Restricted Section Book Club discussion

NOVEMBER: Mr. Penumbra's > Part 1: The Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
Discussion Time!
What are your first thoughts? Do you like the characters, the world, the plot so far? Do you have any favorite quotes? Things you dislike? Theories?

*There WILL be spoilers for the first section of this book below!

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (bookzlover) I just finished the first section, I read it all today. It honestly wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I wish there was a little bit more character development because I feel like I know very little about any of the characters, however I think it adds to the mysterious air around everything. I'm definitely excited to find out what's to come.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (bookzlover) I definitely liked that it's set in modern day, for some reason I thought that it was going to be set awhile ago when I picked it up. I didn't know anything about it so for some reason I thought that. It's definitely very relevant to my knowledge set and interests with it being all about books and modern technology.

message 4: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (magicb) It took me a while to get into this book, but I am glad I did because now I can't stop reading!

I think it's the characters that kept me going. Clay is such a geek, we could easily be friends in real life.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I just finished the first section. I'm really enjoying this book. I had no idea what it was about when I started, but I like the characters and the bookstore.

I absolutely love how the books were a code to be figured out, but instead of using the books they used computers. When Mr Penumbra spoke about it like "cheating" I thought, kind of, but it was still a lot of work and it was a clever way of finding the solution where he still learned a lot, about programming, and even a bit about himself. But then I thought that was just the teacher side of me coming out.

message 6: by Colin (last edited Nov 07, 2014 08:19PM) (new)

Colin Barrow | 37 comments I liked the way that the demise of NewBagel was described ("The ovens went cold and the website went dark")

message 7: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Just really started today and I'm surpassed 100 pages... For a slow reader believe me when I say that's a lot of reading :p it's now after 2 am. Must put book down to sleep... But they just reached google :/ blah #tomorrowmorning

message 8: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Ok so i quicly finished the first section yesterday as I took a break from writing University papers (UCK!) here's my thoughts:

First off I was going to skip this month until I decided to Nanowrimo my University papers and just destroy them all very quickly lol I was still not planning on reading the Novemeber book until I saw @alice 's post describing the bookstore as being like Olivanders shop which not only got me super interested but I bought the book right away haha ... I really wish it was more like Olivanders but I do like the current story line.

I like Clay but more because of the people he surrounds himself with and agree with other posts that I wish that there was more character development but do like the mystery of it all that lack of development has provided. Im especially a big fan of his roomates, something about that interaction and relationship is just really natural. Kat is badass!!! I loce how shes a googler and how thats such a big thing but they talk about how Google is supposed to be overthrown soon by a astartup meanwhile when we see the Google world its just amazing. The super computers and all the neat programs are just well dreamy :) Im falling for Kats brain just as fast as Clay is haha.

Love the fact that his wizard and worlocks - DND- style grade 6 friend is a millionaire because he made a boob simiulator lol its funny that they wait until midbook to tell us that!

Puzzles: I thought it was really cool but im kinda sad at how its being done... I would of rathered Clay get into the puzzles like the others then realize that a program could solve it all. I just want to get more of a detailed look at these books, I wanna try solving the problems! Thats also why I was kinda dissappointed it was a picture... and not some kind of great wisdom. Still some great reading ahead! Thanks for everyone commenting/voting this one in!

message 9: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Alice wrote: "I've just finished 'The Bookstore' chapter and I'm feeling myself being drawn in.

The Mr Penumbra character and the book shop itself reminds me of Mr Ollivander (from Harry Potter) and The Librar..."

This comment is the one that intruiged me to go out and buy the book and read :) - I wasnt going to this month as Im pretty busy with University but you relating the bookstore to Olivanders had me pondering for days until I was like "screw it all I have to read this :P" Thanks!

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby I've been listening to the audiobook and the narrator is perfect! Perhaps that makes me enjoy the book more than if I had read a physical copy, but I love the fact that I don't have to pay too much attention to it. It's an easy and fun read. I'm still intrigued as to why exactly these club members are putting so much of their lives into breaking this "code", but I suppose I'll find out more throughout the book.

message 11: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (magicb) @Matt: I loved the boob simulator too. That's the best way to become a millionaire.

And I agree on the puzzle. I really really hoped that Clay would get into the puzzles first and then come up with a clever idea to solve it.

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I feel it's a bit more realistic that Clay stumbled across the solution. His interest seemed to be more with computers. It makes sense to me that he doesn't go about it the traditional way or even knows he is going about it at all.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 20 comments I am almost finished with the Bookstore section and I still don't know what I think about it. I like that it is not taking a lot of brain power to read since NaNo is hogging it all. I don't know...there is just something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. There is also something there hidden that intrigues me.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Craswell (nicolecraswell) | 10 comments I can 100% see why people are comparing Penumbra to Ollivander. They have the same ancient curiosity to them that's really intriguing. One of the things I'm finding really interesting about this book is honestly that I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. The whole mystery is so weird different that, where normally you can kind of predict plot twists, I am completely blank on what I think is going to happen next. It's a really cool experience, thus book feels so different from anything else I've read.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Craswell (nicolecraswell) | 10 comments I can 100% see why people are comparing Penumbra to Ollivander. They have the same ancient curiosity to them that's really intriguing. One of the things I'm finding really interesting about this book is honestly that I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. The whole mystery is so weird different that, where normally you can kind of predict plot twists, I am completely blank on what I think is going to happen next. It's a really cool experience, thus book feels so different from anything else I've read.

message 16: by Kristina (new)

Hey guys, I finally caught up and finished this first part! I am LOVING this book! I think the characters as fascinating - I love getting to see behind the curtain at google through Kat, I love Matopolis in Clay's living room, I love Neel's boob simulations - and I kind of love that Clay is a pretty average dude amongst all these larger-than-life seeming characters.

I, too, have NO idea what is going to happen. I'm fascinated by these puzzles and want so badly to know how people seem to get so wrapped up in them, possibly even dedicating their lives to it, and how they even find out about it. I can't wait to see what happens in New York.

I was so frustrated with Clay as he was sneaking around, stealing the logbook, etc -- I was right on the same page with Penumbra when he called it cheating. Clay obviously didn't know what he ws doing but he knew it was somewhat wrong. I loved how Penumbra was on to him immediately (the line about how the fake smelled of coffee cracked me up).

I'm also fascinated by Kate's optimistic view on the Singularity and I'm excited to see how it all fits together.

message 17: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments Just finished this section. I'm enjoying the book, but mostly I just feel like the author is way, way smarter than me.

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Virginia wrote: "Just finished this section. I'm enjoying the book, but mostly I just feel like the author is way, way smarter than me."

I am getting that feeling so much as well.

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ohfiddlesticks) | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "I have no idea where this book is headed, but I absolutely LOVE it! Unpopular opinion: I don't really love Kat. I thought I would when she was first introduced, but the way that she keeps involving..."

I'm still working on the first section (I finally got my library copy) and I'm really not sure I love Kat either! I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!

What do any of you know of Sloan's descritpions of Google and working there? Did he make all of that up or is it actually like that? I am serious in asking this - I don't have a clue, but it seems really strange. :)