Mount TBR 2015 discussion

General Information > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
My bookaholic status remains unchanged. Despite the fact that I will have knocked over 100 books off of my 2014 Mount TBR by the end of December, there are still whole mountain ranges waiting to be conquered.

So, once again, I plan to concentrate on reading primarily from my own books this year. And you're invited to join me in knocking out some of those books that have been waiting in the wings for weeks....months...even years. I own over 2000 books and have about 500-600 that need reading. [I do believe I've brought two more into the house for every book I've read.]

I'd love it if you'd tell us a bit about yourself and maybe give us an idea what your mountain range looks like. How you acquired it...any little thing you'd like to share about yourself.

message 2: by Tracey Allen (last edited Nov 05, 2014 08:58AM) (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) Your book collection is amazing! Any chance of a shelfie or two? Pics of your bookshelves? So we can all drool and admire of course.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Hello, I'm Iselin and I am a book hoarder!

When my neighbour found out that I study literature, he started giving me his used books. They came in boxes and bags. I also love second hand bookstores, and that is why my Mount TBR is currently at 158 books.

When I'm not reading or shamelessly acquiring more books, I run a little cinema at our university with some friends. I like long walks in the forest, rowing, bookbinding, and traveling the UK (I live in Germany).

This will be my first climb. I want to try my climbing skills on Mount Blanc first, but I really want my TBR to shrink to less than 100 books.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) I'm in again this year. I'm Rebecca and I have hundreds on books in both paper and ebook, so I will aim to reduce that by at least 150. My problem is I buy too many books, and then can't remember which ones I got this year. So, next year, I will make a bought in 2015 shelf to track those. I just hope I don't faint when I see the total. :)

message 5: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Tracey Allen wrote: "Your book collection is amazing! Any chance of a shelfie or two? Pics of your bookshelves? So we can all drool and admire of course."

I'll work on that...my piles are kindof unruly though.

message 6: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Iselin wrote: "Hello, I'm Iselin and I am a book hoarder!

When my neighbour found out that I study literature, he started giving me his used books. They came in boxes and bags. I also love second hand bookstores..."

Good luck! Hopefully, you'll be able to zoom up Mount Blanc and hit another mountain or two...

message 7: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "I'm in again this year. I'm Rebecca and I have hundreds on books in both paper and ebook, so I will aim to reduce that by at least 150. My problem is I buy too many books, and then can't remember..."

I've had to do that too--just started a "bought in 2014" shelf this year to help me keep better track.

message 8: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
I've had someone tell me that they can't see the Mt. Ararat folder...Anyone else have that problem? I can see it (and all the levels) just fine.

message 9: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 31 comments Bev wrote: "I've had someone tell me that they can't see the Mt. Ararat folder...Anyone else have that problem? I can see it (and all the levels) just fine."

I can see the Mt. Ararat folder and I see that someone has created a personal folder as well. Hope this helps!

message 10: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Rebecca NJ wrote: "Bev wrote: "I've had someone tell me that they can't see the Mt. Ararat folder...Anyone else have that problem? I can see it (and all the levels) just fine."

I can see the Mt. Ararat folder and I ..."

Thanks, Rebecca! I just figured out that she's not talking about the new 2015 group. She's talking about Mt. Ararat in the 2014 group...and she's right. It doesn't show up on the main menu, but it does if you click "more" or click on Discussions. Weird.

message 11: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) Bev wrote: "Tracey Allen wrote: "Your book collection is amazing! Any chance of a shelfie or two? Pics of your bookshelves? So we can all drool and admire of course."

I'll work on that...my piles are kindof u..."

That's okay, all the better :-)

message 12: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor (1001andmore) Hi. I'm Ellinor. This will be the third year of participating in this challenge for me. So far, I've read ca. 250 books from my tbr pile. But it is still growing and still large enough to do Mount Olympus several times over.
I actually would like to join the Mount Olympus group again and maybe finally reach the 150 books peak (I'll probably not make it again this year). But I'm having my first baby in April and so I don't know how much time I will then have left for reading - probably not much!
So I'll aim for a lower goal in 2015, something around 50 books. If I achieve that goal I can still move higher up.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Congrats, Ellinor, that's wonderful! And one of the few valid excuses out there for not having time to read :)
All the best!

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margaretf) | 7 comments I'm in again - for the third year as I still have about 300 tbrs! The total doesn't go down much as each year I keep getting more books! I'm aiming for Mt Ararat again and hoping to get much higher.

