Call Me by Your Name Call Me by Your Name discussion

I wish Aciman writes CMBYN again but from Oliver's point of view

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Asif It would be great to reread the whole story but from Oliver's POV.

Oliver Although I agree, I imagine he would have a lot of backlash writing from the POV of an adult interested in a younger kid.

Chiara Odorici It could be cool.
Therefore, it's really difficult to catch the same amont of interest

Any way would be interesting

t a m a r a i think it'd add new dimension to the story and bring us closer to Oliver, but it's also quite risky to do that because the story could lost its charm

genevieve♡ That would be cool to see it from Oliver's point of view. I remember Oliver telling Elio he always wanted him but he just hid it better. I want to know what he was thinking at the beginning of the book.

nathalie That should've been the second book! I haven't read Find me yet but I'm kind of terrified

genevieve♡ Nathalie wrote: "That should've been the second book! I haven't read Find me yet but I'm kind of terrified"

You may hate it, you may love it. It totally messes up with the endings od CMBYN. I liked it, decently!

Lotte Honestly, that was the sequel we deserved. Find me is not doing it for me and I'd be far more interested in CMBYN written from Oliver's pov than Find me.

Hannah Ledgerwood Asif wrote: "It would be great to reread the whole story but from Oliver's POV."I think it would probably end up as a modern Lolita-ish, especially seeing as Aciman and Nabokov have similar writing styles when the narrator thinks about their love interest. I actually started reading CMBYN while reading Lolita and drew a lot of parallels with their language use.

Colleen I would love if the sequel was from Oliver's pov instead of the actual sequel. It would be so interesting to compare Elio and Oliver's thoughts in the same scene.

Nikki It would be super interesting, but I think the current ambiguity of Oliver's perspective is what makes the book so great. Maybe using the same storyline could feel a little repetitive.

Sophia Chavarria Nikki wrote: "It would be super interesting, but I think the current ambiguity of Oliver's perspective is what makes the book so great. Maybe using the same storyline could feel a little repetitive."
I agree, the idea of reading a book with a new perspective would be super interesting however, I feel like the current book would lose its charm.

Ahmet Alattas I would be interested too, but without going into what's ethical, I think most heteronormative men, evolutionary, do not care about emotional bonds as much as Elio did (I hate to generalize but there is some truth here). It seemed like Oliver was just trying to pass time and would not be as interesting as it was from Elio's perspective. Oliver would just probably get married and have kids.

Nathen Závada This is what we need! I was so surprised when I read about Oliver's interest in Elio from the beginning. I would love to read about Oliver's restraint in keepings his feelings from Elio.

I think CBYN would still keep it's charm; I've sat on Elio's perspective for quite some time already and I think Aciman's stream-of-consciousness writing will keep us readers just as intrigued.

message 15: by Rag (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rag It would have been nice

Shreya I just came across this thread! I think CMBYN retold in Oliver's POV might raise some ethical concerns mostly due to the age gap. However, I wish we had seen more of Oliver's POV in Find Me. His chapter was so well written in Find Me but it was only around 30 pages in a total of 250 pages.

Nimisha Ajaikumar this is all i ever wanted <3

Kaydence Skiles I would agree. to be honest, I felt like it was hard to truly understand Oliver's emotions towards Elio through Elio's point of view. Of course to us, the readers, it feels like Oliver doesn't really care about him at all when we know that's not entirely true. I guess I would like to see his thought process of why he got married, or how he felt through the first weeks of being there. In the second book we get a look at Oliver's thoughts and emotions a little more through his narrative.