Book Club for Introverts discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest > Welcome, tips, and format

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Welcome to our 8ish week read of Infinite Jest!

I read this book with a group earlier last year and truly believe the best way to read this book is in a group setting. It's considered a daunting book due to its size, heavy use of footnotes, shifting timelines, and postmodern style of writing. It is unlike any other book I have read. It's can be frustrating at times but it is a rewarding experience in the end. For me it was life-changing and it made me both a better reader and a better writer.

The "chapter" format is unusual so we will be using page numbers to stop at and discuss. I will also include the Kindle %'s since I highly recommend that over the physical book/doorstop. Also, it's crucial to read the footnotes as you go and an eReader makes that much easier.

I'm really excited to read this book again with y'all! So we can get to know each other, please introduce yourself and share a little bit about why you want to tackle this book - I always think the reasons are interesting!

message 2: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Gard | 2 comments Hi! I just picked it up from the library and will be starting it tonight....had no idea it is so huge!! I’ll try it though!

message 3: by Gadzhi (new) - added it

Gadzhi Rasulov | 6 comments So excited for this, would never finish it by myself :)

brettlikesbooks | 4 comments hi all! 👋🏻
i’m brett from OK (@brettlikesbooks)
i’m here because jennifer encouraged me to join in after i whined about how daunting Infinite Jest is. i have a degree in english literature FOR CRYING OUT LOUD and i feel slightly shamed that i haven’t yet attempted it, but IJ’s doorstop-esque quality and DFW’s brilliance has long intimidated me. it has just sat on my TBR bookshelf, looking at me with disdain, smugly daring me to give it a go. so COME AT ME david foster wallace. let’s do this.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Ast | 16 comments Hahaha. I’m glad to be part of this courageous group!!!!! I have the eBook on hold on Libby, and I’ll go by the library too to see if I can pick up the hard copy. Gotta see this monster! The reviews make it seem really worthwhile, so I’m with you all on this journey. Happy reading!

message 6: by William (new) - added it

William Stanger (wcs53) | 28 comments I’m looking forward to tackling this behemoth with you all. There’s no way I’d manage this one by myself.

message 7: by Jack (last edited Jan 11, 2020 10:19AM) (new) - added it

Jack I might just have to join in on this. It's been on my bucket list (and sitting on my Kindle) for a good while now. I imagine a ton of it is going to go way over my head, but having a group to discuss it with should help with that. Should be a good challenge!

I want to read it because I've seen it posted so much within online literary circles (to the point that's it's basically become meme material), and I want to see what all the fuss is about. Also it's been quite a while since I've read anything that is considered actual literature.

message 8: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Besaw | 12 comments My name Julie from New London, WI. And I am afraid of no book!!! Sometimes I just need a little kick in the pants to get started on some of them. I'm excited to give this one a try.

This is going to be a fun group!!

One thing I learned when I read it the first time was to make a timeline. You'll soon see that the "chapter" names are unusual but really help you get your bearings.

message 10: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack How do these discussions usually work, by the way? Do people tend to post things on the fly, or read the full section?

I made a start on it today, and have enjoyed what I've read so far. It seems DFW really likes to drive the point home, which isn't a bad thing at all, but if the whole book is written like this then it's no wonder it's such a door-stopper!

Jack wrote: "How do these discussions usually work, by the way? Do people tend to post things on the fly, or read the full section?

I made a start on it today, and have enjoyed what I've read so far. It seems ..."

Yep! Your thoughts, questions, observations, etc... just like you did here. :) I’ll also post to pre-planned questions.

message 12: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Besaw | 12 comments Just curious when the next section will be added. :)