Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Getting Readers to review

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric J. (new)

Eric J. Gates (ericjgates) | 21 comments Many readers are not comfortable with writing reviews on the books they've read.

This superb article by a top reviewer will show them how to do a great job and share their comments with other potential readers and the book's author. Tell them about it and you may get more reviews.

Don't miss it!

http://bit.ly/1E60Bl5

message 2: by Doseofbella (last edited Nov 06, 2014 05:16AM) (new)

Doseofbella (goodreadscomdoseofbella) | 5 comments A great article. I am still developing how I review books. I would like to think I am getting better at stream lining my thoughts. I try to never put a spoiler in the review, and to address potential readers as a friend.
I have read so many great books in the last few months and I try to express how great they are, but it falls short compared to the story. Bravo authors!!!!
I will continue to improve with my reviews. I truely enjoy reading, and I think it's a wonderful opportunity to share your thoughts, and post them for any readers and authors who find them a useful resource.
Thanks so very much for posting this article. Have a blessed day.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Romer | 15 comments Eric wrote: "Many readers are not comfortable with writing reviews on the books they've read.

This superb article by a top reviewer will show them how to do a great job and share their comments with other pot..."

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Romer | 15 comments Thank you Eric, this article from Jonel was very helpful to me because i am new to reviewing.

message 5: by CeeCee (new)

CeeCee James It's definitely not easy to review a book. That is, it feels easy until you're staring at that little blank Amazon box trying to think of something impressive.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Jane (chrisjane) | 22 comments It might help to remember that you can shape your review any way you want to, any way that makes it easier for you to write. I probably would feel more comfortable using bullet points, because it would remove the expectation of flowing, writerly paragraphs. I'd be allowed to simplify:

Plot:
Characters:
Level of engagement:
(etc.)

All that matters is that the review is honest and helpful.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 210 comments Chris wrote: "It might help to remember that you can shape your review any way you want to, any way that makes it easier for you to write. I probably would feel more comfortable using bullet points, because it w..."

Chris,

Your suggestion has merit and would address a lot of what is wrong with so many reviews. Bullet points, stressing specific areas to be evaluated, would certainly help the reviewer to remain focused upon the purpose for reviewing a book in the first place.

Too many reviews are more emotional rant, based upon personal prejudice and/or agenda, than an actual critique of the book's merits. A proper review focuses upon the author's technical writing and narration skills, along with the originality and etertainment value of the story itself.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 38 comments I'm not sure how many of you have checked out Jonel's review blog, but I'm a regular follower of hers because I love reading her well-written reviews. http://purejonel.blogspot.ca

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (the_librocubicultarist) I just started doing reviews, even opened a blog. I'm still learning (thanks for that article btw).
Like the article says I try to give my impression on the book, with no spoilers and no synopsis.
There's always emotion involved in a review but I try to keep it "professional". Like with Allegiant, I hated that end because c'mon! but that doesn't make it a bad book. I gave it 5 stars, loved the writing, loved the story, hated the end, but overall that's one of the books I couldn't put down until I finished it. I wasn't into reviews back then but I'd written just good things about it.

message 10: by William (new)

William Stuart (thegemstonechronicles) | 16 comments I write my reviews in Word and then I can easily copy and paste to the different sites on which I post my reviews. I try to look at the works as a reader, not as an author and list what I like, dislike, and my overall impression of the book.

message 11: by Jim (last edited Nov 25, 2014 11:04AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 210 comments It is important to remember that no one is obligated to review anything they have read. The vast majority of readers choose not to rate or review. That is their prerogative.

Those who choose to post reviews do so for other readers, not authors. Some consider it unprofessional and inappropriate for an author to solicit, purchase, and/or trade reviews. Write something worth reading and it will eventually be read. A few who read it may post a rating or review; many will not.

Don't fret over a lack of reviews or even the occasional negative review, which is after all just an opinion. According to polls commissioned by literary periodicals and newspapers throughout the years, most readers pay little or no attention to reviews. They seldom, if ever, significantly impact sales.

Personally, I like to review the books I've read, but that's my choice. It's not for everyone.

message 12: by Chris (last edited Nov 25, 2014 11:38AM) (new)

Chris Jane (chrisjane) | 22 comments Jim wrote: "It is important to remember that no one is obligated to review anything they have read. The vast majority of readers choose not to rate or review. That is their prerogative.

Those who choose to po..."

Valuable reminder. This is easy to forget, sometimes, but true. Thanks.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (unchangeling) | 39 comments I try to think of it as a service for someone else, not something I do for me, meaning it's not about saying how I reacted to the story, but about how someone who enjoys stories like me might enjoy a certain book or not.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Stemler (samstemler) | 1 comments This is helpful, to be honest I don't do much reviewing and I haven't really thought that much about it until now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how an author might encourage or get more of such constructive reviews ?