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Ellinor wrote: "Hi. I'm Ellinor. This will be the third year of participating in this challenge for me. So far, I've read ca. 250 books from my tbr pile. But it is still growing and still large enough to do Mount ..."

Welcome back Ellinor! Congratulations on the coming little one! Yes, I'm afraid your reading time is going to be cut back...but for a very good reason.

message 16: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "I'm in again - for the third year as I still have about 300 tbrs! The total doesn't go down much as each year I keep getting more books! I'm aiming for Mt Ararat again and hoping to get much higher."

Welcome back, Margaret!

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I currently have 198 unread books on my shelves - not counting the ebooks (I won't use them for this challenge).
This will be my first time doing this challenge, and I hope to succeed!
Like many others, I tend to buy too many books - I have no less than 13 coming my way this week! And that's not including ARCs...

message 18: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Hey! I really love next year's challenge. Finally I will be able to complete the books and clear my bookshelf for new books :D

And Zaara, my GR friend told me about this challenge, so thanks to her, and I will meet you in other threads :D

message 19: by Zaara (new)

Zaara Hi I'm Zaara, it's my first time here...it's inspiring to see how many people have returned...
The TBRs already lurking around my house make a little hillock, 150 or so books strong...since this is my first reading challenge ever outside of the generic GR challenge, I'm starting smallish. 24 books...
All the best to all of you, freshers and veterans...
And for'ard!

Crystal Starr Light (crystalstarrlight) | 16 comments Hello, I'm Crystal! 2015 will be the second year I've done this; while I "only" did Pike's Peak last year, I was really happy to FINALLY read some of the books that had been in my TBR forever. It also helped me realize that I've grown out of some genres/types of books. So this year, I'd like to read more scifi/fantasy books instead of Young Adult. Also, I hope to find more books I like and more books I read to the end (2014, I believe more than half were DNF because they were just not my thing).

Of course, I still have like 392 in my to-read pile, not to mention another 208 books I don't own but would love to read. And I don't know that all my ebooks are included in that 392 number...but hey, at least, I haven't bought a ridiculous number of books this past year that I'll end up donating!

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} (raven_tiger) | 6 comments Hello, my name is Krystle but people here tend to call me Rabbit. I am 25 years old, and live in SoCal with my partner. :)

I love books, but I have either been gifted with so many books or bought so many (I'm not complaining), that my two book shelves are crammed with books. I had to move most of my keepers to the garage unless I am reading them.

I have a huge pile of romance novels, some I barely started others haven't even looked at. That will be my focus this year, but we shall see what else I have left to tackle after that. :)

message 22: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Irene wrote: "I currently have 198 unread books on my shelves - not counting the ebooks (I won't use them for this challenge).
This will be my first time doing this challenge, and I hope to succeed!
Like many o..."

Welcome, Irene! So glad you'll be climbing with us.

message 23: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Gehna wrote: "Hey! I really love next year's challenge. Finally I will be able to complete the books and clear my bookshelf for new books :D

And Zaara, my GR friend told me about this challenge, so thanks to he..."

Welcome to the climbing crew!

message 24: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Crystal Starr Light wrote: "Hello, I'm Crystal! 2015 will be the second year I've done this; while I "only" did Pike's Peak last year, I was really happy to FINALLY read some of the books that had been in my TBR forever. It a..."

Welcome back, Crystal! Good luck with another climb and getting some more of those TBRs shifted off the mountain.

message 25: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Rabbit {it's Nano time!} wrote: "Hello, my name is Krystle but people here tend to call me Rabbit. I am 25 years old, and live in SoCal with my partner. :)

I love books, but I have either been gifted with so many books or bought ..."

Welcome, Rabbit! Good luck with your climb in 2015!

message 26: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis @Bev.... Thanks! :)

message 27: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 17 comments At this moment of time I can not "promise" how many books I will be able to read in a year only that they will be mine or borrowed/lent out to me...but I make the choice what I want to read...I work full time, night shift Hospice RN and when I come home I have my babies - dogs to "take" care of...my choice platform is B&B's Nook so eBook's are my choice now a days...Have any questions for me - ask away...My Posts are under Pike's Peak: "Jo Ann's Ant Hill"...Jo Ann :)

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 37 comments I'm joining in for another year, trying to make progress on my untouched books. I have over 500 print (paper, dead tree, hardcopy) books unread, maybe 200 eBooks unread, and now I'm starting a good audio book collection! Working in a library doesn't help much in getting to my owned books. Of course I have a fair number of library books checked out right now as well. I really love books!

