Book Club for Introverts discussion

Such a Fun Age
This topic is about Such a Fun Age
Such A Fun Age > Chapters 1 - 5

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Let's discuss! To avoid spoilers, please only discuss the chapters listed in this topic. There will be a general discussion topic as well that will contain spoilers.

Julie Besaw | 12 comments Finished this section last night. I'm intrigued, though the writing feels a little "jerky". Will keep going to see where the story is taking us.

Nina (neensreads) | 10 comments I can already tell based on this first set of chapters that this one will touch on some deeper topics.

I'm intrigued by the relationship between Alix and Emira. I feel like there is an unspoken distance between the two even though Emira watches Alix's children. I'm curious to see how that relationship will develop.

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
I agree that the writing isn't flowing quite yet.

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes. I usually need to feel like I could be friends with a character to like them - I would not be friends with Alix as of yet.

The grocery store scene was horrifying.

Julie Besaw | 12 comments It was horrifying. But, I mean, if she had stolen this little girl, why on Earth would they be dancing in the middle of a grocery store in that part of town in the middle of the night?????

Marian | 5 comments Mod
I love this so far. The most excellent way the author pinpoints the awful tidbits that make it so believable is impressive. And for me the disjointed style so far really works. I feel like this author could take it anywhere and I'm here for it. Love the writing.

Also, (another love) the way the two women's points of view are written is fascinating and so different. The way they narrate, or the way their points of view are narrated, is so interesting and so different already.

Kelly Garlinge (bookishly_kelly) | 2 comments It’s taken me awhile to start this, but finally picked it up this afternoon and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. Not really sure how I feel about any of the characters yet, hiring someone to look after your kids without knowing much about them seems insane. Why did she choose Emira? Is it just because she didn’t know who she was? But I do get that lost feeling after you have kids and move away from the life you have so I don’t completely dislike her. Emira at point seems full of life but then when you think of her drifting through it that contradicts it. I do not like Peter or Kelley and assume Kelley is Alix’s ex or something so that’s going to be complicated. Flawed characters aside, there is plenty going on to intrigue me.

Becca It took forever for me to have this book delivered this time as it was only just released in Europe so I'm only now starting on it...

This far I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. It seemed very heavy from the description but while the scene in the supermarket was dreadful and I can sense there's heavy stuff is to come, those first chapters were a good introduction into the two women's mindsets. I don't mind the disjointed style but rather enjoy getting those two very different angles instead...

I'm not quite sure what to think of the characters just yet, though... I can relate to some parts of both women's lives but don't quite get other parts. And as for the men... I don't know. Peter could still turn out to be good and naive or secretly prejudice-ridden and Kelley seemed like trouble even before that clue about his connection to Alix... so let's see where this is going to take us.

Carrie (literary_cosmos) (literary_cosmos) I have a feeling that while the grocery store scene was horrifying that it may be far more common than we realize. I'm also not sure if I like the characters yet. I'm beginning to question Alix's choices.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ruth | 35 comments I’m not really liking wht I’ve read so far. I can pin point what it is yet.

Bridget (midge1) | 8 comments I just received a copy of this book and I have only now started on it.

I've enjoyed reading it so far though I'm struggling to understand why anyone would prefer to have their three year old daughter out on the streets late at night with a babysitter, rather than in their own home, in what is surely a safer environment.

I like the opposing way the author has presented Alix's and Emira's different backgrounds and history. Feminist Alix's is written in great detail showcasing her success and popularity as a blogger and entrepreneur. On the other hand, Emira's is short, brief and to the point.

I am undecided at this point about Peter as his comment on air implies he may be racist, but I'm leaning towards him not thinking enough about what he's saying before he speaks. After all, he was happy enough for his wife to employ a babysitter without asking questions about the babysitter's history.

My initial thoughts on Kelley are that he is a former boyfriend of Alix's, and they have a notable past. Very intriguing, though time will tell...