UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Red banner on Goodreads suggesting browser upgrade

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1703 comments I am occasionally getting a red banner at the top of some pages on Goodreads saying something like I need to upgrade my browser in order to access Goodreads from 30.10.14. This has been happening for about a week. There's a 'contact us' link.

I have the latest IE 11 browser and I am still, as you can see, accessing Goodreads.

Is anyone else seeing this banner? I'm reluctant to follow the link as it appears haphazardly. Am I being over cautious?

message 2: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments It's not appeared for me, Anna. I wouldn't follow a link to anything that raises your suspicions.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I'm not seeing it either. Sounds a bit fishy.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I don't have the patience to use IE.

message 5: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Ignore anything unsolicited that says it knows more about your software than you do. It will be either trying to sell you something or worse, installing unwanted add-ons or trojans while you're reading the ad. If IE stops working properly, install Chrome. It's fast, I've found it 100% reliable, and what's more, it's not Microsoft.

message 6: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I use chrome too, much better.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9082 comments I wouldn't touch IE with a long smelly stick. So now it's google that knows everything about me, rather than microsoft.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21876 comments I ended up switching to Chrome because IE just got tooooo slooooooooow

message 9: by Anna (last edited Nov 08, 2014 01:02PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1703 comments Thanks everyone. The banner is in the Goodreads style and so I thought it ought to be safe but... hmm... something wasn't quite right as I could not possibly update - I've (for once) got the latest. Besides, nothing has stopped working.

I had Google on my old pc but it kept clashing with my Norton. So for my laptop I've ditched them both!

I.E's search engine is nowhere near as good as Google though so I always use that.

Thank you once again. It's set my mind at rest.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2014 05:34AM) (new)

Anna wrote: "I am occasionally getting a red banner at the top of some pages on Goodreads saying something like I need to upgrade my browser in order to access Goodreads from 30.10.14. This has been happening f..."

I have this too.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1703 comments Thanks, B.D. Did you discover what it was all about?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna wrote: "Thanks, B.D. Did you discover what it was all about?"

I have no idea. Although I have two laptops and a computer in the house, all use the same browsers, yet it only comes up on one. I'm afraid I'm just sticking my head in the sand and ignoring it at the moment, but I'll be interested to know what works. I might do a virus check or something on it, just in case.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1703 comments I'm cautious because I used to get a message on my yahoo account saying that it was full up and to go to this link (!) for more space to be allocated.

I ignored that and I've not run out of space and the message has stopped appearing.

What you said, B.D. about it only appearing on one of your three computers is v.v. interesting - and a bit of a giveaway. I just don't expect yahoo and Goodreads to have these problems.