The Sword and Laser discussion

Philosophically Interesting Sci Fi and Speculative Fiction

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dharmakirti (last edited Nov 04, 2014 02:00PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Philosopher Eric Schwitzgebel recently reached out to other professional philsophers and a couple of writers who have done graduate work in philosophy to get their recommendations for philosophically interesting books/films/tv shows belonging to the sci fi or speculative fiction genres.

The most frequently recommended author was Ursula K LeGuin and the most frequently recommended tv show was Star Trek.

See all the recommendations at this link: http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/...

Edit: The most frequently recommended tv show was Start Trek: The Next Generation, not the original series.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Paul Leiva (goodreadscomuser_stevenpaulleiva) Thanks for the link, Dharmakirti!

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments What a great list. Some of my favorite books are there and this would make a good reading list for someone new to the genre.

message 4: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Steven wrote: "Thanks for the link, Dharmakirti!"

You're welcome.

message 5: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Phil wrote: "What a great list. Some of my favorite books are there and this would make a good reading list for someone new to the genre."

I've added more than a few novels mentioned to my "To Read" list.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa How interesting! Not that I really needed my reading list to grow, since it'll probably take all of my life to get through as it stands, but I'm still excited to add many of these. ;-)

message 7: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 55 comments A fantastic list, and I'm ashamed to say that I've only read a few of them.

message 8: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Look, DADOES is on the list too.