Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Saavedra de Cervantes, Miguel--Don Quixote informal buddy read starts February 10, 2020

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

Synopsis
Don Quixote has become so entranced by reading chivalric romances that he determines to become a knight-errant himself. In the company of his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, his exploits blossom in all sorts of wonderful ways. While Quixote's fancy often leads him astray—he tilts at windmills, imagining them to be giants—Sancho acquires cunning and a certain sagacity. Sane madman and wise fool, they roam the world together, and together they have haunted readers' imaginations for nearly four hundred years.

With its experimental form and literary playfulness, Don Quixote has been generally recognized as the first modern novel. The book has been enormously influential on a host of writers, from Fielding and Sterne to Flaubert, Dickens, Melville, and Faulkner, who reread it once a year, "just as some people read the Bible."

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Oh, wow, the last month went by quick and tomorrow is the start date! Having read the first 100 or so pages before, I can tell you that this is not a book to be gulped down at once, 'cause it gets a little repetitive. Do we want to have a schedule?

message 5: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments Alanna wrote: "Oh, wow, the last month went by quick and tomorrow is the start date! Having read the first 100 or so pages before, I can tell you that this is not a book to be gulped down at once, 'cause it gets ..."

Yes, I think it's better if we have a schedule. My edition has over 1200 pages, so it's going to take a while. I already started reading the beginning, but I won't the able to pick it up next week because of work, so I plan to really start reading by next Saturday.

message 6: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Say, 100 pages a week, to the end of whatever chapter that lands in? Give us enough space to read other things so we don't get too terribly bored.

message 7: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments Sure.

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments I am willing to give it a go. You will be basing pages off the Penguin Classic version?

message 9: by Alanna (last edited Feb 16, 2020 01:48PM) (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments 〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "I am willing to give it a go. You will be basing pages off the Penguin Classic version?"

Oof, good point, I totally brain farted there. I'm reading out of the Penguin clothbound edition, but Penguin Classics works well.

message 10: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments My edition is a Penguin Classic, but in Portuguese.

message 11: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Using my copy since it's right here in front of me:

Prologue-Chap 14--2/16-2/22
Ch 15-23--2/23-2/29
Ch 24-33--3/1-3/7
Ch 34-43-3/8-3/14

and I'll figure out the rest as we go. If you have an objection, please speak now.

message 12: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments No objections so far. I'm already in chapter 7.

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments Only have intro and notes read so far. Sorry I am behind in reading. I do however find the notes hysterical especially knowing Shakespeare was his contemporary.

message 14: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Thoughts on chunk 1:

*It's really readable. Surprisingly so.
*Hoping the chapter plots start to change up some. It's starting to feel like watching episodes of Keeping Up Appearances.
*I know it was a popular idea at the time, but no, reading novels of no literary merit (whatever that means) isn't gonna make you crazy, Cervantes.

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments Alanna wrote: "Thoughts on chunk 1:

*Hoping the chapter plots start to change up some. It's starting to feel like watching episodes of Keeping Up Appearances.
*I know it w..."

I believe he is making fun of the Inquisition banning non religious books.

message 16: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments 〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "Alanna wrote: "Thoughts on chunk 1:

*Hoping the chapter plots start to change up some. It's starting to feel like watching episodes of Keeping Up Appearance..."

Huh. Yeah, I can see that.

message 17: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Feb 24, 2020 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments Made it to Chapter 9. The dueling Basque.
I was sad to see how lame the scene with the windmills was. I thought it would be funnier considering a phrase was coined regarding “Tilting Windmills”.
I laughed out loud when the priest and the surgeon were discussing which books to burn. The whole story about Cervantes’ other book only being half finished would prevent a burning but the surgeon not the priest must protect the book till part two is published. Nothing like inserting yourself in your own story and making sure everyone knows the church questions your writing.

message 18: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments I thought the scene with the windmills was gonna be more epic as it's so famous, but it was... a whole mess.
I've liked it so far, but Don Quixote is really delusional.

message 19: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I'm enjoying the story well enough, but I feel like I'm missing a whole lot of references.

message 20: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments I miss a lot of references because I don't read the notes lmao

I haven't read anything last week, but I'll try to come back to it this week.

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments I got some references because I like history but many were lost on me as well. I am around chapter 20. I took a break to read Interior Chinatown over the weekend for another group read.

message 22: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I have also fallen behind now. Since no one has said anything in two weeks, do we want to continue?

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments I am a little over 300 pages in. Slow going

message 24: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella | 35 comments I don't mind continuing, though I'm way behind.

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 177 comments Then let’s just read slow and as we come to interesting parts we can post.