Play Book Tag discussion

Around the World in Eighty Days (Illustrated First Edition): 100th Anniversary Collection
Archive: Other Books > Around the World in Eighty Days / Jules Verne - 4****

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5630 comments Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages, #11) by Jules Verne
Around the World In 80 Days – Jules Verne
Digital audiobook performed by Frederick Davidson
4****

One of the books in Verne’s series of “Extraordinary Voyages” begins when Phileas Fogg accepts a wager at his gentleman’s club. He’s certain that he will be able to circumnavigate the world in eighty days. Taking a significant amount of cash and his trusty servant Passepartout, and chased by Detective Fix who is certain Fogg is a bank robber, they set out on a grand adventure.

I’d seen more than one movie adaptation but had never read the book until now. What a delight! (Although, of course, there are some racial stereotypes that grate on the modern reader’s sensibilities.)

I marveled at how cool and collected – almost uninterested – Fogg remained throughout. He is never upset or even particularly inconvenienced. He moves with the certainty that he is correct in assuming that he can achieve this great task. Passepartout on the other hand is in a dither frequently, and he is a wonderful foil for Fogg … and for Detective Fix.

Great fun!

One quibble re cover art. SO many covers (as well as the movies) show the iconic hot-air balloon … which is NEVER used in the book!

Frederick Davidson does a marvelous job narrating the audiobook. He sets a good pace and I loved the way he interpreted the characters. I was happy also to have a text copy available, which included a handful of full-color illustrations, as well as a small drawing of the mode of travel for each of the chapters.

LINK to my review

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review.

message 3: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6298 comments I love this book, the movies, and the Jim Dale audio. Truly an entertaining book that can be read again and again.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5630 comments OH, I think Jim Dale would do a fantastic job of this book! But I don't think my library system has his performance in their audio selections.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7227 comments Oh, what memories this book brings back! Thank you for sharing

Jgrace | 2748 comments Years ago I listened to Patrick Tull read this one. I enjoyed his performance. I'm not a fan of Frederick Davidson, B.C. ! His performances are the kiss of death for me. But, I agree with you about Jim Dale. I may try that one for a reread.

message 7: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6298 comments Jim Dale doesn't just read it, he essentially 'performs' it. Dale brings such life to these readings.

Hayjay315 | 203 comments I read this book for the first time last year having never seen any of the movies so did not know what to expect. I was delighted with the characters and the whimsical moments of the storyline! I kept waiting for the hot air balloon to make an appearance and was a tad disappointed it did not. Glad your experience with this one was overall pleasant.