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 210 comments I do not and never have solicited, traded, or purchased reviews and never will. If anyone would like to read my book, they must purchase a copy or borrow one from the local library, if they have it. No free copies of any of the formats are ever provided by me for any reason. Whether or not a reader chooses to review a book is their prerogative.

Readers review a book to share their opinion of it for the benefit of other readers, not authors. Whether or not an author chooses to read reviews of their book is their prerogative. I rarely do.

A book's commercial success is not measured by the number or types of reviews it receives. The number of books actually sold is the only true measurement. Since they are subjective, reviews - positive, negative, or indifferent - have a minuscule impact upon sales.

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments I was just on a site where there are sections and topics to which are specifically for requesting reviews. I put my information down in hopes of potential reviewers and it was fairly easy but if no one reaches out then it's no big deal but it's about getting that info out so people have the opportunity.

message 17: by Aly (last edited Jan 12, 2015 04:49PM) (new)

Aly | 13 comments When I review a book, I try to write part of the review as I read in a word document and save it to my desktop on my computer. So as I read more into the book I bring up the word doc and add things to it. I think this makes for a better review. I don't have to remember if I add on as I go along. Also then you can copy and paste what you wrote for your review into Amazon and GR and anywhere else you want. What do you guys think of this idea? So far, this has worked for me.

message 18: by Cam (new)

Cam (inkdrops) | 1 comments Hi, I've really enjoyed seeing all of your comments about reviewing books. I started reviewing books quite recently on my blog (I usually review television shows and movies) www.inkdropsreviews.wordpress.com and they are definitely quite complex. There is always so much that I want to say and it's difficult to strike a balance between a reviewing and retelling the story - you don't want to give too much away. However, I definitely agree that it is easier if you break it up into plot and characters, and then how they made you feel e.g. did you find them exciting, boring, was the story too slow, did you feel like you had heard it all before? Sometimes I find it difficult to separate these things though, because characters can make a storyline more or less interesting.

message 19: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainemarymadeline) | 43 comments Hi, I'm Elaine and I love to read and review books. On the personal side, it's a way for me to remember the books I've read.
I truly admire authors who have a good writing style with a well developed plot and great characters. These aee the first basic things I look for. Then I like to remark about a particular, perhaps regarding the usage of Language for the time period in which the book was written, and I especially look into the way the dialogues are written. My favorites are those with a dash of humor in them! I realize, being an author myself (and a rather new one!) that a great deal of work goes into writing a book, and so I review keeping this in mind. If I don't particularly care for a book and there is nothing nice I can say about it, I prefer not to review it.

message 20: by J.D.R. (new)

J.D.R. Hawkins (jdrhawkins) | 73 comments Hi Elaine,
If you would like to review my book, I would be happy to send you a PDF. It's titled A Beautiful Glittering Lie, and it is a historical fiction about the Civil War. It's a quick read, and the novel has won a few honors and awards. Please get back to me if you're interested.
jdrhawkins@gmail.com
Thank you!
Julie Hawkins

message 21: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 14 comments Elaine, I will throw my hat in also. Julie's book sounds a bit like mine in that it is historical fiction about the CW. Let me know if it is your cup to tea. It is called The Doctor's Daughter: Journey to Justice.

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainemarymadeline) | 43 comments Hi Julie,
Your book A Beautiful Glittering Lie sounds like a great read...I like Historical fiction. Please send me you PDF copy elainemaryb@yahoo,it and I will gladly read and review it.
Ciao, Elaine

message 23: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainemarymadeline) | 43 comments Hi Belle,
Your Civil War book the Doctor's Daughter is my "cup of tea" Kindly send me a PDF coopy to review. Look me up on Goodreads to see my books too.
Also my Facebook page, Elaine Bertolotti Author...
Ciao, Elaine

message 24: by J.D.R. (new)

J.D.R. Hawkins (jdrhawkins) | 73 comments Elaine wrote: "Hi Julie,
Your book A Beautiful Glittering Lie sounds like a great read...I like Historical fiction. Please send me you PDF copy elainemaryb@yahoo,it and I will gladly read and review it.
..."

Hi Elaine,
I tried sending but it didn't go through. Is the email address correct, or do you have another one I can use?

message 25: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainemarymadeline) | 43 comments Hi Julie,
here it is again...
elainemaryb@yahoo.it I just saw I had written it above with a ,it
Will keep a lookout for it...
Ciao, Elaine
If you still have a problem just let me know....