Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > February 2020 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2463 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for February 2020.

READER books need to be
* currently in print in either hardback or paperback (or both). Requiring a special order from a store or website counts, but not if the book is only available used.
* currently available in multiple ebook formats, from multiple vendors
* Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere.
* If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.
* Please no blatantly erotic books, as some of our members are not full adults yet.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 9 comments I’m on my phone. Can you link to the group bookshelf please here?

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Group bookshelf is here https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Or you can just nominate a book without checking and be prepared for me to say we already read that one.

message 4: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 9 comments K, just trying to
Follow the rules as it says don’t nominate a book already on the shelf :)

message 5: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 9 comments I would like to nominate Quantum by Patricia Cornwell I got for free in a kindle first read I believe and never had a chance to read it.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 18 comments I'll also nominate a scifi novel by an author better known for crime writing, Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I nominate

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jan 12, 2020 01:29PM) (new)

Summary so far:
Quantum (Captain Chase #1) by Patricia Cornwell Quantum by Patricia Cornwell. Nominated by Atl. Awaiting seconds.
Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre. Nominated by Paul. Awaiting seconds.
The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. Nominated by Ryan. Awaiting seconds.

message 10: by Aine (new)

Aine Miller | 3 comments Ok so I can second more than one (just reading the rules)? Therefore I second Places in the Darkness and also The Quantum Magician

message 11: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Aine wrote: "Ok so I can second more than one (just reading the rules)? Therefore I second Places in the Darkness and also The Quantum Magician"
That is correct. So we have two books seconded! The next time I do a summary that will be so noted.

message 12: by Suman (new)

Suman Saha (suman_saha) | 32 comments I would nominate Ancestral Night Ancestral Night (White Space, #1) by Elizabeth Bear by Elizabeth Bear. This book is likely to be a more realistic (scientific) space opera and I can't wait to read one.

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke | 125 comments I will second Ancestral Night.

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Quantum (Captain Chase #1) by Patricia Cornwell Quantum by Patricia Cornwell. Nominated by Atl. Awaiting seconds.
Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre. Nominated by Paul. Seconded by Aine.
The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. Nominated by Ryan. Seconded by Aine.
Ancestral Night (White Space, #1) by Elizabeth Bear Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear. Nominated by Suman. Seconded by Brandon.

message 15: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations will close on the 22nd. So far we have three books that have been seconded.

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 47 comments I’ll second Ancestral Night.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I second Places In The Darkness

message 18: by Lily (new)

Lily | 2 comments I second Ancestral Night.

message 19: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre. Nominated by Paul. Seconded by Aine and Ryan.
The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. Nominated by Ryan. Seconded by Aine.
Ancestral Night (White Space, #1) by Elizabeth Bear Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear. Nominated by Suman. Seconded by Brandon, Caitlin, and Lily.

message 20: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. I count these seconds:
2 Places in the Darkness
1 Quantum Magician
3 Ancestral Night

Rolling random numbers now.

message 21: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Our Reader pick is Ancestral Night.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.