Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Audiobooks while running/exercising?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Running is one of my hobbies, and I usually run in the evenings with loud music pulsing in my ears. I've read some interesting stuff lately about listening to audiobooks while exercising or running. I'm going to give it a shot, but not sure how I would keep going without music.

Anyone out there doing this? Am I crazy? What are your thoughts on it?

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3234 comments A couple friends of mine recently told me that they do that as well. I have not tried it, but I have considered it. I know the friends I have that listen to audiobooks while running / exercising say they love it because they focus on the story and not what their body feels like.

message 3: by Brittney (new)

Brittney (britsbooknook) | 813 comments I have listened to an audiobook while walking and although it's different from running, I found that I got so engorsed in the story that I didn't have to force the motion. I hope that makes sense. Good luck on your endeavors.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Well I have walked, not ran, with audio and I love it.

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3234 comments Ah, yes! I do listen while walking and enjoy it, but somehow didn't think of that as the same thing. lol

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I guess if I crank up the volume loud enough the narrator will drown out the sound of me desperately gasping for air.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I don't run but I loosen to audiobooks while walking, driving to work and doing house work.

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3234 comments Justin wrote: "I guess if I crank up the volume loud enough the narrator will drown out the sound of me desperately gasping for air."

lol At least you're running! I can make it about 3 mins tops.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) 5 was my max, but I'm much more comfortable at 2 - 3. Harry Potter BR kicks off on Monday. Maybe Jim Dale and I will hit the streets together.

message 10: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3234 comments Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it goes.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I listen to audiobooks while walking the dog. He gets lots of exercise because I want to listen to one more chapter :0)

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic While running, I often think of things that have absolutely nothing to do with the exercise itself. I become distracted and have, more than once, stepped into a hole or stumbled off a curb. If I started to listen to audio books while running, it would only be a matter of time until I would jog right in front of a moving bus; then I would never find out how the story ends.

message 13: by pretty_vacant (new)

pretty_vacant As a person who doesn't listen to audiobooks because I enjoy written word much more (talking about books), but it's also due to lack of concentration. I couldn't. I listen to music while excercising, it helps me enjoy it more and be more pumped, motivated :)