Book Club for Introverts discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest > Week 1 discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Read to page 63 or 6% of the Kindle edition.

Always read the footnotes as you go. It may seem tedious at first but they literally make the book make sense. Try to keep up week by week - I've found that getting behind is really overwhelming.

Lastly, there are no silly or dumb comments or observations here. This book is meant to make you ask questions and come up with your own ideas. Don't be afraid to discuss them here!

Here we go!

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Besaw | 12 comments Not sure if my page numbers correspond because the Goodreads count is slightly different from my copy, but I made it through page 62. I'm not going to pretend to completely understand what is happening currently, but I think I'm grasping enough to keep up.
Some of those sentences...WHEW!!!

brettlikesbooks | 4 comments sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the ‘deadline’ for this first section?

Julie wrote: "Not sure if my page numbers correspond because the Goodreads count is slightly different from my copy, but I made it through page 62. I'm not going to pretend to completely understand what is happe..."

You won’t know what’s happening for a bit. Totally normal!

It’s usually the footnotes that throw off the page count. Next week I’ll add some text from the book showing where to stop.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 12, 2020 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

brettlikesbooks wrote: "sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the ‘deadline’ for this first section?"

No dumb questions here! I’m going to post each new week on Thursdays. I figure that will give those with quiet weekends time and then also catch those who have more time during the week. If anyone wants me to adjust it, let me know your thoughts!

And as always, each topic will stay open if you need end up a bit behind.

brettlikesbooks | 4 comments the bit of text will be helpful, because i’m not 100% sure the page #s sync from edition to edition??

will have my reading done today—but i’m traveling through sunday so i may not be able to jump in discussion until then because i’m not taking this BRICK 🧱 on vacation 😂

message 7: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin (kdarby) | 20 comments I am just starting the book. I'm on page 24, and whoo this already feels like a doozy!

brettlikesbooks wrote: "the bit of text will be helpful, because i’m not 100% sure the page #s sync from edition to edition??

will have my reading done today—but i’m traveling through sunday so i may not be able to jump ..."

I can't believe you didn't want to carry an extra bag on vacation for this book! ;)

Kristin wrote: "I am just starting the book. I'm on page 24, and whoo this already feels like a doozy!"

It gets easier as you go - I promise. You get used to the writing style.

I found it helpful to take notes and start to draw out a timeline.

Rachel (rachelcmrn) Just got my copy from the library! Going to try and catch up while sort of understanding what is going on. Hal is entertaining for sure.

Rachel (rachelcmrn) 12% in and pretty lost. The footnotes are distracting. Is the finish really worth it? I found the 5 Stages of Reading Infinite Jest. Currently stage 3: https://diaryofasquirrel.blogspot.com...