Suspense for Sensitive Readers discussion

Authors To Avoid!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments DianeAlice wrote: "I thought perhaps we could have a thread for authors that members have found to be gruesome/gory etc. I'm reading a Linda Castillo book at the moment, after hearing her mentioned a lot in another ..."

GREAT idea, DianeAlice! Thanks for being proactive. I'll be adding as I think of them (or read new ones). Thanks again!

message 2: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments Well, a looooong time ago I read a Dean Koontz novel that made me really queasy for a long time. I can't remember the name of it, this was in high school. Also, the Prince of Tides (also in high school) has a scene that was so graphic (rape) that I still remember it with a sense of despair. So sad and maddening that now it's stuck in my head FOREVER!

Others?

message 3: by C. (new)

C. J.P. wrote: "DianeAlice wrote: "I thought perhaps we could have a thread for authors that members have found to be gruesome/gory etc. I'm reading a Linda Castillo book at the moment, after hearing her mentione..."

I was wondering about her Kate Burholder series,but they sound pretty gruesome.

message 4: by DianeAlice (new)

DianeAlice C, the first book was pretty gruesome, but I did go on to read a couple more and they weren't nearly as bad. It's a good, interesting series about the Amish way of life. I found it best just to skim over those bits I didn't like in the first book. I will probably read more as I liked Kate as a character and want to see how things work out for her.

message 5: by C. (last edited Jun 17, 2015 06:03AM) (new)

C. DianeAlice wrote: "C, the first book was pretty gruesome, but I did go on to read a couple more and they weren't nearly as bad. It's a good, interesting series about the Amish way of life. I found it best just to s..."

Ok,I might give her series a try,because I really love Amish fiction.

Have you tried any of the Marta Perry Amish mysteries? I have two here from my library to try.
Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1) by Marta Perry Vanish in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #2) by Marta Perry .For some odd reason I have read the 3rd. and last book in this series,and gave it 5 stars!I have also read and loved her Pleasant Valley series.

message 6: by C. (last edited Jun 17, 2015 10:50AM) (new)

C. I enjoyed Dan Brown's Angels & Demons

The Da Vinci Code... and less so~
Inferno,but definitely cannot recommend~

Deception Point
Too Much Gruesome Gore And Profanity For Me
This is my fourth Dan Brown book,and may be my last,as it seems with each one the violence gets more gruesome,and I do not recall any of the other three so full of profanity.I think it is an excellent engrossing white-knuckle read, but the violence was over the top for me.Far too gruesome and detailed and what especially bothered me~
was his writing the violence from the victim's first person POV!!!!I found that very disturbing and distressing,and don't want to go through that again!

message 7: by DianeAlice (new)

DianeAlice Ugh, I'll give those a miss then! I haven't read any of those Amish books you mentioned but I have had a couple come up in my recommendations on the Kindle. I can't remember the author offhand. I'll let you know, and I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned. I think if you can get past the first book in the Kate Burkholder series with your eyes half shut lol you will enjoy the rest of the series.

message 8: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments Thanks for the warning--I'll give that one a pass as well. :)

C. wrote: "I enjoyed Dan Brown's Angels & Demons

The Da Vinci Code... and less so~
Inferno,but definitely cannot recommend~

Deception Point
Too Much Gruesome..."

message 9: by C. (new)

C. Oh, also I don't want to read about serial killers or psychopaths.

message 10: by C. (new)

C. After recently trying to read several by Dean Koontz, now I remember why I stopped reading his books. Too much gruesome gore and profanity! :[

message 11: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments C. wrote: "After recently trying to read several by Dean Koontz, now I remember why I stopped reading his books. Too much gruesome gore and profanity! :["

I read one of his that was so disturbing--as a teen when I read much darker stuff--that I decided to move on to other authors. Too bad, because I do think he's a great storyteller!

message 12: by C. (new)

C. It seems that most mystery/thriller/suspense authors go for the gratuitous gore and graphic sex/profanity, so I am really careful about reading the reviews for that genre. :[