Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > What should I read next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deepak (new)

Deepak (deepakjain5) I am currently reading "Crime and Punishment". Can someone suggest me some books?
Thank you in advance.

message 2: by Vera (new)

Vera West You want classics?

message 3: by Manish (new)

Manish Narayan (im_manish) | 4 comments A woman is no man

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Brackin (stacybrackin) I really enjoyed Finding Dorothy, by Elizabeth Letts. Very insightful on how women were treated in the last part of the 19th century, as well as how actors were treated on movie sets in 1939. We all know who Judy Garland is.. well the things she had to go through to keep her role, unbelievable. I cried in a few parts of the book. Anyway if you are looking for a good read, I re
commend Finding Dorothy.

message 5: by Deepak (new)

Deepak (deepakjain5) In any genre. I just want names. Thank you.

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Frazee | 1 comments I'm currently reading Girl Woman Other by Bernardine Evisto. I highly recommend it. It portrays the experience of black British women and the author won the Booker Prize last year.

message 7: by Orlaith (new)

Orlaith | 1 comments I just finished Nightboat to Tangier by Kevin Barry and I loved it. It is sprightly and full of Irish quips and dark humour. A gorgeous poetic fluid narrative too.

message 8: by Mohd (new)

Mohd Azly | 1 comments I might recommend you “The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down” by Haemin Sunim.

message 9: by Deepak (new)

Deepak (deepakjain5) thank you for your suggestions. i will definitely look into these books.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Engelhardt I thought Fleishman is in Trouble published this past summer was worth reading, but it's no Dostoevsky ;)

message 11: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 87 comments I am currently reading "The end of Eddy" by Edouard Louis. The language just captures you and makes you want to read!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 1 comments Trick Mirror by Jia Tolentino

message 13: by Madison (new)

Madison Clark (bluedeskpress) Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay or Circe by Madeline Miller

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Brackin (stacybrackin) Anything by Kristin Hannah. She is an amazing author.

message 15: by Luise (new)

Luise (luswordjournal) If you search for a Book with a strong female character, I would recommend “The Lady’s Guide To Petticoats and Piracy” it takes place in the 18th century around the world and tells the story about Felicity Montague, whose biggest dream is becoming a doctor. (That was quite a long sentence, I am sorry)

message 16: by Roy (new)

Roy | 4 comments Read "So All Is Peace". It is a literary thriller. Came out only in December 2019. It is a beautifully written exploration of inner life of women in India

message 17: by Myriam (new)

Myriam Mimi (myriammyriam) | 1 comments 'THE NOONday Demon' by andrew solomon , a great book u gonna enjoy it as it talks about psychology
Includes chapters named 'depression, hope, poverty, breakdowns, addiction...' hope u enjoy it :)

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Sophia James (sophia100) | 2 comments I have just read The Cursed Sister . It is a story about a female, who was a child survivor of Belsen, hunting down the SS guards who murdered her family.The Cursed Sister

message 19: by Ema (last edited May 07, 2020 11:06AM) (new)

Ema | 1 comments hi. i read a 'gentlemans guide to vice and virtue' and am looking for more books with the theme lgbt historical fiction. can anyone recommend me some. thanks

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Just a reminder... Self promotion is against our rules and will get your comment deleted. If it's done multiple times it will get you banned from the site

message 21: by Aakash (new)

Aakash Singh (aakashdweep) | 3 comments Ok accepted

message 22: by Ale (new)

Ale N (ale97) | 1 comments Jane Eyre

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah De Coster | 1 comments The Lonely City by Olivia Laing :)

message 24: by Tobin (new)

Tobin Thomas (tobshere) | 2 comments I suggest Seventeen Moments of spring
by Yolian Semyonov. it gives you great reading experience.....

message 25: by Aakash (new)

Aakash Singh (aakashdweep) | 3 comments As per the rules of this site I cannot suggest my own books . But I can suggest you to read Sherlock Holmes stories . I have been great fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

message 26: by Karishma (new)

Karishma | 2 comments "The Water Dancer" by Ta-Nehisi Coates was a great read. I also recently finished "Where the Crawdads Sing" and I normally wouldn't have picked it up but I enjoyed it (warning, there is a lot of marsh description).

message 27: by Abhilash (new)

Abhilash | 1 comments I did read a thriller fiction book by a new Author, titled, The Curse To Ashwathama. It is good and nice read, and takes about 3-4 days if one is on it. Though author should have taken care while getting the book cover designed (gives an impression that it is a mythological book), but actually it is quite nice modern day mystery thriller that matches 1990's bollywood style movies.. Moreover, the book did remind me of the phrase "Don't judge the book by its cover" :) ...

message 28: by Violet (new)

Violet (lucyibaldwinicloudcom) | 8 comments Wow! I think those books look great! I wil be sure to check them out!

message 29: by Barbara (last edited May 17, 2020 06:42AM) (new)

