Hollows Read-along to AMERICAN DEMON discussion

Outlaw Demon Wails > A change in narrator for this book

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Kesteloot (tammyk673) | 8 comments I’ve been doing this re-read via Audio. And I’ve grown to love Marguerite’s voice. So when I started this book last night and heard Gigi. I was really thrown. Am I the only one?

message 2: by Danielle "Nae" (new)

Danielle "Nae" (dannernae) | 61 comments No, I don’t care for this narrator either. She mispronounces names and I don’t care for her delivery. It reminds me of someone reading to kids or a soap opera (melodramatic). It bums me out too because otherwise, I really like this book. And it happens at Halloween; I love seeing how Interlanders celebrate!

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 8 comments Tammy wrote: "I’ve been doing this re-read via Audio. And I’ve grown to love Marguerite’s voice. So when I started this book last night and heard Gigi. I was really thrown. Am I the only one?"

Nope, not the only one. IIRC, I bailed @ mid-way audio re-read & went back to MMP.

At least only for 1 book? :)

message 4: by Dlb (new)

Dlb (dlb1040) | 33 comments I had completely forgotten that ODW had a different narrator. I guess I am too accustomed to Marguerite Gavin’s style and voice. The new narrator just took me out of my listening zone in my head. I especially hated her pronunciation of the names. OMG! I can’t tell you how many times I groaned when she said “Takata’s” name UGH! #NotMyRachel #NotMyNarrator

message 5: by LilWashu (new)

LilWashu | 61 comments I thought it was just me! Bleh! Is Marguerite back for the next one?

message 6: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine | 7 comments I agree, it's so hard to have a different narrator. So glad it's only one book!!

message 7: by Danielle "Nae" (new)

Danielle "Nae" (dannernae) | 61 comments Dlb wrote: "I had completely forgotten that ODW had a different narrator. I guess I am too accustomed to Marguerite Gavin’s style and voice. The new narrator just took me out of my listening zone in my head. I..."
I was listening in my car today and kept yelling at the stereo “ it’s not PIS-ka-ree, it’s pi-Sc-AIR-ee! Grrr! And that’s not how you pronounce LEY LINE! Lol

I think it bothers me so much because I took the time to look at Kim’s webpage to see how these odd names are pronounced when I was reading them the first time (without the audiobooks). This narrator is making a lot of the same mistakes that I did at first. I don’t like that she is narrating the book, for which I’m assuming she was paid, but didn’t take the time to learn details about this world she is supposed to transport me to.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela  Goloskie (thoughtcrimes1984) | 6 comments LilWashu wrote: "I thought it was just me! Bleh! Is Marguerite back for the next one?"

Yes, the next book returns to Marguerite. Thankfully.

message 9: by LilWashu (new)

LilWashu | 61 comments So sick of hearing Takata sound like gunshots....

message 10: by Kim, mistress of the Hollows. ;-) (new)

Kim Harrison (kimharrison) | 79 comments Mod
Ms. Gavin and I are both working to get her to read AMERICAN DEMON. Should happen!

message 11: by LilWashu (new)

LilWashu | 61 comments Yay! Thank you, Kim!

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicib) | 2 comments I really hope so. Thank you!

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 8 comments Kim wrote: "Ms. Gavin and I are both working to get her to read AMERICAN DEMON. Should happen!"

Excellent! thx :)

message 14: by Twhyla (new)

Twhyla Y. | 2 comments Excellent news! Since I am a fan of Audio books - since who wouldn't want to listen to a book while washing dishes or cooking - I do pay closer attention to the narrator since this book was the first one where the narrator changed and it threw me a little. Some narrators just makes the book come alive more so than others!!

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Kesteloot (tammyk673) | 8 comments Kim wrote: "Ms. Gavin and I are both working to get her to read AMERICAN DEMON. Should happen!"

Wooohooo!!! Thats wonderful news Kim... I hope that pans out!!

message 16: by Nickie (new)

Nickie (onenickie) | 7 comments Gavin Also narrates the truth series I believe, just as good there too

message 17: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine | 7 comments Yay!!!

message 18: by Rune (new)

Rune Oflynne (runetcu) | 28 comments Over in the Cincy Underground FB Group we have a special thread for Gigi. You are NOT alone. It is like nails on a chalkboard.

message 19: by LilWashu (new)

LilWashu | 61 comments Alexa is a better narrator. At least she can pronounce Takata. (Although she calls the F.I.B. “Fib”)

message 20: by Marti (new)

Marti Garner | 4 comments I will have to actually read ODW because I cannot stand Gigi's voices and pronunciation.