Audiobooks discussion

Archives > following/not following posts of interest

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by binter (new)

binter | 216 comments Not sure if this belongs here so pls feel free to educate me if it should elsewhere.

I currently get notifications for all posts within this group. There are a few that I would just as soon not see because they just don't apply to my interests, namely posts within the Promotions, Challenges, Contests sections. Is there a way to select all except posts within those areas?

If the only way is to manually add each post to follow, I'll keep things the way they are. It's no hardship to see a few extra posts. Just wondered if there might be a way that I didn't know about.

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments I have notifications turned off. When I go to the group home page, I click on the link on the Discussion header that says "unread". There are several places that you can access the unread folder. On this page (or from any thread), you'll find "unread topics" on the right, underneath the search discussion posts.

Once I've read the threads I'm interested, I click on the link at the bottom of the unread folder that says, "mark all read". That way, I'm not getting copious notifications to wade through.

message 3: by binter (new)

binter | 216 comments Hi Janice, thanks for the reply. I don't think looking at the unread will get me where I want to go (unless I have misunderstood).
Seems like I will still have the same problem, looking at the unread for boards I am not interested in (Promos/Challenges/Contests). Plus, I still want to see the notifications for the other threads/boards.

It seems like there should be a way to indicate that I want to see all threads for the "General" board but none for the next board down, the "2014 TBR Challenge". Is my choice really either ALL threads in the group from every board or else I have to mark each discussion one at a time? Surely there is a way to chose my preferred discussion boards.

Does anyone have any ideas?

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments binter wrote: "Not sure if this belongs here so pls feel free to educate me if it should elsewhere.

I currently get notifications for all posts within this group. There are a few that I would just as soon not s..."

I think that the only way to not get specific notifications is to sign up (or not) for each thread separately which I think you said you would rather not bother with.

It would be nice to "deselect" a few rather than having to select many though!

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments I don't think you can follow just a few threads within a group. If you can- I don't see where that is an option.

What I generally do, is for the groups where there are a TON of responses daily- I will choose to get a daily or weekly digest. For the groups that I can keep up with- I choose notification only. That way it only pops up here on Goodreads, and I can choose what I want to look at.

message 6: by Dee (last edited Nov 10, 2014 11:28AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1542 comments here's how I do it

go to edit profile (upper right hand corner)
click on emails (in the headers that show)
scroll to the bottom of the page
you will see a list of all your groups - if you don't want notifications from any select NONE - this will automatically set it up so you don't get notifications on threads - you can then opt to receive updates, by clicking the track thread at the bottom of each one (after you comment)

also make sure you deselect the box that says "When I leave comments on other items, follow discussions by default." - otherwise you will automatically start following any thread you comment on

message 7: by binter (new)

binter | 216 comments Just wanted to follow-up on this and to thank you for the various suggestions.

It looks like I'm not able to set it up the way I wanted. I can either follow threads individually or follow the entire group but can't follow specific boards within a group. It was useful to read how others navigate their GRs threads.

Fortunately, it's not really a big deal. I'll just see a few more notifications than I wanted. Maybe the ability to follow specific boards is something GR will add in the future.

Thanks again for the ideas.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1542 comments specific boards or threads? i'm confused by what you mean by boards

message 9: by binter (last edited Nov 12, 2014 06:17AM) (new)

binter | 216 comments I might not be using the right terms. Brace yourself - I'm feeling wordy.

You see how the Audiobooks Group has a Discussion Board with approx 10 sections: General, 2014 TBR Challenge, Promotions, Ask Audible, etc. Then, under each of these section, we members create Topics or Discussions (GR calls them both, I normally call them threads) plus whatever comments. So, it goes Discussion Board > sections > Topics/Discussions > Comments.

I wanted a way to see notifications for all the new comments for Topics/Discussions under some sections (General, Ask Audible) but not others (Promotions, Challenges, Contests). So when John creates the new Discussion/Topic for December 2014, I want to see a notification when someone adds a new comment. But in order to have that convenience, I also see a notification when someone adds a comment to a Discussion/Topic under the Promos section as well.

Fortunately, it's no great hardship and I will probably become interested in those other sections eventually. Sorry this is so wordy and probably far far more than you actually wanted to know.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1542 comments got it - I think, if you look how I explained it - you would have to deselect all following options and then slowly re-enable by commenting on threads

I do agree, I'd love to see less promotions etc, but I typically just ignore those threads and have my notifications turned off, so I only get them for threads that I specifically track