Anyway, I am going to start small, at Pike's Peak level, since I'm not even sure I can get to the top of Mount Blanc this year. I need to make good progress one of these years before the avalanche hits. :-)

Good luck to everyone, and happy reading!

message 29: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Pamela wrote: "I'm joining in for another year, trying to make progress on my untouched books. I have over 500 print (paper, dead tree, hardcopy) books unread, maybe 200 eBooks unread, and now I'm starting a good..."

Good luck to you, Pamela!

message 30: by btwthesepages (new)

btwthesepages | 5 comments Can I still join? It was mentioned somewhere that 4th Nov was the last date to sign up. But is there a chance that I can still join? I would really love that. :)

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I am joining for a second year of trying to read some of my own books (instead of the piles of library books I keep checking out!). I acquired boxes of books when my parents downsized and have barely started making a dent in reading them... plus the many Kindle books that I have somehow managed to download :/

I have reached my small goal of 24 this year so I think I will aim higher next year but haven't picked a number yet...

message 32: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Arshiya wrote: "Can I still join? It was mentioned somewhere that 4th Nov was the last date to sign up. But is there a chance that I can still join? I would really love that. :)"

The cutoff is Nov 4, 2015, so you have a whole year to join still! Glad to have you with us!

message 33: by btwthesepages (new)

btwthesepages | 5 comments Oh! Guess I missed the year :P
Thanks for letting me know Jessika! And thanks for inviting me Gehna! :)

message 34: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (packerbackerhere) | 17 comments ok, i want to learn something: what is "dead tree"?

message 35: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jo Ann wrote: "ok, i want to learn something: what is "dead tree"?"

I think that just means a physical copy of a book, as opposed to an ebook or audiobook.

message 36: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Arshiya wrote: "Can I still join? It was mentioned somewhere that 4th Nov was the last date to sign up. But is there a chance that I can still join? I would really love that. :)"

Arshiya: By all means! I would love to have you join us as we climb those TBR mountains next year!

message 37: by Steven (new)

Steven (wyldemusick) | 167 comments G'day, I'm Steven, and I'm a member of the hair club for...oh wait, wrong introduction. Let me start that again...I'm Steven (better known to my friends as David), both a reader and a writer (among other things.) I'm an Englishman abroad in Tucson, Arizona, and possibly half-cactus as damp and cold do terrible things to my psyche.

My father started me reading before I entered school, which both annoyed and delighted teachers, and I quickly grew to become a menace to libraries wherever we lived (the first time I didn't blow through the entire contents of a library in months was when I was sent to Denstone College, an English boarding school; they had volumes going back for hundreds of years, and in a dozen languages.)

These days my pace is more moderate, despite living half a block from a library branch. I find this slightly galling as I own thousands of books, and keep acquiring more, and know I will never catch up. That I now own a Kindle, as well as a tablet with several different e-reader applications, is most certainly not helping with this situation...but I fault only myself for my weakness for the word, and am thankful that those Civitas Weird Tales: 101 Weird, Strange, and Supernatural Stories anthologies (clocking in between 2000 and 3000 pages) only weight as much as the Kindle does, which is a very good thing as I've purchased a good twenty of them thus far (I am quite mad, yes.)

The same, however, can't be said for the trolley (& etc.) books I keep acquiring. These have a tendency to be coffee table type volumes, and usually weigh about as much as a coffee table does. Still, there's often nothing that can beat a giant chunk of dead tree when it comes to book presentation.

I need more walls. More bookcases. And possibly therapy.

message 38: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "G'day, I'm Steven, and I'm a member of the hair club for...oh wait, wrong introduction. Let me start that again...I'm Steven (better known to my friends as David), both a reader and a writer (among..."

Welcome to the 2015 Climb, Steven (David)! I'm with you on the giant chunk of dead tree...and more walls...and more bookcases.

message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen Hi everyone, I'm Jen, and I'm happy to have found a group that will encourage me to tackle the mountain (my count isn't perfect, but it stands over 200 books high, in various formats).

Due to other reading goals for 2015 that will require some library books, I've set my modest sights on the peak of Mount Blanc. But I hope to revise that goal as I get closer!

message 40: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Jen, and I'm happy to have found a group that will encourage me to tackle the mountain (my count isn't perfect, but it stands over 200 books high, in various formats).

