Into the Forest discussion

Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
This topic is about Tithe
Magical Beings > Tithe Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret | 3550 comments Mod
Here we can spoil away in our discussion of Tithe by Holly Black.

message 2: by Jalilah (last edited Feb 14, 2020 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalilah | 4341 comments Mod
I reread and liked it just as much the second time around. It's not a favourite of all time 5 star book, but it's certainly enjoyable!
I had forgotten a lot and this time I was paying attention to the faerie courts because the events are mentioned in The Darkest Part of the Forest. Of course you know that Kaye and Roben have a small part in The Cruel Prince. The story continues in Ironside, which, think me crazy, but I feel like reading again.
The first time I read this book I was new to this type of lit. I was surprised at the grittiness and that it would be allowed in a YA book. I hadn't up until then read many YA books, but I guess I just kind of assumed they would be squeaky clean. I also did not know much about fairy lore back then, so now that I do I appreciate Blacks writing even more.

So I am curious how those of you who read Blacks other books find this one in comparison!

message 3: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Jalilah wrote: "So I am curious how those of you who read Blacks other books find this one in comparison!"

The only other I've read is The Darkest Part of the Forest, but I liked it more than Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale. The former felt grittier to me, maybe less aware it was being written for young adults -- Tithe was her first YA after all.

Plus, it's been 18 years since Tithe was first published... I think authors are "allowed" to write even more realistic, complex YA nowadays - gender and identity issues, sex, drugs, etc. But I think if I had read Tithe early on, before I'd read other modern fairy tales, it would've been 5 stars for me. The pages do practically turn themselves.

So, on the publisher page, there's a reading group guide with a couple fun questions. One that caught my eye was:

If you were Kaye, what gift would you have given to the kelpie if the broken carousel horse had not been available?

Leah wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "So I am curious how those of you who read Blacks other books find this one in comparison!"

The only other I've read is The Darkest Part of the Forest, but I liked i..."

I don't know how I missed your comment Leah!

I agree with what you say and also think The Darkest Part of the Forest is overall much better. In fact it is my favourite of all her YA Faerie books. When I talk in terms
grittiness I mean for me at the time I read it the first time and these types of books were new to me, but also the setting in New Jersey seemed so bleak, where are in the Darkest Part it seems like a pretty town in the forest.
About what gift to give the kelpie, good question! I'll have to think about it.
I am about to start the last book in her Folk of the Air trilogy, The Queen of Nothing. It doesn't have the greatest reviews. I definitely like her Modern Faerie tale series more than this series.

I just finished this last night. I was reading it at a really fast pace, but then I lost my book about 3 days ago, and I still haven't been able to find it! I did find the bookmark I was using, which is strange. So I ended up checking it out from the library and finishing it that way.

Janet's death really upset me! She reminded me of my eldest sister.

I agree with both of you--I enjoyed this one but not as much as Darkest Part of the Forest. I probably would've enjoyed it even more if I'd read it before I became so family with this kind of literature.

Like, why did they not know to avoid eating and drinking the fae food? Have they never read a fae book!? :)

I think I would've given the Kelpie some waterproof earbuds and some horse audiobooks--Black Beauty, The Black Stallion. Maybe horse movies too. :) A waterproof tablet. This would get expensive but I guess I'd steal the tablet and headphones if I were Kaye!

What do y'all think about the fictional parents Holly writes? They're always very problematic.

I can't say I much liked Roiben as a love interest. I think, again, if I'd read this in 2002 vs 2020 my opinions would be different. But I am super tired of broody, potentially violent but actually sensitive love interests. No. Thanks.

message 6: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Margaret wrote: "What do y'all think about the fictional parents Holly writes? They're always very problematic."

I figure either she's writing from a personal place (aka parent issues LOL) or she's writing to teens who sometimes do have crappy parents. Or the ones who view adults as adversaries. I think the stereotype that drives me craziest is single parents are bad parents and/or parents who are creatives are bad parents.

What really earns my respect is when an author writes teens with issues and they have good parents -- because that does happen in real life. And sometimes teens who have adult support still run into obstacles, hardships, etc. Whether that's in a quest to save fairies or surviving high school.

Margaret wrote: "But I am super tired of broody, potentially violent but actually sensitive love interests. No. Thanks."

Frankly, this is what keeps me wary of YA in general. But it's also really subjective because sometimes I'll get swept away by the "bad boy with a heart of gold" trope, still, as an adult. *shrugs* Probably depends on a lot on mood mixed with the story mixed with the quality of writing.

I love your gift(s) to the kelpie!

Leah wrote: "What really earns my respect is when an author writes teens with issues and they have good parents -- because that does happen in real life. And sometimes teens who have adult support still run into obstacles, hardships, etc. Whether that's in a quest to save fairies or surviving high school.."

Me too! Not many examples of that. Angie Thomas' books immediately spring to mind.

Margaret wrote: " Janet's death really upset me! She reminded me of my eldest sister.

I think I would've given the Kelpie some waterproof earbuds and some horse audiobooks--Black Beauty, The Black Stallion. Maybe horse movies too. :) A waterproof tablet. This would get expensive but I guess I'd steal the tablet and headphones if I were Kaye!

What do y'all think about the fictional parents Holly writes? They're always very problematic.

I can't say I much liked Roiben as a love interest. I think, again, if I'd read this in 2002 vs 2020 my opinions would be different. But I am super tired of broody, potentially violent but actually sensitive love interests. No. Thanks.
"

Janet's death really upset me too! It was very disturbing!

Great idea for presents for the kelpie!

Yeah, Holly Black always seems to have problematic neglectful parents. Kaye's mom is really a piece of work, where as Hazel and her brother's ( can't remember his name in Darkest Part of the Forest) hippy parents are better but also pretty clueless.

I actually liked Roeben but it could be I am influenced by the other books he's in Ironside and the Queen of Nothing. I think in the beginning of Tithe he has had little contact with humans and is also tied to the Unseelie Queen who forces him to do horrible things.

Leah wrote: "
I think the stereotype that drives me craziest is single parents are bad parents and/or parents who are creatives are bad parents.

What really earns my respect is when an author writes teens with issues and they have good parents -- because that does happen in real life. And sometimes teens who have adult support still run into obstacles, hardships, etc. Whether that's in a quest to save fairies or surviving high school. "

I agree with everything you said! Furthermore children can have loving and caring parents and still be bullied, get into trouble have problems etc. And yes more " alternative" type parents don't have to be flaky or airheads!