Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > Poll #1 - Challenge Jan-March 2015

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
An experiment folks. At the bottom of the page you will find a poll - a range of authors we've been talking about over the last couple of weeks. I have concentrated on contemporary authors for this poll. You can only vote once so choose the one you most want to read - or add an author who is missing. The list will vary randomly (I think!) and results will remain hidden until, with my moderator superpowers, I reveal them the week before Xmas. The challenge will be to read a book from each of the top 3 authors we vote for.

message 2: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 173 comments Can't see the poll anywhere.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Ley wrote: "Can't see the poll anywhere."

Scroll to the bottom of the page, just above the photos. let me know if it is not there - though i can see it so it should be.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "Can't see the poll anywhere."

Scroll to the bottom of the page, just above the photos. let me know if it is not there - though i can see it so it should be."

OK everyone - a technical hitch. Feedback from several of you shows that you can't see the poll through the Goodreads app - in fact the app has a number of limitations. you need to go through the web - just search devon book club and you'll find it, scroll to the bottom of the screen and you'll see the poll.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ickle_ellen) | 111 comments I couldn't find it either- but found it eventually by clicking on "Polls" on the top right-hand side of this page on the website under Devon Book Club.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Ellen wrote: "I couldn't find it either- but found it eventually by clicking on "Polls" on the top right-hand side of this page on the website under Devon Book Club."

Thanks for the tip Ellen. Clearly an issue for those using the App. It has less functionality than going through the web.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
A reminder to vote on the poll to set one of our 2015 reading challenges

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "A reminder to vote on the poll to set one of our 2015 reading challenges"

Only 13 votes cast so far. You have til 21st December but please vote as this will determine one of our reading challenges for 2015. To vote - either click on polls at the top of the page or scroll to the bottom and select the author of your choice

message 9: by Ian (last edited Dec 09, 2014 09:32AM) (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
OK - so here is an update on the results so far

Topping the poll at present:
Haruki Murakami and David Mitchell, closely followed by Patrick Gale, Margaret Fosrster, Helen Dunmore and Ian McEwan

Voted for your favourite yet? - if not do so now by going to the poll at the bottom of the page. This will shape the outcome of one of our first reading challenges

message 10: by DrMama (last edited Dec 09, 2014 09:42AM) (new)

DrMama | 332 comments Ian wrote: "OK - so here is an update on the results so far

Topping the poll at present:
Haruki Murakami and David Mitchell, closely followed by Patrick Gale, Margaret Fosrster, Helen Dunmore and Ian McEwan

..."

I'm confused, I'm not seeing any photos, and if I go to 'polls' I get told to click for photos ... (I think, tried several alternatives with no success) ... but nothing happens. I have found a list of names, but think I've also read, 'not' to click on the names.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
are you on the App or on the web?

message 12: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 332 comments On the web.

message 13: by Ian (last edited Dec 09, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "On the web."

Shouldn't be a problem then
Two ways to find it
a) Click on polls on the menu at top right of the page
b) scroll down towards the bottom of the page

In either case you should see the list and you just either click on the photogrsph to register your vote or, if your favourite author isn't listed, write them in underneath the photo bars

message 14: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 332 comments Okay!

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "Okay!"

great

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Not sure if I voted on the right poll. I thought there were only 3 authors.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Not sure if I voted on the right poll. I thought there were only 3 authors."

There is only 1 poll. I put 10 authors on it but some others have been added by members. You can only vote for 1 author; I then announce the 3 most popular. If you don't see the author you want you can add a name manually and that gets added to the list.

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
The Poll closed last night and I can tell you was a close run thing. Votes were spread across the authors but the top 3 authors you voted for are:

1. Haruki Murakami - won by a neck
2. David Mitchell - equal second
2. Margaret Forster - equal second

See Reading Challenge #1 for further instruction on the challenge