Horror Aficionados discussion

Ghostland
This topic is about Ghostland
162 views
Group Reads > December 2019 Group Read #2 GHOSTLAND, by Duncan Ralston

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Our second Group Read for December 2019 is GHOSTLAND, by Duncan Ralston! Please be sure to use spoiler tags and percentages read when necessary.
Happy Reading!!


destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) | 45 comments Ooooh I was planning on starting this one over the next few days, so now I think I'll save it for December and start it on the 1st! Yay!!


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
I'll be reading this one, since I've already read the first choice. :)


Marie | 2459 comments I am starting this December 1st as well! Been really wanting to read this one! :)


Latasha (latasha513) | 8595 comments Mod
I’m going to try to get this one in but I can’t make any promises.


message 6: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Hey folks! Thanks for picking Ghostland for one of your Group Reads next month - I truly appreciate your interest. I've been a member of Horror Afficionados for several years, and frankly it's one of the best thing about Goodreads. Not just saying that to suck up. I really used to hate Goodreads until I came across this group!

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I'll be popping by here and there during the month if you have any questions about the book or anything else, really.

That said, don't feel you need to censor yourself if you're frustrated by or dislike something within the book. I'm very good with taking criticism. Not quite a masochist, but I do appreciate any comments and critique - even if you hate it! :D

One more thing before I skip out the door for a bit: there's a PREQUEL to Ghostland that I give away free for joining my website. It's not necessary to appreciate the novel (and is a bit different in style/tone), but I think it's a fun addition. Since you've been so kind as to choose my book for your group read, I'll pass along the HA-only FREEBIE LINK with no subscribing necessary. Hope you enjoy, and thank you again for your votes!

https://dl.bookfunnel.com/k6q1rmr5gu


message 7: by WendyB (new) - added it

WendyB  | 1913 comments Mod
Duncan, thank you so much for your nice comments about HA. I know we all appreciate it.
And thank you for being willing to answer questions about your book. Our members always have great questions and comments.


Marie | 2459 comments Cool! Thank you Duncan! That is awesome! :)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Thank you, Duncan! I think interacting with the authors is one of the best things when reading a book. :)


message 10: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments My pleasure! I participated in one of the Author Invites a few years back, it was a great experience. Looking forward to your questions, thoughts and comments!


Latasha (latasha513) | 8595 comments Mod
wow! thank you so much Duncan! that is so awesome of you!


message 12: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Latasha wrote: "wow! thank you so much Duncan! that is so awesome of you!"

Thanks for letting me hang out, Latasha!


message 13: by Bryan (new) - added it

Bryan Meadows (bambam13) | 5 comments Sweet!

I’m excited to read this and just bought it on my Kindle last week to read whether or not it was one of the months choices.
That’s pretty amazing that the author also sent a link to get a free copy! Makes me want to read it even more now just because, even though I paid for mine.

Thanks Duncan!

Happy Haunting everyone!


Latasha (latasha513) | 8595 comments Mod
Duncan wrote: "Latasha wrote: "wow! thank you so much Duncan! that is so awesome of you!"

Thanks for letting me hang out, Latasha!"


anytime!


destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) | 45 comments Thank you Duncan, you're awesome!


message 16: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Thanks, folks! Looking forward to your thoughts, comments and questions!


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Finishing one now and should be starting this tomorrow or Monday!!


message 18: by S.J. (new) - added it

S.J. Budd | 22 comments I'm starting this tomorrow!!!!


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Started last night--hooked me immediately!


Marie | 2459 comments Starting this tonight! I wasn't able to get to it when I wanted to, so it got pushed back. I finished reading the prequel Moving House, so I will be "moving" right along into Ghostland! lol :)


message 22: by S.J. (new) - added it

S.J. Budd | 22 comments I'm a few chapters in so far. Lil and Co have just arrived at the theme park. Trouble's already brewing!


Marie | 2459 comments What a grabber this book is as it has been keeping me up at nights as I am not wanting to put it down! :)


Marie | 2459 comments Duncan I have a question.

How did you come up with the idea of writing about a haunted theme park?


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
I am @ 23% and LOVING where this is going!!


Marie | 2459 comments Kimberly wrote: "I am @ 23% and LOVING where this is going!!"

I am loving this one too, Kimberly! I am almost on sleepless nights here with this book! lol :)


message 27: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Thanks, Marie and Kimberly!

