Why Can't I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease
Dr. Horowitz's Wisdom > Chapter 16: Discussion and Summary

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Guglielmo | 50 comments Mod
Chapter 16: Lyme and Gastrointestinal Health

Discussion Questions:

1. Have you done a CDSA test? If not, would you consider it after reading this chapter?

2. Do you have unexplained GI symptoms?

3. What steps do you take to increase the healthy balance in your gastrointestinal tract?

Summary:

• GI disorders are very common among the U.S. population. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), gastric and peptic ulcerl disease, inflammatory bowel disease, and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis).

• Despite modern medical advances for the disease just listed, many do not find complete relief from their symptoms.

• Lyme-MSIDS patients often present with abdominal pain, nausea, gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, or reflux disease, with occasional vomiting.

• 5% - 23% of those with early Lyme Borreliosis presented with varied gastrointestinal symptoms.

• Co-infections can also cause GI sympoms, specifically; Borrelia hermsii, Ehrlichiosis, Rickettsial disease (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Q fever), and Tularemia.

• GI track houses 80% of our immune system and 70% of our lymphocytes making it the first line of defense against infections.

• Most of the body’s serotonin is found in the gut.

• Microbiome- the gut can hold up to 100 million microbes. There are 10x more microbial cells than mammalian cells in the body. From a cellular perspective our bodies are only 10% human.

• It is not common practice to instruct patients to take probiotics and beneficial yeast when taking antibiotics. A New York Times report from 2000 to 2009 showed the number of Clostridium difficile cases, which has tremendous impact on morbidity and length of hospital stays, more than doubled from 139,000 to 336,600.

• Dysbiosis is the imbalance of healthy bacteria, yeast, and parasites in the gut. Mainstream medicine is slowly recognizing the connection between these imbalances and disease.

• Gut flora directly impacts the production of inflammatory cytokines, effecting weight, sleep and inflammation. Bacteria in our gut are now thought to be associated with Crohn’s, ulcerative colitis, and asthma… certain bacteria have been found to stimulate chronic low-grade inflammation and integral part of these diseases.

• Down-regulation of cytokines is one of the treatments for Crohn’s disease.

• Gastrointestinal bacteria can also secrete neurotoxins. The most common is ammonia often found to be elevated in cirrhosis. The take-away is that GI imbalances may be adding to the symptom load of MSIDS-Lyme patients and need to be part of evaluation and treatment.

• Maintaining Normal Gut Microflora is vital. We can increase the healthy bacteria by taking probiotics, prebiotics and by consuming fermented foods. There are 4 major mechanisms for keeping proper balance of good bacteria; gastric acid secretion; pancreatic enzyme secretion, small intestinal motility, and maintaining the proper structural integrity of the GI tract.

• SIBO is an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine. Yet another of the long laundry list of things MISDS-Lyme patients need to check when treatment is not working. Many patients with SIBO test positive for food intolerances. Treatment includes Xifaxan abx and is also sometimes followed by a low-dose antibiotic, along with diet changes.

• One great way to evaluate gastrointestinal health is by doing a comprehensive digestive stool analysis (CDSA). It tests for bacteria, yeast, parasites, inflammation, fecal sIgA and antigliadin sIgA, intestinal pH, and essential markers of digestion and absorption.

message 2: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (vicki46) | 52 comments I have done a CDSA test and it turned out I had a parasite. I take berberine for it. Yeah, for my gut I eat mostly AIP, take a ton of probiotics as well as glutamine. My gut is still not happy though.

Yessi Young (yessington) | 1 comments I've read this book a couple times, so I do enjoy the content. However, Dr. Horowitz is very black and white. He does not let his readers know that there is evidence for and against his claims, which can leave people worse off if they stick to his protocols for too long. Probiotics and fermented foods can restore some friendly bacteria in our microbiomes, but antibiotics can wipe out a life-time of accumulated friendly bacteria that takes more than kimchi to restore. He really could have been more straight up about this topic, as I am sure he had many patients with antibiotic-annihilated guts.