What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Winds of Time
This topic is about The Winds of Time
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Aliens on earth, went into stasis in prehistoric times, awakened in 1950s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 176 comments It was set, and presumably published, in the 1950s. A guy goes hiking, finds a cave, meets humanoid aliens who have just woken up from a cryogenic stasis. There's a looooong flashback explaining how they got there. I think they went to Mars first and found it uninhabited. Unless they were from Mars, but I'm fairly certain they were from another galaxy, or at least solar system. When they arrive on earth and find only cave people, they calculate how long it will take for civilization to develop to the point of being capable of space travel. (I think they crashed and damaged their ship.) They chose what ends up being California, USA as a place that will be well-populated.

The hiker wants to help them, but darn it, it's still too soon: space exploration is getting started, like Sputnik, but no manned missions yet. If they had enough of their sleep serum, they could check out for another fifty years...but they only have a few drops. They try to duplicate it with Earth materials, and finally succeed. They (including the Earthling) wake up in the year 2000 or so, and space travel is simple and affordable.

--- The earthling is an MD who is a frustrated research chemist. He had to support a family, so that meant going into general practice and dealing with endless runny noses. Recreating the sleep serum is the kind of project he'd been longing to do.

-- He spent so much time in the mountains with the aliens that when he got back home, his wife was with someone else, thinking him dead. I think her name was Joan or Joanne.

-- The aliens (I think there were five of them; one or two may have died in the crash) look like Earth humans, but with slight differences in height, shape of eyes, maybe length of fingers.

-- The copy I read did not have a dust jacket. The cover was dark red with no art, just the title and author's name.

message 2: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 176 comments Bump!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Duckworth | 146 comments This has to be it :)

"The Winds of Time" by Chad Oliver?

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sho...

message 4: by Jon (last edited Feb 19, 2020 01:53AM) (new)

Jon Duckworth | 146 comments Lorna wrote: "Bump!"

This has to be it :)

"The Winds of Time" by Chad Oliver?
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sho...

message 5: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 176 comments That's it! Arvon was the alien captain's name. Thank you so much!

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 176 comments Okay, he wasn't the captain. Still, it was the right book. Thanks again!