Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Memoirs of a Geisha
This topic is about Memoirs of a Geisha
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Golden, Arthur- Memoirs of a Geisha; Informal Buddy Read: Starts Feburary 5, 2015

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

Book Synopsis:
Speaking to us with the wisdom of age and in a voice at once haunting and startlingly immediate, Nitta Sayuri tells the story of her life as a geisha. It begins in a poor fishing village in 1929, when, as a nine-year-old girl with unusual blue-gray eyes, she is taken from her home and sold into slavery to a renowned geisha house. We witness her transformation as she learns the rigorous arts of the geisha: dance and music; wearing kimono, elaborate makeup, and hair; pouring sake to reveal just a touch of inner wrist; competing with a jealous rival for men's solicitude and the money that goes with it.

In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction—at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful—and completely unforgettable.

Expect spoilers!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

message 4: by Shinjini (new) - added it

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Been meaning to read this for so long! Thank you mods! :)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Marking this one as a maybe for me....

message 6: by Damini (new) - added it

Damini | 63 comments I'm in for reading this.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments perfect...I'll be able to join the party on this one :)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I am also a maybe. Too soon to see how Feb is going to go.

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I am in.

message 10: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Nov 05, 2014 11:49AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments Starting 5 February 1015?? Are you all going back in time to read this book?

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I've always wanted to read this, and I've always wanted to time travel. This must be my lucky day!

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Starting 5 February 1015?? Are you all going back in time to read this book?"

At least I got the '15 part right this time ;).

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments i'm in!

message 14: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I've wanted to read this for a long time. I'll join.

message 15: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (priscillalayarda) | 12 comments I'm in!!

message 16: by Rika-sama (last edited Dec 03, 2014 04:02PM) (new) - added it

Rika-sama | 22 comments I hope to join this, nice book and start date is my bday :>

message 17: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Anyone still starting this weekend?

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Anyone ready to start this weekend?

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I'll probably be a little later starting....I'm guessing closer to the 10th...

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Well I will start later too. Let me know anyone. I will be reading plenty of other stuff too.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments me too....later because I am next in line to get the book and I am busy reading other books as well.

message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Cool. I have the book, been on my bookshelf for many years.

message 23: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie | 6 comments I'll join in. I'm currently reading this right now so it'll be fun to join!

message 24: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Katie, should I start? Will you be available to discuss?

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments This just came in for me on the Overdrive! I'll be starting it right away. :)

message 26: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I will start too. Yeah.

message 27: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I am only just getting started, but I already suspect Arthur is an amazing writer from the jump. I have also heard people say it is hard to believe this is a male author writing this female protagonist due to the authenticity I suppose - that is always another sign of a great.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I agree Sarah, I have read a few books written by a male that did a fantastic job. I just barely started as well and I love it. This is my second time to read it and the first time I think I skipped through it quite a bit, no idea why. I am listening to the audiobook version and I love it so far.

message 29: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Enjoy the audio. This may be a little slow going for me due to work and I gotta start another book soon - The Known World by Edward P. Jones (a Pulitzer) - for my face to face book club. But I am determined. This one has been a loooong time coming for me. I really love learning about new cultures and have a feeling I am about to learn a lot about the culture of the geisha.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Sarah wrote: "Enjoy the audio. This may be a little slow going for me due to work and I gotta start another book soon - The Known World by Edward P. Jones (a Pulitzer) - for my face to face book club. But I am deter..."

I have that one on my tbr list and the Overdrive has both the kindle copy and the audio....but, I have to wait. I wished I was close enough to town to be part of a book club. I am right there with you, I love cultures and people, probably why we read a lot of the same books. :D

message 31: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Margaret - “There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.”
― Irving Stone, Clarence Darrow for the Defense