Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Setting default edition

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (lharrison) | 2 comments I have combined editions, but currently the Polish editions are still showing as the defaults in the series. For example, I have tried in the Sword of Destiny to check the box to set the English edition as the default, but when I view all editions the Polish one remains on top. I really want to clean up Andrzej Sapkowski's works, especially because of the Netflix popularity--and want to encourage people to READ first.Sword of Destiny

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Librarians are not able to set the default edition of a work. For works whose default has not been manually set by the author (only possible if they have joined Goodreads and claimed their author page), the default edition will be the one shelved by the most users.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (lharrison) | 2 comments Interesting rule for books translated into English after 15 years, then become a hit streaming series. Goodreads' clients find the first book, Blood of Elves, then the series link contains four Polish version books for 2-5. Most people haven't clicked to see any of the 135 other editions, otherwise that edition would be shelved more.
If I search for Sword of Destiny, I get 57 results of which one is the single title but with no book cover, so people aren't going to select it. It's a never ending Polish spiral of inaccuracy.
How does this serve English speaking Goodreads' customers or the author or the publishers? Amazon/Goodreads wants people to click on "Want to Read" and continue the social media process so others follow.
I get that you want all authors to be in the Goodreads' stable, so they can edit their editions themselves, but I doubt this is going to happen with this author.
I'm sure there is more complexity and reasons for this rule that I cannot see, but the end result is still a disservice to fans of his books. Perhaps Jeff Bezos will buy Netflix and then this will be fixed?

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13655 comments There is nothing to "fix" here. Why shouldn't a Polish author have Polish editions as the default (especially if he was only translated into English after 15 years)?

You seem to forget that Goodreads is for all users, not just the English-speaking ones. Even English speakers should learn/know how to find a specific edition that is not the default.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Hardly any of my editions are the default, and that would be so for many people on GRs.

Its not difficult to find the edition you want, some people go by isbn others by the cover. Everyone has a choice.