved the book !

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really know what my next reading will be this time !

message 8: by Elisa (last edited Jan 17, 2020 11:51PM) (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 4/12 books (17th January) : City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I'm SO glad I finally decided to begin this book !
I read it so quickly but it was amazing ! To be honest, I'm (re-)watching Shadowhunters as I missed some characters, especially Alec, Magnus and Isabelle. I wanted to know about the book the universe came from, and was quite afraid I'd end up liking the show best.
But ow, it did not happen ! They weren't as much clichés as in the show (no "Clary's 18th birthday" to begin with), the characters are well-developped and some are even more interesting : Isabelle is more than just a woman that likes to play with others and she has much more in common with Alec. Jace, Simon... well, so much more character development and reasons for them to be who they are. I knew most of the twists, so when I get to the second book, I think I'm gonna be even more surprised and I'm waiting for it because the ability for plot twists is incredible !
I really, and I mean, REALLY, loved this book !

--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if beginning a new series was a good idea considering I still have a lot of series to read and stand-alones too, but I want to continue these first... we'll see !!

message 9: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 5/12 books (21th January) : City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Rated : 4/5

I'll be quick, I liked it and I love where it goes BUT there are so many good characters to develop, yet, everything revolves around Clary and Jace.
Simon is more developed and I love it, but we don't know much about Maia for example, and other characters like Alec, Isabelle or even Magnus are still not-too-developed, just as in the first book. I would have liked more of them and more of other secondary characters, like Raphaël.
I loved the book but the problem in the balance begins to annoy me a little. I hope it'll change because the story is very good !

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 6/12 books (26th January) : City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Rated : 4.5/5 stars

Still not as entertaining and it did not left me as breathless as the first book did.
Well, it was still very good ! I like the fact it is a bit more focused on the Downworld and not (finally) on Shadowhunters. Before, I felt that Downworlders were left aside while it was also their war, and I'm more than happy that it's been fixed.
I managed to figure out some of the most important plot twists, but the rest left me astonished. The ideas are really great and I love how hasting it gets when you reach the end. It was my favourite part, everything had to happen quickly but at the same time, the situation can't really let it be that way. Well, the rhythm was very good !
Not as good as the first book, but better than the second one in my opinion.
I'd gave it a 4.5/5 stars if I could !

message 11: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments 7/12 books (30th January) : City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Rated: 3,5 stars

Ow well... I would have given it 3,5 stars if I could.
To be honest, I have no idea what to think of this book. I didn't like it as much as the other three before, and I surprisingly liked the first part more, even though it is not the part when the action and everything happens. I got a bit bored in the middle, I really am tired of Jace now, and thanks, he is not the only focus in this book (even though he might be the main one).
I like Simon's character development a lot, as well as all secondary characters. There we got some development and explanations ! And that's good. But I still couldn't get as excited as before.
However, I really liked the end and the idea of the plot in this one, even though I actually liked it too late in the novel. But yes, the end is something !
So I hope the next book will at least go up to 4/5 stars ! I believe it can !

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments I am all about magic this year. I hope that your reading goal is your little touch of magic.
description

message 13: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 22 comments Aaaaw thank you for the message about magic it's so sweet !

In the meantime, I've read three more books !
I'm two books away from my goal. I'm gonna reach it and more !