Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
This topic is about Prince of Thorns
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lawrence, Mark- Prince of Thorns(The Broken Empire #1);Informal Buddy Read:Starts November 13 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 04, 2014 10:14AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

Book Synopsis:
When he was nine, he watched as his mother and brother were killed before him. At thirteen, he led a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king.

It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage.

Life and death are no more than a game to him and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce his will, can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Greta (new) - added it

Greta | 1459 comments I'd love to read thus one but it'd have to be later this month so I will see when you all set the start date.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in. :)

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Nov 04, 2014 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'll try to squeeze this one in.
I fell in love with Mark Lawrence's writing after reading Prince of Fools.

message 7: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments If I can get this from the library by the time you guys start this, I may join you.

Cynthia (cynthiab) This book sounds great. I'm in, too.

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Ready to start whenever, Vi. My copy arrived today, so it will depend on when you can get yours? Next week?

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments I've read this one, but if you move into the second book, I'll join then.

Priscilla (priscillalayarda) | 12 comments I'm in!! I've got my copy already :D

message 12: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Anytime next week will work for me. I have the book on hand - just need to finish the ones I've started for other challenges. Would next week work for everyone?

message 13: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Rebecca NJ wrote: "If I can get this from the library by the time you guys start this, I may join you."

Hey Rebecca! You're reading a dark fantasy? :O

message 14: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:11AM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Vi wrote: "Hey Rebecca! You're reading a dark fantasy? :O"

Sure, why not?!? This has been a year of branching out for me so we'll see how this goes :)

I should have it soon but you don't have to wait for me.

message 15: by Greta (new) - added it

Greta | 1459 comments Next week is better for me too!

Priscilla (priscillalayarda) | 12 comments Next week will do!

Claire  | 3588 comments I'd like to join you if you don't mind :)

message 18: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Just a confirmation - will 13/14 November work for everyone?

Cynthia (cynthiab) Sounds great.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Sounds good to me. I've updated the start date.

Claire  | 3588 comments great ! I can't wait :)

Snowtulip | 4439 comments This one has been sitting on my shelf forever! Count me in :)

message 23: by Nancy (last edited Nov 13, 2014 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I have the book, ready to start today (13th!)

Kristin | 840 comments I was undecided on this book and then read the first couple of pages and decided to go with it so I'm going to be joining you now :)

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Well, I've just started with Chapter 1. I'm already interested to see how the author is going to make the main character sympathetic because he doesn't seem very pleasant right now! I'm intrigued...

Kristin | 840 comments I agree NancyHelen. But I'm only 4 pages in! Hopefully he has some redeeming qualities about him.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm starting Chapter 11. All I can say is Whew...I thought Locke Lamora was an anti-hero but Jorg takes it up a notch.

Can't believe I'm reading another jumping timeline!

Kristin | 840 comments (view spoiler)

message 29: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 9707 comments Hopefully my copy from the library comes in soon!!

Priscilla (priscillalayarda) | 12 comments I'm late!! I'm on the first page!
"Ravens! Always the ravens"

message 31: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I'm at chapter 8 or so. I have to wait and see about the MC. I agree with Kristin. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Cynthia wrote: "I'm starting Chapter 11. All I can say is Whew...I thought Locke Lamora was an anti-hero but Jorg takes it up a notch.

Can't believe I'm reading another jumping timeline!"

LOL! Locke Lamora seems tame to Jorg. Except for (view spoiler) he seemed like a mischievous boy, you know?

Claire  | 3588 comments NancyHelen wrote: "Well, I've just started with Chapter 1. I'm already interested to see how the author is going to make the main character sympathetic because he doesn't seem very pleasant right now! I'm intrigued..."

You're absolutely right

Claire  | 3588 comments Vi wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "I'm starting Chapter 11. All I can say is Whew...I thought Locke Lamora was an anti-hero but Jorg takes it up a notch.

Can't believe I'm reading another jumping timeline!"

LOL! Lo..."

Just started chapter 4. And Locke Lamora is a cute kitten next to Jorg

message 35: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Lol! Absolutely. Has anybody read The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie ? Apparently, this book is supposed to be a wannabe of that one. Both are dark fantasy.

Claire  | 3588 comments Can't say I have... This is actually my first try at dark fantasy.
Have you? Is it any good?

message 37: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments I just got notice that this came in at the library - I'm going to try to pick it up today. Although I should really try to finish Locke Lamora first!

