What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Unnatural Creatures
This topic is about Unnatural Creatures
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. A book of short stories I read in 2014-2015 YA and Canadian (I think). [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Itely (new) - added it

Itely | 9 comments I read this book in 2013-2012, and there was one about a museum and another about mermaid (I'm pretty sure). I remember one specific story about a fuller-figured Asian (possibly Chinese? I think the stories were based on different mythology, and I'm pretty sure this one was Chinese) girl in 8th (? I remember an 8. The content makes it seem older though.) grade who had been told stories her whole life that had to do with swallowing cherry seeds. Of course, she ends up swallowing a cherry seed on the way to a party, walking with a good friend (whom she has a crush on), and her stomach is kinda upset. She goes to the party, and, surprise, surprise, school bully was there. Now school bully was saying quite alot of inappropriate things bout her, particularly that she let them suck boobs. Now that was very untrue, but we all now that. They end up "playing" (honestly is it even a game?) postman. She gets one, to much surprise, and she hopes it was nice, good, friend, but it was instead school bully. School bully tries to assault her, but the cherry stories seemed to be true. A dragon appeared (or she became a dragon, I can't quite remember) and saves her. She gets out of the closet (yay), and people had heard a commotion and came over. She tells them that bully stuck his hand up her bra, and they were like not cool dude. She asks if anyway was gonna send her a serious mail? note? and one boy says yeah. The friend! Yay. Anyway I really wanna read it again. Please help.

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 09, 2020 05:50AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Unnatural Creatures maybe?
The story you describe can be "The Smile on the Face" by Nalo Hopkinson.

message 3: by Itely (new) - added it

Itely | 9 comments Ah that might be it. I’ll check it out.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33427 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Unnatural Creatures edited by Neil Gaiman - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=rWp... There are different cover images. "The Smile on the Face" by Nalo Hopkinson starts on page 373.

message 5: by Itely (new) - added it

Itely | 9 comments Oh, this is the book, thank you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unnatural Creatures (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nalo Hopkinson (other topics)
Neil Gaiman (other topics)