Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Reading Challenges > Counting Books Read for Challenges

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Leroux | 6 comments Hi!

I was wondering if multiple novels in one book count as multiple reads in challenges. For example, sometimes the first and second novels of a series is published in one book.

Goodreads counts the merged book as one novel read because of its unique ISBN, but I truly read two novels regardless of the format. Therefore, some people post different editions of the novels as read for it to count as two novels.

What do you do?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 354 comments I'd count it as two. #YourChallengYourRules

message 3: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Leroux | 6 comments Thank you for your input! That is what I thought I should do. I just did not know if counting it as two books would be some type of cheating.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Mercer | 4 comments I would count them as they were originally published. If they were originally published separately then count 2. For example, with ebooks lots of series are subsequently published years later under a single ebook. I have a few going myself atm. If you have selected this combined edition as what you have started reading then as you mentioned Goodreads will count it as a single book.

But if the 2 books was only ever published under one joint cover then it should probably be counted as one. This last is not common I think.

message 5: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Leroux | 6 comments I completely agree!

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I think that would be considered 2 books. At least I always list them that way in challenges.