MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

A Beer at the End of the World
This topic is about A Beer at the End of the World
Group Challenges & Discussions > WSW Ep. 1: A Beer at the End of the World - Jan 15th 2020

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments The first Weird Shit Wednesday read of 2020 is A Beer at the End of the World.

Short story, Sci Fi, free on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

"Marcus is a time traveler who, on his first trip through time, ends up not where he intended but in a mysterious junkyard full of strange artifacts and machinery. As he quickly discovers, he's not alone here, and the answer to what has happened to him and the motley assortment of strangers that surround him can only be revealed after they've all had a nice, cool drink at the Last Stop Bar & Grill."

Discussion will be on Wednesday, January 15th.

At the time discussion commences, it will be assumed that all participants have completed the read, so spoilers will abound. You have been warned.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Woot!

message 3: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda | 1179 comments Im excited :D

message 4: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments Don't forget - tomorrow is the day we discuss this week's book! Happy reading!

message 5: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda | 1179 comments I... totally forgot! xD
Thanks for the reminder. Time has been weird lately. possibly due to lack of sleep?

message 6: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments DoodlePanda wrote: "I... totally forgot! xD
Thanks for the reminder. Time has been weird lately. possibly due to lack of sleep?"

Lack of sleep can definitely throw of your concept of time.

I actually wrote the WSW stuff in my planner, otherwise I'd totally have forgotten too. LOL Today says, "Read WSW book" and tomorrow says "WSW Discussion".

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Thanks for the reminder!

Finished! Its a good story! Glad its so short, though. I had enough time to read it. LOL

message 8: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2605 comments My feed says you're only 99% done. :p

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments HomeInMyShoes wrote: "My feed says you're only 99% done. :p"

:-P

message 10: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments Woohoo! It's Wednesday!!

I liked it! It was definitely weird in the sense that it's a take on both time travel and deity that I hadn't seen before!

Maybe it was just me, but the writing in the beginning felt... clunky? A bit amateurish? But it seemed to smooth out a lot when he started talking to other characters. I got the feeling that the author had had "show, don't tell" drilled into him so intensely that he overcompensated a bit, maybe?

Regardless, I did enjoy it, and gave it 4 stars. An excellent one to start WSW 2020 with! And now we know, weird shit CAN be good! LOL

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "Woohoo! It's Wednesday!!

I liked it! It was definitely weird in the sense that it's a take on both time travel and deity that I hadn't seen before!

Maybe it was just me, but the writing in the be..."

I totally agree! In every sense.

I, too, felt the beginning was a bit awkward but it started getting really good by the time he was talking to the girl on the porch.

For a min, while he was talking to God about the end of the world, I got some flashbacks of Douglas Adams, but that went away rather quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was inspired by the The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I was also thinking, at first, that he couldn’t stay there as he’d be abandoning his wife… but then we learn she had left him. I started getting the feeling that everyone who stayed had nothing else to go home to. Which is sad. And the reasons why most of them were there was sad. But at the same time, I really enjoyed this read.

message 12: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I thought maybe I was just being picky. LOL

I got that same feeling, realizing why all those people were still there.

I kind of love the idea that over time, sooo many people actually invented time travel but the ones that decided to return home don't remember doing it so it technically never happened. Clever God. LOL

message 13: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda | 1179 comments Hello!
I'm finally home from work!
I really liked it too! I agree that the writing definitely improved along the way.
And like Christa said it was an fresh take on timetravel vs deity !

message 14: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda | 1179 comments i found the concept super well thought up, and fairly original as far as I can tell. it's prob gonna be at least 4 stars for me :D
great start to the wsw return!!

message 15: by Christa, The Returned (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa (christaw) | 1093 comments DoodlePanda wrote: "great start to the wsw return!!"

I agree!

Speaking of which, I've posted the proposed next book in the main WSW thread so if anyone has objections or a counter-proposal, now's your chance. :D

message 16: by DoodlePanda (new) - added it

DoodlePanda | 1179 comments nice! Ill have a look to see if i can get it here :P