Due to othe..."

Hi, Jen! Welcome to the climbing crew!

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Fisher This is my first challenge, ever. My bookshelves are overflowing and I really need to be disciplined about getting these TBR before I purchase any more books! I haven't even mentioned all the other TBR that are on my Kindle. I'll start small, 12 books. I'll upgrade, if necessary. Happy reading all!

message 42: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "This is my first challenge, ever. My bookshelves are overflowing and I really need to be disciplined about getting these TBR before I purchase any more books! I haven't even mentioned all the oth..."

Welcome, Leslie! Glad to have you join our mountain trek.

message 43: by Nell (last edited Dec 07, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Nell I'm Nell and I am returning to the challenge for the second year. I found this thread at the end of 2012 until then I was facing Mt TBR on my own.

Bookcases line the walls of my living room so I stopped buying bookcases BUT I did not stop buying books. Now there are boxes and stacks of books in front of the bookcases that line the walls!! I live in a condo so I can either move to a larger space or line the wall of the dining room with bookcases or READ READ READ. I'm picking the most fun (and economical) option - reading.

This year I intend to read more hardcovers and more books that are 400+ pps. I've set my sights on Mt. Vancouver for 2015.

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 82 comments Hi I'm Lynn and I have a huge pile of books that I'm going to be found dead next to one day. But I hope to have read most of them before that happens! Since I did not make my 36 book goal I want to sign up for that one again and maybe this coming up year I will get it done! Good luck to everyone on their climbs!

message 45: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia (bookchick313) Hello fellow bibliophiles/bookworms/book hoarders. ;) 2015 will be my third year of Mount TBR, and I couldn't be happier to go another round! I successfully climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro (60 books) in 2014; however, I will be aiming slightly lower for Mt. Ararat (48 books) in 2015. This is due to the fact that I recently obtained my AA and took a little break. In January, I will be starting at a four year college full-time to obtain two Bachelor's Degrees (a B.S. and a B.A.) for the English Education program. On top of that, I will be commuting an hour one way to the college and working (hopefully) 30 hours a week, so (needless to say) I will be quite busy. My overall goal next year is to read 50 books, so if 48 of those are books I already own, I will be quite pleased! I normally read roughly 100 books a year, but decided to aim lower since I'm about to be a whole lot busier! My tbr pile (especially my digital one) is literally over 4 times the size of Mt. Olympus (yikes!). However, I'll be happy to make a dent in it, however small, especially considering the fact that I will actually be doing something other than reading next year. ;) Good luck to all! I can't wait to see everyone's progress and good reads. I hope everyone has a happy holiday, and in the New Year I will be ready to cheer everyone on! =)

message 46: by Dahlia (last edited Dec 10, 2014 11:22AM) (new)

Dahlia (bookchick313) Ellinor wrote: "Hi. I'm Ellinor. This will be the third year of participating in this challenge for me. So far, I've read ca. 250 books from my tbr pile. But it is still growing and still large enough to do Mount ..."

Ellinor, this is my third year as well! I'm experiencing a major life change in 2015 as well (though admittedly not as major as yours). I'll be a full-time college student in January, in addition to working part-time, and being a wife, which is why I'm aiming lower this year as well. Good luck with your first baby! That must be so exciting?! Do you know what you're having?

message 47: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Nell wrote: "I'm Nell and I am returning to the challenge for the second year. I found this thread at the end of 2012 until then I was facing Mt TBR on my own.

Bookcases line the walls of my living room so I ..."

Welcome back, Nell!

message 48: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "Hi I'm Lynn and I have a huge pile of books that I'm going to be found dead next to one day. But I hope to have read most of them before that happens! Since I did not make my 36 book goal I want to..."

Welcome back! And good luck making that 36 peak in 2015.

message 49: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Hello fellow bibliophiles/bookworms/book hoarders. ;) 2015 will be my third year of Mount TBR, and I couldn't be happier to go another round! I successfully climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro (60 books) in 20..."

Glad to have you back for more climbing, Lisa!

message 50: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia (bookchick313) Bev wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hello fellow bibliophiles/bookworms/book hoarders. ;) 2015 will be my third year of Mount TBR, and I couldn't be happier to go another round! I successfully climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro (60..."

Glad to be back, Bev! =)

« previous 1 3