UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Word splice is the term I use for when spoken words blend into each other and end up sounding completely different to what was intended.

Hopefully it's not only my family that picks up on them and finds them funny, and there'll be more posted here.

This is my offering:

Last night, while eating, my wife stated that she was going to have a nice long soak in the bath, and that she was going to use semen rolls. Naturally the daughters and I looked at one another and cracked up.

She'd actually said: Sea Minerals!

Guess what phrase has stuck? :~)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments A teacher in my college had a very strong accent, which led to many amusing occurrences of this.

"No, you can't" sounded very much like an insult...

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Mint spies. ;)

message 4: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Good ones.

message 5: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Mustafa Cuppa

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments You for coffee?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments There is an Isle of Ewe in Scotland somewhere. In Loch Ewe.

message 8: by Lynne (Tigger's Mum) (last edited Nov 08, 2014 01:36AM) (new)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I made some undrinkable rice wine which was actually 'for cooking'. At least that was what I thought he said as he spit it out. Its now the official classification of inferior plonk for us

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments A friend told me a story about a foreign holiday where the surly waiter would ask "you for coffee?" every breakfast time.

The problem was that he said it so quickly that all the words merged together. The first time he said it they thought he was telling them to go away.

message 10: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments There is a Radio 4 programme called Cross Incontinents.

For some reason in the listings it is known as Crossing Continents.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments David wrote: "There is a Radio 4 programme called Cross Incontinents.

For some reason in the listings it is known as Crossing Continents."

I know a few of them!

message 12: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "David wrote: "There is a Radio 4 programme called Cross Incontinents.

For some reason in the listings it is known as Crossing Continents."

I know a few of them!"

Well, it is easy to see how one could lead to the other.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments There's always Kodály's "Buttocks-Pressing Song

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments That is when a coach party arrives at the motorway services just before us.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments My reply was to Cross incontinents but somehow Jims remark sneaking in unseen has some relevance too.

message 16: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "My reply was to Cross incontinents but somehow Jims remark sneaking in unseen has some relevance too."

Quite spooky. Maybe Jim used some form of telepathy.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments My sister met her daughter's teacher at parents' evening. Miss Trunt was actually Mr. Hunt.

message 18: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Ah, reminds me of Radioactive's Mike Hunt.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I laugh when Mike Catt plays rugby.