Barbara (barbarainhouston) I just finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. It is a novel, but based on real characters, the Grimke sisters, Sarah and Angelina, who were early abolitionists and feminists. They are less well known than many others but quite amazing. Most of the book is based on their life before this activism, when they lived at home in the southern U.S. in the time of slavery, alternately told from Sarah's viewpoint and from the viewpoint one of the Grimke's slaves. I like that at the end, at least in my copy, Sue Monk Kidd clarifies what elements in the story are based on fact and what are purely fiction.

message 30: by Aakash (new)

Aakash Singh (aakashdweep) | 3 comments Anyone love to read Hindi books.

message 31: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Dean | 1 comments I can recommend you read this book "One Caregiver’s Journey by Eleanor Gaccetta". This book heartfully captures the moments between caregiver and patient, between daughter and mother. It is also an insightful book that digs deeper into caregiving and provides practical suggestions that anyone can use to ensure the safety and wellbeing of their loved one.

You can check the book here: https://www.onecaregiversjourney.com/...

message 32: by Amna (new)

Amna Asad | 1 comments I finished “My name is Red” by Orhan Pamuk not too long ago. A very artistic and philosophical story around Turkish miniature artists of 1951 (Ottoman empire).

message 33: by Marina (new)

Marina (cookie___monster) Are you looking for anything specific?

Mystery YA : When
Mystery Adult: Schoolgirl Missing

Children’s : Hidden Figures

Fantasy YA: The Warrior Heir
Contemporary YA: Girl In Pieces
Overall good book YA: The Astonishing Color of After
Dystopian YA: Renegades

Children’s poetry: Where the Sidewalk Ends
Poetry: Mouthful of Forevers

Comedy: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

All great reads that I really enjoyed!

message 34: by Ashlynne (new)

Ashlynne Wilkerson Lydia wrote: "I can recommend you read this book "One Caregiver’s Journey by Eleanor Gaccetta". This book heartfully captures the moments between caregiver and patient, between daughter and mother. It is also an..."

Lydia wrote: "I can recommend you read this book "One Caregiver’s Journey by Eleanor Gaccetta". This book heartfully captures the moments between caregiver and patient, between daughter and mother. It is also an..."
I can recommend you The Priest’s Graveyard by Ted Dekker. It is a very powerful and stirring story of both the devastating power of law and rules can wreak on our lives, as well as the healing and restoring power of love. It’s also one of the unique love stories that transcends all others.

message 35: by Ashlynne (new)

Ashlynne Wilkerson Saad wrote: "Can anyone recommend me a book to read? I am an author at https://anxiouswiz.com/, I like to explore new things and make new friends. Your help would be appreciated :)"
I have never read the book but it never hurts for a bookworm to learn anything new, bookish or not. Would you enlighten me with what it’s about, and whether it’s got anything sexy I should be aware of? I’d recommend East by Edith Pattou to you. The main heroine’s courage that defies great difficulties will inspire you, hopefully, to face our trying time with the same manner as hers.

message 36: by Evie (new)

Evie | 1 comments Read Tales Of When by n.Dahir its amazing!

message 37: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Wilson | 2 comments Do you love poetry? I can recommend Perfect Flaws by Tim Segrest. He has many amazing books, you can check it here: https://www.timsegrestauthor.com/book...

message 38: by Bhumika (new)

Bhumika (bhumikakatyayan) | 6 comments You can read The stranger by Camus Albert after this.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments if you may can you see about gossip poetry if you do find so poetry like pls tell me thank you

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments ashlynne
if you like gossip then you should try gossip girl p-13 https://books.google.com/books/about/...

just read it and you will maybe fall in love like I did
and i will be the to read your book hope to hear for you soon

message 41: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (shivshri) | 4 comments Can someone please suggest me books about women and social media? like how social media affects gender understanding/roles in our society?

message 42: by Desire (new)

Desire | 2 comments listen before I go by Melissa Grey I just finished it.

message 43: by Kritika (new)

Kritika Sharma (kritikasharma217) | 1 comments the boys in the boat

message 44: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (shivshri) | 4 comments thank you guys!

message 45: by Daphne (new)

Daphne have you read out of my mind

message 46: by Daphne (new)

Daphne hello i am new

message 47: by Liesel/Şevval (new)

Liesel/Şevval | 4 comments Hello I will read Turkish book, it name is Çemberin altında.

message 48: by Daphne (new)

Daphne by the way i stared a group read a go round feel free to join

Juli(◕ᴗ◕✿) (cursebreaker_fireheart) | 1 comments The best feminist novel I know is The Power by Naomi Alderman it's AMAZING

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Juliane wrote: "The best feminist novel I know is The Power by Naomi Alderman it's AMAZING"

Hello Juliane! OSS agrees with you! We read The Power two years ago. Check out the discussions here ---> https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...