Bookish Worms discussion

Monthly Challenges > General Reading Challenge Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 10, 2020 03:27PM) (new)

Here members are welcome to post ideas for YA reading challenges other than BOTM we can do as a group!

Post your ideas, a general description, how long it would be for, and any other information. You might have a chance to have your idea made into a challenge!
Even if your idea isn't chosen yet, it will definitely be saved for later!
I am already planning a team reading Bingo, so be on the lookout for that!

Try to come up with fun, unique challenges! Be creative!

message 2: by Herzl (new)

Herzl (hershiesdark) | 21 comments ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prompt-based challenges that one can do in a year or per quarter? Perhaps divide the prompts per month to give ample time to find a book based on each prompt? :) The prompts will be listed per quarter/half a year/year, and members must find a book in their Want to Read shelf that would suit each prompt. Might be a good chance to reduce the WTR/TBR pile lol

message 3: by Dalia (new)

Dalia | 89 comments That’s a good idea! We could all stockpile the list of books based on the prompt and use them as additional BOTM books.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prompt-based challenges that one can do in a year or per quarter..."

This sounds like a good idea!
What sort of prompts were you thinking?

(I'm still trying to figure out how the Bingo would work, so if you have any ideas I would love to here them!)

message 5: by Herzl (new)

Herzl (hershiesdark) | 21 comments Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prompt-based challenges that one can do in a year ..."

Any prompt that is not too predictable. I'm thinking prompts like, "a book written by an author from your country, a book from an author known for *insert trope/style*, an #ownvoices book, etc." :) I'm not too creative lol but I'm imagining prompts which are not too direct like "a book by this author, a NYT bestseller, a book turned into a movie" :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prompt-based challenges that one c..."

Sounds cool! We can work on it and if you have any other ideas or thoughts about it let me know.

Were you thinking to have one set prompt per month, or maybe like 2-6 prompts to choose between each month or do all of the options (like different levels based on how many prompts you want to complete each month?) sorry if that doesn't make much sense ;)

message 7: by Herzl (last edited Feb 11, 2020 08:12PM) (new)

Herzl (hershiesdark) | 21 comments Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prompt-based challen..."

ooh it would be better to have options, I think, maybe we can choose 2 per month out of 4-5 options, so that if some are fast readers, they can try to read books from all prompts. :)

the main goal that im think in of is for us to reduce our TBR pile, so the main rule is for us to choose books which are already in our want-to-read shelves :)

Mushka (Master of the Hewo) | 239 comments Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prom..."

thats a good idea ;)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Herzl wrote: "ooh I'm excited about the Bingo challenge! I dunno how it will play out, but I'm down! :)

For a book challenge idea, maybe a set of prom..."

That sounds good! Maybe we can try one out in March. (maybe have like a testing month to work out the details and get feedback on how the challenge went)

I'm to message you separately cause i have some questions to ask you :)

message 10: by Chada (new)

Chada | 8 comments a readathon challenge

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Chada wrote: "a readathon challenge"

That would be fun! Do you have any idea for a specific type of readathon?

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 98 comments Age challenge? I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this, but I'll try and explain.
So the YA target audience is somewhere between 12-18ish, right? So maybe try and read a YA novel with a MC for each age (12, 13, etc). That might be fun? So like for a 12 year old MC I might read 12 Finally, 13 maybe The Copper Key, 14 Unwind, etc. As long as one of the MCs is in that age range, and the goal would be to try and read a book for every age.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "Age challenge? I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this, but I'll try and explain.
So the YA target audience is somewhere between 12-18ish, right? So maybe try and read a YA novel with a MC ..."

That's a really good idea. I would have never thought of doing something like that, it's really unique. 😂
What you were you thinking along the lines of time frame/length, individual or teams, etc. ?

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 98 comments Haha thanks!

I don't want to speak for other people because personally I am a really fast reader, but to complete that it'd be 6 books...maybe a month or two? It could probably be compressed to a month if you wanted to do teams. Or it could be a month and people can either sign up individually or in teams (but I think no more than 3 people because it's only 6 books).
If it's gonna be a "see how many books you can read" type challenge, I think the goal should be to read a book from each age before you can do repeat ages (it is a challenge after all haha).

Feel free to add your own input as well...I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take over or something.

message 15: by Sara (last edited Apr 30, 2020 08:43PM) (new)

Sara | 98 comments Oh, and also I think it should be that you can't just read a series where the character ages up every book (like Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, etc) because one aspect of a challenge is to broaden what you read. But if you want to overturn that go ahead.

message 16: by Chada (new)

Chada | 8 comments well for the readathon, we should read the maximum of books in 2 weeks and there will be like 5 teams or more or less idk and in the end of 2 weeks we gonna calculate the points and see which is the winner team I think it will be so funny!:)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

we could do a name challenge, where each book you read has an MC whose name begins with a letter in your name. And then you would slowly build up your name with each book. (if you have a long name you could just abbreviate it)

message 18: by Chada (new)

Chada | 8 comments AspiringAuthor wrote: "we could do a name challenge, where each book you read has an MC whose name begins with a letter in your name. And then you would slowly build up your name with each book. (if you have a long name ..."

wow i love this challenge

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Chada wrote: "AspiringAuthor wrote: "we could do a name challenge, where each book you read has an MC whose name begins with a letter in your name. And then you would slowly build up your name with each book. (i..."

haha thank you!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Those are all really good challenges! Now to figure out when to fit them all in ;)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "Haha thanks!

I don't want to speak for other people because personally I am a really fast reader, but to complete that it'd be 6 books...maybe a month or two? It could probably be compressed to a ..."

That sounds good. Haha no problem I'm happy for the help to come up with challenges

message 22: by ☀ Kat (new)

☀ Kat Nova ☀ (katvnova) | 307 comments We could try an LGBT+ themed challenge for pride month since it's coming up? For example, trying to read one book for every letter of the spectrum (or as many as you can) and see who can read the most. Or something like that idk

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be cool!

message 24: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Kat wrote: "We could try an LGBT+ themed challenge for pride month since it's coming up? For example, trying to read one book for every letter of the spectrum (or as many as you can) and see who can read the m..."

That's a really great idea! I would love to read more LGBTQ+ books, since, I have only read a couple

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 106 comments Hey! I got this idea for a monthly challenge and thought I'd suggest it to you :)
We could maybe do a 'culture challenge' during which you would to read books from someone from the same culture as you :)
Also, if you want a specific number of books to read, you could read the number of letters in your country's name (ex: country = France - you'll read 6 books since there are 6 letters in 'France').
:)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Domitylle wrote: "Hey! I got this idea for a monthly challenge and thought I'd suggest it to you :)
We could maybe do a 'culture challenge' during which you would to read books from someone from the same culture as ..."

Ooo! I love that idea! Haha you are so good at coming up with challenge ideas :DDD
Not sure when we will do that, but I'll add it to my list!

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 106 comments XD great!
And thanks! :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG I love that idea!
We could definitely do that for 2021, I'll talk with the other mods :)

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 106 comments This is such a good idea!!!!!