I really love theme parks and there have been a lot of haunted theme park books but never a theme park where the haunting is the feature of the park. I also love Halloween haunts. So it was kind of a no-brainer for me. Glad you're enjoying it so far!


Amanda Starling | 7 comments I’m reading this one this month. I like it so far!!


message 29: by Manupii (new)

Manupii | 3 comments Thank you very much, Duncan!


message 30: by Atl (new) - added it

Atl (dark_leo) | 229 comments I’m jumping on the bandwagon, it was on kindle unlimited :)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Loving it, still!


Cailyn Lloyd | 4 comments Just started this and then saw the thread. So far, so good.


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Cailyn wrote: "Just started this and then saw the thread. So far, so good."

No spoilers! You're good. I can't wait to get the kids to sleep and pick it up again!!


message 34: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Hey, folks! Thanks again for choosing GHOSTLAND to read for December! I've got a ton of free audiobook codes available for my other books on Audible. Have a look, see if anything appeals to you.

https://freeaudiobookcodes.com/books_...


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Duncan wrote: "Hey, folks! Thanks again for choosing GHOSTLAND to read for December! I've got a ton of free audiobook codes available for my other books on Audible. Have a look, see if anything appeals to you.

h..."


Thank you, Duncan!


message 36: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Welcome, Kimberly!


Latasha (latasha513) | 8595 comments Mod
starting this one tonight!


Marie | 2459 comments Been wading through some extreme stuff at near 75%! :)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
I finished this last night! Fantastic idea and execution! I loved the addition of the "footnotes" so I could learn about each individual exhibition as I was reading along, instead of all at the end.

I think there is a lot of room for more with this "theme", and hope to see that in the future!


Latasha (latasha513) | 8595 comments Mod
I’m loving the foot notes too. I when I was in Key West, I took a ghost tour. They told the group about Robert the Doll. He’s there on the island but I’m superstitious and did not go see him.


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Latasha wrote: "I’m loving the foot notes too. I when I was in Key West, I took a ghost tour. They told the group about Robert the Doll. He’s there on the island but I’m superstitious and did not go see him."

I've read books on the "haunted dolls"--some of those are creepier than any fiction I've ever read!


Marie | 2459 comments I finished the book last night and "Wow" what a romp!

Do Not Read This Spoiler Unless You Have Finished The Book!

(view spoiler)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Finished! Hope to have a written review featured by monday!! (If I can get my wrapping done here!! LOL!)

LOVED this concept, Duncan--and the notes worked really well for me!


message 44: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Kimberly wrote: "Finished! Hope to have a written review featured by monday!! (If I can get my wrapping done here!! LOL!)

LOVED this concept, Duncan--and the notes worked really well for me!"


Thank you, Kimberly! Glad you enjoyed it. And the footnotes. Did you take a peek at the website, by any chance? :D


message 45: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Marie wrote: "I finished the book last night and "Wow" what a romp!

Do Not Read This Spoiler Unless You Have Finished The Book!

[spoilers removed]"


Thanks for the terrific review, Mary! Much appreciated!


Marie | 2459 comments Duncan wrote: "Marie wrote: "I finished the book last night and "Wow" what a romp!

Do Not Read This Spoiler Unless You Have Finished The Book!

[spoilers removed]"

Thanks for the terrific review, Mary! Much ap..."


You are welcome, Duncan! By the way, who is Mary?! LOL :-)


Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 4806 comments Mod
Duncan wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Finished! Hope to have a written review featured by monday!! (If I can get my wrapping done here!! LOL!)

LOVED this concept, Duncan--and the notes worked really well for me!"

Th..."


Yes! I didn't read all of it (that must have taken longer to put together than the novel!), but I read all of the Blog, and the "Know your Ghosts", as well as a few other features. :D


message 48: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Marie wrote: "Duncan wrote: "Marie wrote: "I finished the book last night and "Wow" what a romp!

Do Not Read This Spoiler Unless You Have Finished The Book!

[spoilers removed]"

Thanks for the terrific review..."


Lol Mary is your alter ego. That's why we never see the two of you in the chat group at the same time.


message 49: by Duncan (new) - added it

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Kimberly wrote: "Duncan wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Finished! Hope to have a written review featured by monday!! (If I can get my wrapping done here!! LOL!)

LOVED this concept, Duncan--and the notes worked really we..."


The website took a solid month. Was fun to do but other than the "blog" and "The Moving House" I didn't get any other writing done, and I was nearing the end of another novel.


Amanda Starling | 7 comments Just finished this book! It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it!


« previous 1
back to top