Creepy Book Club discussion

The Exorcist
This topic is about The Exorcist
The Exorcist (January 2020 Book) > PART 1: The Beginning

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NightmareMaven | 241 comments Mod
Based on the survey I did at the end of 2019, almost all of you prefer book discussions broken up into chunks (rather than one big discussion). So, that's what we'll do moving forward!
Luckily for us, The Exorcist is already broken up into parts, so that's how I'll divide the discussion posts.
Happy reading!

Ok, so I just finished Part 1 and it feels like I'm halfway through the movie (if that makes sense). I also haven't seen the movie in at least a few months, so my recollection might be skewed, but it makes me curious as to how much they had to cut out of the book when adapting it!

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I kind of don't like Chris...I didn't have a problem with her in the movie, but getting to hear her inner dialogue in the book...she's a little irritating? Maybe it's meant to be that way to show how this experience will change her or maybe I'm just being super picky.

Other than that, it's not super scary yet, but I know we're only a quarter of the way through. If the movie is any indication, the best (and the most frightening) is yet to come!

Michelle Fett | 8 comments I agree about Chris. And I wish we would've got a bit more from Mrs. Perrin. I like the psychic aspect and how she knew something was amiss.

Ok, glad it wasn't just me (I thought maybe I was being too nitpicky). And I totally agree, I want to know what MrsPerrin felt was up in the house!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (graveyardagogo) | 6 comments Mod
I also agree about Chris. I'm really not into any of the characters at this point.

Yeah, none of them have grabbed me, either...you'd think it would be the opposite since we get so much inner dialogue in the book. Ah well.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Marie | 22 comments I just finished the first part, and I agree about Chris. I found her and Dennings to be stereotypical Hollywood type characters. I did really like Mrs. Perrin towards the end of the section, and I hope that she has a bigger part in the rest of the book.

The Exorcist is one of the popular horror films I haven’t watched yet, and I’m looking forward to seeing it once I’m done the book to see how they compare.

OMG!!! I can't wait for you to see the movie, Amy!! It'll be a treat to hear what you think about both!

Michelle Fett | 8 comments Amy I'd love to hear what you think of the film! It's one of my absolute favorites!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Marie | 22 comments Yes for sure!!! I just finished the book last night so I’m hoping to watch it tonight!!!

Feather C.  | 6 comments At first I thought I didn’t like Chris, but I think it’s more how the characters are written and the slanginess (is that a word) of how they talk and even think. It seems very stylized and intentional. But as I’ve gone along in the book it’s grown on me. I guess it’s meant to impart that these are intelligent and reasonable people who wouldn’t stand for believingin demonic possession. Except for Mrs. Perrin, who I think for a side character felt really fleshed out and relatable, even though I am neither a medium not catholic.

Megan | 3 comments I'm way behind everyone- just finished the first part today. I haven't watched the film in ages and cannot wait to watch it afterwards to compare.
Have a question -was Mrs Person in the film? I cannot remember her if she was. But I love her! I hope she is in more of the book. I didn't mind Chris - but Dennings ugh!

Shaun Mazerall | 12 comments Megan wrote: "I'm way behind everyone- just finished the first part today. I haven't watched the film in ages and cannot wait to watch it afterwards to compare.
Have a question -was Mrs Person in the film? I can..."

She's in the movie visually but that's about it. I with you on Chris, and Dennings. Dennings is the worst!

message 14: by Christine (last edited Feb 17, 2021 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 3 comments I just found this group and am waiting on my book order for the current books (height of COVID-19 as I type this) so I started with a book I could get immediately. That long intro was to say I hope it's ok to post 5 months late...I don't really dislike Chris! I hate the director character! Is he the one that's drunk all the time?! He better have a purpose. I love it so far. I'm listening to the book on YouTube. It's read by the author which makes it even creepier!