Restricted Section Book Club discussion

NOVEMBER: Mr. Penumbra's > Part 2: The Library

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the second part of this book, "The Library".

How are you liking what's happening? What's surprised you? What do you hope happens?

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin Barrow | 37 comments I really liked the way the library was described and all of the references to books in the names of things (e.g. the bound and the unbound). The contrast between the library and the Google campus where they try to break the code is quite striking

message 3: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments So it seems like I just finished part one and wrote the review, Wait that was this morning :P

Ok so the best thing about this book is by far the Harry Potter and DND references - LOVE IT. I am however dissappointed with the end of part two but it can definetly be saved in the conclussion which you know would be normal. I Just really liked part one and part two was well - not as intruiging. There was a lack of mystery to it that the rest of the novel had. When it comes down to it though I think their is much mystery to be learned and will definelty not stop reading here haha ;)

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby This book just feels like one giant Google advertisement. Does Google have to be used for literally everything?

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments One part about the Unbroken Spine that I really liked was how when you were in the library everything was strictly old fashioned. No electronics, they were barely allowed to have electric lights. Even robes! But upstairs, computers, internet, tracking down textbook pirates (which I might be guilty of ...). Such a stark contrast, strange to think they both exist within the same oraganization.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Craswell (nicolecraswell) | 10 comments I have no clue what to think at this point. I don't know if Manutius as just screwing with everyone and there's no solution to the puzzle or if there's some weird magic solution or what. I'm curious about Penumbra, until recently he's seemed like the Gandalf/Dumbledore/Giles type character, always wise, always knowing what's going on an what to do. Now that we're getting a larger perspective on his character I'm curious as to what other things he's tried and his relationship with Corvina. But I'm still where I was at the end of section one, I have no clue where we're going from here or how everything's going to pan out.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ohfiddlesticks) | 7 comments This section brought me to the point of not being able to put the book down!!! I loved the trip to New York and the suspense of whether or not they were going to find Penumbra and be able to get what they needed to get.

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ohfiddlesticks) | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "I think clay is going to be the one to solve it. I still have a bad feeling about Kat, and I also feel like maybe Penumbra could turn out to be the "bad guy" character in this"

I was thinking the same thing about Penumbra, but I was really hoping that it wouldn't turn out that way!