Kristin | 840 comments Vi wrote: "Lol! Absolutely. Has anybody read The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie? Apparently, this book is supposed to be a wannabe of that one. Both are dark fantasy."

I have that on my to-read-maybe list. I don't think I've ever read any dark fantasy. I like this one so far but Jorg just seems like a really messed up kid.

Cynthia (cynthiab) Vi wrote: "Lol! Absolutely. Has anybody read The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie? Apparently, this book is supposed to be a wannabe of that one. Both are dark fantasy."

I've read about 20% of The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie and 60% of Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence . The only similarities I see are superficial genre ones, characteristics of dark fantasy.

However, Joe Abercrombie released Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie earlier this year (so if anyone's copying, he is) and it sounds like it has some similarities. From the description: “I swore an oath to be avenged on the killers of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath” and "Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could."

Okay, now about the book! Spoilers abound!
Thru Chapter 25 (view spoiler)

Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

message 40: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Angel wrote: "Can't say I have... This is actually my first try at dark fantasy.
Have you? Is it any good?"

yep, I've read The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie which I actually liked despite the violence. It's definitely dark but not as much as this. I've also read the Night Angel trilogy by Brent weeks (Starts with The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks ) which features an assassin hero. That was my first dark fantasy. I haven't read much more.

I'm only 10% in and I have to say, Jorg is nearing towards a villain than a anti-hero. He is really distasteful (to be polite). So much so that I've considered DNF-ing. (view spoiler). I'll check back in when I read more.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I've finished it, and I liked it a lot. I gave it 4 stars, but I would say it's more 4- than 4+. It doesn't have as much depth of character as The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch , but it's also about half the length.

It's an interesting world, but I don't have a good feel for it. Maybe it would be better to say I don't feel like I have the whole picture. It's an incomplete vision in my mind.

After spending 2 hours waddling through The Map of Time (Trilogía Victoriana, #1) by Félix J. Palma and it's excesses, brevity was definitely a plus in my mind and may have caused me to overrate.

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Vi wrote: "I'm only 10% in and I have to say, Jorg is nearing towards a villain than a anti-hero. He is really distasteful (to be polite). So much so that I've considered DNF-ing..."

I am inclined to agree with you, Vi. I have read a little bit further, and there are at least some explanations for why Jorg is the way he is, but I don't think it quite justifies it, IMO. He's pretty unpleasant, and I am hoping that he starts doing something to redeem himself.

It is interesting also how the author has combined a fantasy world with a real one. Jorg reads Plutarch, for instance, and yet the world he is existing in is definitely not ours.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'm just starting this one now. Looking forward to it! I love anti-heroes.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Ok, a few chapters in and I already miss Jalan from Prince of Fools. He's manipulative, sarcastic, and cowardly, but he does have some morals. Buried very deep down. I absolutely loved him.
Jorg is a little harder to like so far. I like anti-heroes, but not when they're (view spoiler).

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I will start this one tomorrow. :)

message 46: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I'm upto chapter 16. It's slow going since I'm doing two BR at the same time.

I like reading the backstory of Jorg. Like NancyHelen says, it gives quite an explanation but does not justify it. But I'm definitely intrigued by his motives.

NancyHelen - It's true about the world. His tutor for example sounds like chinese to me? The author is probably using the same geography, time etc but the kingdom looks to be fictional.

message 47: by Claire (last edited Nov 16, 2014 03:17AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Claire  | 3588 comments Kristin wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

You're absolutely right. It's do strange to think that he's only 14. (view spoiler) *shivers*

Priscilla (priscillalayarda) | 12 comments Im in chapter 37 and things really heat up here that I really cany leave the book

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Vi wrote: "I'm upto chapter 16. It's slow going since I'm doing two BR at the same time.

It's true about the world. His tutor for example sounds like chinese to me? The author is probably using the same geography, time etc but the kingdom looks to be fictional. ..."

I hadn't caught that about his tutor, but you could be right. The combination of real and fantasy means I do have to think quite hard. So, did Plutarch come from Greece? Does Greece exist? Or am I over thinking it now?! :-)

message 50: by Kristin (last edited Nov 16, 2014 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristin | 840 comments I'm up to Chapter 26 now. I actually really like this book and I don't think Jorg is as bad of a person as we think. At least I'm hoping there's even more to his story that we were made to believe. (view spoiler)

« previous 1